Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Syndicate: Remastered

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2003 11:44
Why?
What can be more straightforward than pasting images at 2D locations?

Van-B

My cats breath smells of cat food.
Dreamora
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2003 13:02
ok complicated was the wrong word, but 2D operations are quite slow in DBC that's why I thought about plains.

Beside this, with textured plains the zdepth is done internally on graphicshardware.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2003 13:16
Yeah, I know what you mean - I'll probably take a look at plains. I think the best bet is to take the whole lot and compile it in DBPro, especially is Uber wants multiplayer (which would be great!). The code works in DBPro already, so it should run ok once it's finished and compiled in DBPro.

Van-B

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2003 16:17
i just had another flagtagnastic idea, syndicate meets star wars meets future pirates. it will be an online no aim rpg (moreso a chat room with moveable avatars that can attack each other ) built on teh syndicate remastered system you can choose between on eof the syndicate characters, a jedi, a rebel pilot (in those orange suits), a rogue star wars character (han solo style), or a pirate, and once i bother to implement it, customizeable characters, i got first dibs on the rogue outfit with pirate head and large syndicate overcoat . and van b dont get too spaced out with my ideas just yet, lets work on getting syndicate remastered working properly before we go adding multiplayer support. but while im bored atm im gonna design some characters for this mmorpg. oooh even better idea, im gonna mix dark trek into this, star trek characters aswell.man i betterget going on these graphics.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2003 16:46
Rob,
I'm just trying to get a basic engine together, once it's done it won't be game specific, I mean it won't work exactly like syndicate. I'll make it as free as possible, like easily being able to specify different character sprite sets etc. Once the basic engine is done though, you can add whatever crazy pirate-esque ideas you like.

Van-B

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2003 16:52 Edited at: 19th Sep 2003 16:53
oh van thats cool i dont want it to be exactly like syndicate, if i were gonna go into that detail then i would work on the code myself more, but just as long as i get an engine that lets players walk around and go behind buildings etc i can make whatever fantasmical plans i want just by changing the graphics,which is why i want a free form engine that allows for multiplayer so i can jsut throw in whatever graphics i can and make it work. sorry if im getting ahead of myself with these fantasmical posts of ideas i just get a little hypo and visionary at nights.

her eis a quick model of the pirate :0

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2003 17:19
Hehe, looking good, although a little clean if you ask me . What I was thinking is a little text file to go with each sprite set, just telling the engine what size it is, the offsets, etc etc - and you can use the image file to store an avatar too. That way, everyone could make their own character really easily and it'd be part of the engine automatically. Look out for Van-B the cybermonkey!.

Van-B

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2003 06:41
now i know why rob likes that movie about the pirates of the carribean, i saw it yesterday and it was brilliant.

http://www.lunarpixel.com
It's already tomorrow in Australia
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2003 14:02
yeah i got it a while back for my gf, it was pretty neat, but thats not the only reason why i like pirates so much, movies like yellow beard, and stories like that told by maddox are the reason. but thats a good idea van b, causei was trying to figure out how we could implement personalized avatars, cause for others to see it they'd need to download the image first, so i was thinking they could upload to the server and everyone has a download bar running in the background but have the model displayed as a default untill it downloads. btu anyway lets get the basic engine done first.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2003 06:03
Just emailed you some new code, pretty cool - a right bugger though!, taken hours!. I need a few new sprites to add the profile thingy.

Van-B

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2003 12:11
my wallet's in the car!

ok i can send you the blue green and white guys if you want. infact i will send them even if you dont want, im going to pickup viet cong and raven shield tonight so i dont know what time i will get home and send it. but u will have it by tomorrow

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2003 17:11
update: i got home and tried the test, its good, the guys stop when they hit the building too, very good. but i get 4 frames with even just 2 guys on screen :/, but thats cause thru some unfortunate happenings i've upgraded my geforce 4 mx440 to a riva tnt2..... :/
i wont bother you guys with the details of how this has come to be but it will be an undeterminable amount of time till this has changed back. anyway i will send you the green white and blue aswell as a guard bot now then off to bed with me.

BZleader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2003 17:18
I know a faster sprite mode...
Set the BACKDROP ON and set all the sprite on the screen with: SET OBJECT number,0,1

Lead programmer and 3d modeller of BORZgames
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2003 13:25
Ahh, BZ - we aren't using sprites, just paste image.

Rob,
I think psuedo 3D or even full 3D is the way to go. I'll look into both methods, but I reckon that'd keep the frame rate up, still using 2D sprites for the characters though, only drawn over a 3D backdrop. Full 3D would involve making low poly models of the buildings - but I can do that easily so it's not a problem. This means that it won't look like the original, but we can still maintain the atmosphere and feel, just in a rotatable environment. I'll take a look later in the week, gotta get some work done on this compo first.

Van-B

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2003 16:41
hehe roger that one vb, i've already got some buildings done in 3d, i made them in milkshape and they are basically cubes with textures, i made them so i could try and make iso building tiles but it didnt turn out too well. and its running slow on my machine caus ei got the tnt2 :/ but if you think 3d is the way to go then so be it, but how fares db with 2d on 3d? oh and btw im gonna start makign a jedi character using the same image as the white guy, just modify the trenchcoat to make it a jedi outfit. will post as soon as i have the downward facing sprite.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2003 16:55
Ahh, sorry - should've said, the characters will be simple plains, not 2D at all - all in all it should work out a lot smoother, plus you get the added bonus of ghostable images for explosions and gunfire etc. Hehe, forgot to say but I was bored yesterday afternoon and made a sprite for this.... A tiny monkey bouncing on a space hopper! - looks great with 100 space-hopping monkeys running the city!.

Van-B

Preston C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2003 18:40
SHOW US A PIC, SHOW US A PIC!!!!!

I really wanna see a pic of all those monkey running through the city.

Dark Basic Pro has arived! I can feel the power!
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2003 19:29
Hehe, I can't upload anywhere, so I'll email a screenie later to yourself and Uber'Rob.

Van-B

Preston C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2003 00:45
I've uploaded it for everyone to see, hope you dont mind.

Dark Basic Pro has arived! I can feel the power!
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2003 01:44
Hehe, cheers .

Did some speed tests with plains instead of paste image.

In DBC, paste image:
300 characters = 5fps
50 characters = 25fps

In DBC, plains:
300 characters = 13fps
50 characters = 75fps

In DBPro, plains:
300 characters = 35fps
50 characters = 125fps

Is still have to sort out the zdepth, but I'll try and get the new code finished soon.

Van-B

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2003 10:09
excellent, i cant work on that jedi image i was making cause, well after my first attempt it came out more like a monk from a mad kung fu movie, although thats cool still i will add him. But my friend came on and i tried replacing my tnt2 back to the gf4 but uh, my computer makes beeping noises when it starts up and the screen wont show anything. i tried putting the tnt2 back but it doesnt work either :/ so it may be a while before i can do more work, anyway i cant wait till i see how that 3d plains runs.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2003 11:10
Sounds like your PC is not recognising your AGP card. You could try cleaning the slot carefully with some cleaning alchohol, usually it's just a loose GFX card, make sure your card is inserted snuggly.

My last PC would do the same thing, just reinserting the card usually worked for me.

Van-B

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2003 12:31 Edited at: 23rd Sep 2003 12:38
yeah i tried doin that a few times, didnt want to go.

oh and i worked on my gfs compouter modifying the graphics to make a few new characters, i started cause i asked my gf what she wanted as her chracter in the multiplayer thing and she gave me an image of this giorl off a web comic called el goonish shive, i've worked on the whole line of anims facing down, and i also made myself a pirate. the image might be hard to see here but download the image adn then use photo shop to zoom in, windows pic n fax viewer blurs it so use a proper paint program.

[edit] yeah i thought save you the trouble i enlarged it on photoshop and put it up

M00NSHiNE
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2003 13:17
Are we going to be able to use custom sprites for characters, that would be really cool.

"It's amazin' what you can do with a computer and access to t'internet"
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2003 13:20
the answer is yes you clod!

(simpsons quote)

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2003 15:02 Edited at: 23rd Sep 2003 15:31
new one! samurai!

[edit] every second image has been fixed so the hair is in the center, this makes the hair animation smoother. and i've also got an indiana jones one too, havent started work on other angles, just down. will work on them some other time or give to others to finish for me. any takers please yell out, cause you can use them in your own games aswell free of charge.

M00NSHiNE
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2003 00:47
Dont suppose you could post a complete sprite sheet containing all anims, so that I could draw over them with new characters? It would make it easier forme to create my character. Which will rock.

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2003 04:18 Edited at: 24th Sep 2003 04:21
sure thing dude,. head over to teh 2d forumsand look for the isometric sprite thread i made, it has the image of the guy that you can edit.

[edit] ah heck i'll make it easier for ya

tip for editing: some of the lines of animation are the previous angle's mirror, so to save re drawing just copy theline and mirror it. also some of the frames are the same as the one two before it, so copy and paste works.

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2003 17:36 Edited at: 24th Sep 2003 17:38
werd up guys, to help me with the workload on images and to add to everyones originality ive made up a template for the player model! thats right just fill in teh blanks and you can have your very own player avatar, compatible with syndicate remastered and with teh upcoming mmog "Dark Phantasy" (tentative title?). just go here
http://www.angelfire.com/wizard2/unpotkf/template1.bmp
to download, or failing that , save image as

M00NSHiNE
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2003 19:15
Sorted!! Thanks a lot mate, and that templates a really good idea, should make the process a lot easier.

elVee
Years of Service
User Offline
I'd like to see how this turns out
Magpie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2003 18:55
Wouldn't it be a lot easier to do this all in 3d? You could have very quick processing, a handful of camera angles (or fully customizable) and a lot less space taken up by the charactor brushes.

Hell, what do I know?

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2003 15:03
yeah but it loses its original 2d form. id much rather keep it 2d but if 2d characters on 3d is easier then so be it. i still wanna use this engine for the mmog too. which im doin some work on atm. gettin a few things sorted out with force powers and weapons etc. pretty funky no?

Philip
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2003 20:02
This guy is nuts.

I LIKE HIM!

Philip

What do you mean, bears aren't supposed to wear hats and a tie?
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2003 05:58
rogering that one daultry

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2003 17:58 Edited at: 21st Oct 2003 17:59
new screenshot. actually runs really well with my new computer setup. but her eis a screen of my jedi/pirate character waaah jedi!

[edit] ugh plz excuse the poor quality as i havent installed photoshop yet. go ms paint's jpg encoder!

M00NSHiNE
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2003 20:54
Those Jedi look very friendly.... their sabers are green!!!

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Revenge of the Marrowhacks...
Yeah look like marrows.
J/K

Nah I actually think the game looks really good. Good old isometric games. I'd be too afraid to attempt one with my current skills. Maybe one day....DbProPro

Pincho.
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2003 04:44
haha yeah they do resemble the marrowhacks, damn it i cant remember the simpsons quote about the marrowacks. yeah sorry bout the poor quality of the picture but, its sorta hard to see the detail but he has an olvie green shirt and a sort of jedi style robe belt that goes over his shoulders and around his wist with tassles on either side then black pants and a green saber. green is my favourite colour

zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2003 06:47
Why not use PNGs? OK compression that is lossless.
--
TAZ
Wolfish King
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2003 18:36
Hey, i've played Syndicate on the SNES. But i was 8 years old... This game looks great keep up the good work. I like the Jedi/Pirates.
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2003 01:09
tnx wolf. update: i have done some work at home while i havent been on the net, cant upload anything from my gf's computer here, but atleast you know the project is still alive. i been working on a d20 system, think i will work on teh force powers, but i did just pick up my new copy of rogue squadron 3 so i dunno when i will get round to it

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2003 09:26
pirates whoa, wait, wrong thread.

greenlig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2003 13:53
hey, this is a nice lookig game mate!! lol, im comign through melbourne in a few weeks!!

w00t!

regards
greenlig

I got best and fairest for soccer WHOOHOOO!
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2003 11:53
hey van b, the bathmat in my gf's bathroom is done by amy van c. she is one better than you anyway how is the game coming along? or has it slipped into the pile of not doingness

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2003 10:47
Hey Uberwigget .

Your game has sorta been buried alive under all my compo stuff, gonna be working on my compo entry for the next 3 weeks.

I will start your engine properly in January though, I have a few ideas to run by you after playing LOGD that mainly concearn the game logic and interface. In the meantime you could work on some nice combat routines in DBC if your sick of pixel pushing.

Van-B

I laugh in the face of fate!
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2003 09:36 Edited at: 20th Dec 2003 23:39
rgr that i will see what i can get onto, and i should be getting adsl soon. but i might not be able to use my gf's computer for much longer. so hope to see ya in the next few weeks

also im gonna work on a small 3d tactical 3rd person shooter (still thinkin maybe 2d) on war in iraq. gonna be based on aussie troops there fighting undead nazi iraqi soldiers.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 07:25:08
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 07:25:08