Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Demented Fun Studios' Boredom Shooters - In need of feedback.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2010 17:19 Edited at: 5th Feb 2010 00:48
Hello, everyone.

I've been using darkbasic for quite some time now (like 6 years) and last year I had decided to put it to good use. Well at least try it. Not too long ago I had posted about it in Program Announcements but I was in a rush and I'm pretty sure I didnt even get to two lines in the post.

So the name of the game is Boredom Shooters and my company is Demented Fun Studios. The game is written in DBPro and it only uses the DBP collision plugin. Boredom Shooters is a third person arcade game with a bird's eye perspective where the point of the game is to survive the infinite waves of zombies. The game handles up to 8 players on LAN (TCP/IP.. I'll have a server sometime soon for internet play) although it has never been tested with that many people. There are 4 different game types in multiplayer: Free Merc, Team Merc, Head Hunt and Survivor; basically deathmatch, team DM, a twist on capture the flag and co-op zombie game. There are 11 weapons and 3 grenades to pick from and the game has a map editor built in. The demo however does not offer all these things... there are only 6 weapons and no map editor and only 4 people in multiplayer.

The only real bug that I know of in the game right now happens if you join a game when its already going (There is a "lobby" thing and it works fine if the game starts from there, but if a person joins a game after the lobby part it can crash...

The game was created in a P4 3ghz 1GbRam 512Mb DDR2 ATI (its like 8 years old now except for the upgraded video card) and it runs fine on this machine except for when I turn on the shadow effect... then it skips when zombies are appearing. The game has also been tested on a few laptops and it ran fine as long the settings weren't maxed out (mainly the shadows get ya).

So I'm just looking for some feedback on the demo and trying to get to know what people think about it. There is still a lot of room for improvement and I'd like to know what you think can be done to better this game.

The demo can be found at http://dfs-gaming.webs.com/downloads.htm. So please feel free to play the crap out of it till it breaks then let me know what you feel about it.

I want to take this opportunity to thank the DB community for helping me out before when I had other problems (like rockets going through walls and such) and the Game Creators for creating a simple straight forward language for game development. Thank you.

Thiago,
Demented Fun Studios L.L.C.

www.dfs-gaming.webs.com
C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2010 19:24
feedback$="awesome!!!!!!, it loox so cool !!!"

Cybermind
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2010 19:57
keep it up

The byte chrunchers are coming...
Demented Fun Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2010 21:30
Thank you guys. I noticed none of those screenshots showed any enemies or any real action so here are some new ones.

www.dfs-gaming.webs.com
Satchmo
Years of Service
User Offline
Omg it looks so awesome! I said that with a sad face because I have a project thats so similar...lol. This looks leagues ahead of what I have though, gj I want to see more.

TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2010 23:45
Looking very nice. Good work.

But can you reduce the first batch of screenshots to make them a little more forum-friendly please? (When they are that wide, even in 1024x768 screen mode they stretch the page and you can't read the text without scrolling across).

The second batch of screenshots are all perfect.

TDK

Cybermind
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2010 00:21
You got a real nice look there in the game, nice style but my eyes would like to see a wall texture that compliments the rest of the game, in my eyes, that textures looks a little too different from the rest of the graphic look you got going
other than that, fantastic game

The byte chrunchers are coming...
Demented Fun Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2010 18:26
Hey thanks everybody for the feedback! Much appreciated. I did change the walls a little bit but it wasnt so much the texture, just the lighting.. I'm still working out a few kinks with it. I decided to stop by and post about some videos on single players and multiplayer gameplay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZMe_vIQ3b8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8fynWU3PNs

www.dfs-gaming.webs.com

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 02:20:46
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 02:20:46