Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / "AUTOWARRIORS" Autodual Type Clone new progress

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2010 23:15 Edited at: 14th Feb 2010 13:03
First here are the newest screen shots from my project.

You can see the roads and bridges over a terrain. I created a scripting system that places where curves start, how sharp they are.

I am continuing my work with this project. It truly is a work in progress where I am adjusting the various media, images, models, trying to make something reasonably realistic. I admit most of what I have is standing in for now and is subject to be replaced with something better. I have to look at some of those fancy water animations techniques.

This game is based upon an old 8-bit game called Autodual, which had an MS-DOS version, Commodore 64 version, Atari 8-Bit (800XL) version. Think there were Amiga & Atari ST versions. The graphics were quit primitive by the standards of today, it was done in 1985. It was cross platform and game play was almost the same on the different systems. What I am doing is moving the basic Role Playing elements over into a modern 3D environment.

New Images now show its ability to intersect on-ramps and off-ramps. Can now also do multiple curves on a bridge.

If you are familiar with the original game, it has you going between buildings to build up your player. You go to an assembly plant to build your car, go to an Arena and compete, a garage for maintenance, and an AADA where you can earn money by making deliveries to buildings in other cities. There were other places doing functions.

AutoWarriors is going to be a variant and include buildings doing different things. For example I am going to have gas stations, city halls, and used car lots. Doing some of these things to avoid copyright conflict from the original game since it will be costly to obtain the rights from a card game which is also serving the basis for this game.

I would like to bounce ideals off of other creative people on this forum and see if I can fine tune my game. Still looking for helpers, programming, modeling, etc. But that is strictly voluntary at this point.
C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2010 23:34 Edited at: 7th Feb 2010 23:58
Well, it caught my eye. I don't know quite why, but I like the look of it, just because it's cartoony and has all the elements I look for in good games: weather, trees, diversity and large areas. (Whether it will stay that way or not doesn't matter to me.)

What did you make the terrain in by the way?

Although I admit, you don't need 5 WIPs for this project, I still want to see what you're actually going to do to this game.

PeteyM5
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2010 01:24
I am making my terrain with Advance Terrain at the moment. I am considering testing my game with Blitz Terrain. I am intending the game to use very large areas, going to be connecting multiple terrains together for cities and for the highways connecting cities. I did not intend the game to look cartoony, going to start swapping out textures and models for more realistic elements.

I am sorry I made multiple WIPs Posts, but because I took a long break from it, this forum board locked me out. Right now I am testing the routines that load or draw the elements, the road and bridge element are big important ones.
marlou
Years of Service
User Offline
Good work on the scripting and stuff.

Nice work in progress! =)

I think with more buildings and trees, the game would slow down to a crawl. I would recommend Ogre3d rendering engine for rendering massive amounts of trees, swaying grasses and infrastructures because of their good paging support. If you could do C++, better check it out.

When a person has nothing but a dream, can he dare to dream.
charger bandit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2010 19:33
Once I see some videos of like driving physics ect. I would be glad to make the media for pretty much the whole game.

A.K.A djmaster
PeteyM5
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2010 22:39 Edited at: 28th Feb 2010 22:31
I am working on some things to get around the problem when too many buildings, trees, roads, cars, pop up on the scenery. One is to use billboard trees behind the ones made with Treemagic, that way it appears you are driving by a forest. I was experimenting with a flat image of trees behind 3d trees also. I have portions of the game figured out in DarkBasic and don't know C++. I am not willing to start programming from the start again.

Buildings are blocky and usually low polygon count, so I don't think having many will cause a slowdown. I am working out how to make a paging system in Dark Basic, have it add stuff in the distant background as your car is approaching it. I did something similar in Visual Basic and Truevision3D engine for a RPG maker I created.

I will soon be adding a interface for creating your custom car at the start of the game and then I can start doing the driving physics.
PeteyM5
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2010 02:23 Edited at: 28th Mar 2010 03:01
Here is my current work in progress for Auto Warriors. I am continuing to do some work on the programming and probably spend too much time on tweaking the scenery elements. Trying to make things look better. I am looking for advice and assistance from community members on here to help me improve this game. I know people play around with that Blitz Terrain system and other ways to animate water and if someone wants to incorporate that stuff into my project, please do and let me see how it looks.

I have been recently working on a way to generate a forest by putting the higher polygon trees toward the roads. Then have simpler trees with lower polygon counts further away. In regions that wont normally be drivable during the game. I think with some more tweaking, it will look great.

I am going to try to concentrate more on the game play and user interface now.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
PeteyM5
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2010 02:27 Edited at: 28th Mar 2010 03:02
Sorry about the double post, something must have happen when I uploaded the main zip file to this board.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Grayvyn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2010 00:27
I played AutoDuel back in the '80s as well. Wasn't it a post-nuclear world? So it doesn't have to be so green and full of trees, etc. Maybe make it more like the movie The Road Warrior?

For me, I prefer to focus on features mostly then go back and make it look nice. So, I wouldn't spend a whole lot of time on scenery like trees/forests. I haven't played it yet but perhaps get a mail run mission working between 2 cities then you can start adding AI and enemies plus prestige points for completing missions to get better ones and saving. Testers will desire that soon.

PeteyM5
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2010 02:29
Something I stated when I was starting this project was that I wasn't going to clone Autodual/Car Wars 100% to avoid copyright infridgement. The Car Wars copyright is currently active under Steve Jackons Games. I am making updates and alterations to the original design. For example, The Prestige Point system will be replaced with an Experience Point/Skill Level setup similar to a Role Playing Game (RPG). The basic mail runs and missions will still happen within the game, but can now be based on your skill level. With the more powerful modern PC, I can add many more features, just as long as I don't over do it.
Dr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2010 00:50
Quote: "I am sorry I made multiple WIPs Posts, but because I took a long break from it, this forum board locked me out. "

I feel your pain. That happens a lot.

This looks interesting. Cool that you've got somthing that can make and link up roads, bridges and stuff.

I think what people would most like to know more about is the gameplay. Either a link to a vid of the original game and how it relates to what you want, or a description or something. Is it going to be realtime car driving and combat, or turn based? Is it going to be viewed from above, or inside the car, 3rd person? Stuff like that strongly affects what limitations and requirements you have for the media.

Also people will be much more forthcoming with help with media, code etc if they know what's going on, what you want, and that the project is going to get done. So i'd suggest working with placeholders. If you get the game done apart from dropping in media, i'm pretty sure someone will make you some. If noone else wants to, i have a copy of Milkshape and some (admittedly rather crappy) modelling skills. If you want some good placeholders (or even decent final media), try ShareCG.

PeteyM5
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2010 04:41 Edited at: 2nd Apr 2010 14:12
I am looking to make it 3rd person, chase view of the vehicle you are controlling. The original game was from above and was done with 1980s 2D graphics. I could set up the ability of switchable cameras. One of the inspirations for my 3D environment is Need for Speed, would like to have graphics looking as good as the later versions of that game.

The game will be real time driving and combat. I think there is room to do it as both a single player game or multi-player over a network game. I hope I can work with some others to figure how to make something like this profitable. I cannot promise anything at this point.

As for help with programming, I would not mind some help with tweaking the code that controls the scenery and effects so I can concentrate more on the game play. I started with working on the scenery because I wanted the game have a rich scenery feel to it. These routines can be reused for other future racing games.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 14:34:08
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 14:34:08