Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / SetShadowShadingOn method is too slow

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2010 07:56
Even when using a stencil shader (stencilshaderbone.fx) it's still too slow -- the framerate dips to a crawl when my player interacts with NPCs (that also have shadows). Surely DarkGDK is faster than this as I recently played another game that was made in DarkBASIC Pro that used shadows and the framerate stayed strong (and their game was more graphically intensive than mine).
Aldur
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2010 08:01
Did the game made with DBP use native shadow shading commands or a shader?

It has always been known to be a slower and more resource drawing method of drawing shadows which is why many simply skip using them and use shaders instead.

If you look at some of Evolved's demos you will notice how much faster they are than in-built commands.

Christopher Reeves
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2010 08:16 Edited at: 14th Feb 2010 08:20
Thank you so much, Aldur!

I was under the impression that I actually *was* using a shader when I called SetShadowShadingOn, I thought it was using shadowshaderbone.fx but I guess that's not all there is to it, huh?

It's not that the framerate is BAD, most of the time it's good (appx. 70-80 fps), but for some reason when my player's shadow is casted upon objects in my world or other players it sharply takes a dip.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-02 01:44:10
Your offset time is: 2024-10-02 01:44:10