Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / How to make water in 2D?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2010 02:03 Edited at: 17th Feb 2010 02:04
How can I make water effects for my 2D platformer game? I'd like the water to behave like the water and lava in the New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Love that game ). Basically, I want the water to ripple gently when unaffected by other objects falling into it, but then when an object hits the water's surface, gives two small waves traveling in opposite directions that travel across the water, slowly fading away. Thanks in advance!

Join the dark side. We have cookies!
Mireben
Years of Service
User Offline
I don't know the Mario game but in 2D, my first idea would be an animated sprite. You can draw the water animation phases in a picture editor. If the bounding box of the sprite changes (like water sprouting up in a fountain when something hits it), you can add a second sprite above it which is only visible when necessary and hidden when the animation is finished.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-02 01:24:22
Your offset time is: 2024-10-02 01:24:22