Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / fluidGDK

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2010 04:36 Edited at: 17th Mar 2010 07:41
Well this is my first post in this board and I had been eager to get on here so I thought I may as well post what I had been upto for the last couple of days.

I recently started working with native DirectX9 and thought I'd start to wrap it and see what I could learn about using it.

I have had a lot of fun with this so far and I think that I will continue to work on it, as a bit of a hobby project, nothing too serious

Here are a couple of screens, one from DarkGDK and one from my wrapper, fluidGDK.

fluidGDK:

DarkGDK:

List of current functions in fluidGDK.

Working on lots more very soon! Criticism and comments welcome. This is not a serious project though remember, so I won't be working too hard on getting it perfect but I will take suggestions if there are enough!

Thanks all,

Aldur.

EDIT:
I cleaned up a lot of my functions and made them a bit more object oriented.

I also added a few extra (27/02/2010) and aim to have about 10 new ones to post about tomorrow!

I will soon be adding input functions so that I can release a small demo of what fluid is currently capable of.

Thanks again

Hassan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2010 09:17 Edited at: 26th Feb 2010 09:17
nice man, its nice that you got this number of functions wrapped

Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2010 15:49
Awww man you didn't make it object oriented! Otherwise though it's looking quite good

"everyone forgets a semi-colon sometimes." - Phaelax
Aldur
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2010 16:47
What I forgot to mention is that it is written in OOP.

here is an example:

Keep the comments coming!

marlou
Years of Service
User Offline
Its a bit to early to show it off. There isnt much. XD
Do you know how to load and render other file formats aside x files in direct x like 3ds or others? I've been trying to figure that out.

But its nice to see that you have faster frame rate compared to DarkGDK. Keep up the good work.

When a person has nothing but a dream, can he dare to dream.
entomophobiac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2010 08:57
Quote: "But its nice to see that you have faster frame rate compared to DarkGDK. Keep up the good work."

Actually, the perceived difference between 3,000 and 4,000 is negligible compared to the difference between, say, 20 and 30. There's also no shading in the fluidGDK screenshot.
Aldur
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2010 09:11
I am about to release some more information about fluidGDK so just wait a little while longer!

There is shading, I just had the materials set to a default, I will post new screenshots in my next post.

In my next update you can expect to see:
Keyboard and Mouse input.
Terrain.
Collision.
Basic 2D.

Also I am tidying up my code a bit and when I get about 150-200 functions done, I will be creating libs.

Also Marlou, I am looking into converting .3ds to .x in-game for loading as DirectX doesn't natively support .3ds!

I will post back soon with my progress.

Thanks all.

marlou
Years of Service
User Offline
I think DirectX can support other file formats. I've used other libraries that can load other file formats in directx. In OpenGL, it was simple enough. I'll just search the internet some more on more information about loading and rendering other file formats.

Good luck with your work. Dont try to hack your way fast. Treasure the moment.

When a person has nothing but a dream, can he dare to dream.
kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2010 19:32
Don't bother with 3DS. It will take forever to code and it is very slow to load. If people want to use their 3DS models in a game then they better get a converter.

Aldur
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2010 07:44
Been a while since I posted my progress on here!

I updated the function list but I think I have missed some. I will be taking new screenshots soon but most of my time has been spend converting this over to directx11 so that users that are able to utilise this feature can.

This doesn't mean that other won't be able to use it, I will be creating a command along the lines of Core->SetDirectXVersion as DirectX11 is compatible with 9 and 10 also.

Wish me luck

Cheers

haliop
User Banned
Posted: 17th Mar 2010 21:56
GOOD LUCK!
as we all eventually evolve into directX core programming
kklouzal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2010 03:59
Yes! we will move into DirectX core programming, unless someone like Aldur here creates such an amazing engine that it would be pointless to do so

Add me to your MSN!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 02:36:30
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 02:36:30