Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / [DBPro] Ghost Planetoid from Outer Space

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2010 21:52
Hi,

This was my entry for the Kokoromi collective's Gamma IV contest in January 2010.The most important rule was that the game must be played using just one button

Ghost Planetoid from Outer space is an arcade third person shooter over a 3D world. You can move freely over the planetoid avoiding obstacles and fighting against the ghost alien race... using just one button for moving and firing.

Instructions:
Help Commander Araya to hunt as many Alien Queens and soldiers as he can in 3 minutes, moving throughout the surface of the Ghost Planetoid from Outer Space. Avoid or shoot ghost aliens or you will lose vital energy. See your radar to fast locate the Alien Queen.

You can play with the A button of a Xbox 360 controller (Wireless or USB connection) or with the space key if you don't have a control.

Game resolution is fixed at 1024x768 - fullscreen (as per contest rules).

Screenshots:

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gZF9qkK4l4

Download from Game Jolt:

http://gamejolt.com/freeware/games/shooter/ghost-planetoid-from-outer-space/1805/

More information:

http://www.awkantun.com/ghost/

Thanks to:

- Sparky
- Green Gandalf
- Todd Riggins

Best regards

JF
jfroco
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2010 21:53
... I can't see screenshots.

Kryogenik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2010 21:44
I played it through, and it was kind of odd. The first thing that got me is that told to me to press a. I pressed the a key a million times and tried plugging in a usb controller and pressing random things on that, but nothing. Then I figured out that space was what I was supposed to press. Shouldn't it say press space? I know you put the a button there because it supports xbox 360 controller, but it should say a/space or something. The controls are kind of weird, too. They were pretty good considering you could only use 1 button. My only complaint about the 1 button controls is that the guy rotates a little to slowly. If you made him rotate faster and keep the controls as is, it would be good. Maybe you could have alternate controls, too? I know it was for a 1 button competition, but the option would be pretty cool. All that aside, it was a pretty cool game, and I liked the style, nice job. Just iron over a few of the things I mentioned and you'll be set

Codesurge is so awesome, thanks Hyrichter.
jfroco
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2010 07:16
Hi Kryokenik,

Thank you for testing the game.

Yes, I should've said "press space". One rule of the contest was that everything (menu and gameplay) must be done using the A button of Xbox360 controller (so no keyboard or other controller).

I will try to make a new version without the one button restriction.

Thank you for your feedback.

Best regards

JF
29 games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2010 03:01
I downloaded the game but for some reason windows keeps coming up with an error so I couldn't play it.

Screen shots and Youtube video looked good though.
jfroco
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2010 03:41
Hello 29 games,

Which error? Could you provide a screenshot, please?

Did you install the DirectX libraries?

Best regards

JF
Dr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2010 20:20
I like it! First go I got stuck and died really quick. Second go I killed a queen and run out of time. The control was surprisingly intuitive and good after only a short time learning.

You could make the game a lot better though by having a few more controls, that way you can make the gameplay faster, allowing you to have more enemies and stuff. I just ran around looking for queens. Didn't bother trying to shoot the "drones". Found it hard to find the queens. Even when looking in the area with the right colour as indicated at the bottom of the screen.

Anyway you met the brief well. Presentation was good too. I particularly liked how the "press A" shaked. Unskippable bits at the start were annoying though.

jfroco
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2010 08:07
Hello Dr Tank,

Thank you very much for your feedback.
It's a good idea to release a "full-control" version

I should give the option to skip the start and game over screen soon. I'll try to do that this weekend.

Best regards

JF
29 games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2010 15:06
I got it working, I just needed to restart my computer when I installed the version of direct X the supplied.

I liked it.

Same comments as Dr Tank about the unskippable bits and the controls. I kind of liked the slower pace though. Excellent presentation.
jfroco
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2010 17:58
Hello 29 games,

Great!!! Thank you for your feedback

Best regards

JF
Todd Riggins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2010 02:53
Cool game! It's an interesting one button action game. I would of liked to be able to press A on each of the two first screens before the "exit/play" screen to continue on faster. Besides that, very well done!

ExoDev.Com |XBOX360 CONTROLLER LIBRARY|USE DARK GDK WITH LATEST DIRECTX| C2Q2.66, 8G RAM, GeFORCE 9800 X2, VISTA 64Bit

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 12:08:53
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 12:08:53