Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Bug Reports / Load DVD Animation only checks the first DVD drive in the system

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
DBP will only load the DVD from the first drive it finds in the system. It's not possible to specify a different drive if there is no disc in the first one.

IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2010 00:56
Ok, let's discuss

I agree that the current method of only playing the primary DVD drive in the system isn't flexible, but it is predictable and easy to use.

If it is to be changed/updated then some questions immediately come to mind (not limited to the following):
- How should the command act if there are two DVD drives in the system, and each one has a disk containing video in the drive?
- How about if only one of those disks (or none) has video available - should it search?
- Should it be made the responsibility of the programmer to determine which DVD to play, and if so, how could that ability be provided (both to determine which drive, and to specify which to play)?

Take into account the wind-up time these drives need, which may make any searching, whether automatic or programmer induced, very slow indeed.

Mistrel
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2010 02:39 Edited at: 18th Mar 2010 02:41
Most games that I've seen read from the DVD drive will find the correct drive by the name of the disk. This should already be cached by the system and not require the drive to spin up.

A checklist that enumerates all drives in the system and returns their letter, name, and an index to choose which one would work.

Enumerating anything in DBP is a tricky business. There is no simple fix.

I will surrender to the fact that this is extremely low priority. Unless someone is making a DVD player with DBP, I doubt most users are going to see much use from this command.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 17:16:33
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 17:16:33