Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Showcase / A note about Piracy, and the VBOTB.

Author
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2010 05:26 Edited at: 10th Jun 2010 06:11
It brings me no pleasure to announce that the winner of the VBOTB: 2009 (TheK), will be stripped of his title and badge. It had come to my attention that he had given away a copy, of a purchased copy, of Project Blue (an FPSC Mod) to another member...who then gave it to several more. After doing some investigating, I asked TheK about it; he was very honest with me, and forthcoming.

However, TGC's policy on Piracy is very strict (as it should be); and as such, I have had to take action. The banning of TheK is a little different for me, than bans I have administered in the past. TheK held a high honor here, among fellow developers. As a developer himself, I would have hoped that he understood how wrong it is to give away a commercial project that another developer worked hard on. Apparently that was not the case.

All BOTB and VBOTB holders, are placed at a different level than their fellow developers; it's something they've worked hard on, and as such...they are held at a higher standard.

This should show all members here, that no one is "untouchable". It doesn't matter if you are someone new to the community, or a trusted member. Piracy will not, and can not be accepted.

You may discuss this here, if you wish. But please keep it civil.

-Keith

DarkAngelOblivion TM
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2010 17:18
so what did Thek only get a slap on the wrist?

Tomorrow never comes until it is too late...
Marc Steene
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2010 18:52
Quote: "so what did Thek only get a slap on the wrist?"

No, if you read the post...

Quote: "The banning of TheK..."

Quote: "This should show all members here, that no one is "untouchable". "

I think he received a temporary ban.

[b]FPSC MIGRATION: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=142497&b=21
Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2010 19:18
Temporary but a very long ban, I think. If I remember the talk on the other thread.

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things that I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference.
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2010 03:21
Quote: "so what did Thek only get a slap on the wrist?"

I would hardly call what happened to him a "slap on the wrist".

-Keith
SekoIdiootti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2010 13:04
I know members (not saying any names) who always here act horrified about piracy, but put stuff to torrent sites, etc.
And also, I don't believe the thing about the "untouchableness"... Moderators wouldn't get banned if they'd put some model pack to a torrent site or something, at least I don't believe so...

Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2010 17:59
Well, maby that mod would lose his/her (don't know if any of the mods is a girl) abilities of being a mod or something... I dunno.

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things that I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference.
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2010 18:58
Quote: "Moderators wouldn't get banned if they'd put some model pack to a torrent site or something, at least I don't believe so..."

Mods are held to a higher standard. Please show me a Moderator here that has Pirated a Pack, etc.?

-Keith
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2010 20:00
Quote: "Mods are held to a higher standard. Please show me a Moderator here that has Pirated a Pack, etc.?"

I agree.
BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2010 01:19 Edited at: 5th Apr 2010 01:20
Quote: "And also, I don't believe the thing about the "untouchableness"... Moderators wouldn't get banned if they'd put some model pack to a torrent site or something, at least I don't believe so..."

You're kidding, right? The mods here have established both their credibility and their professionalism in order to have the position they hold. They are held to a much higher standard than anyone here. Don't kid yourself- "if" one of them even attempted to do something stupid like that, they would receive far worse consequences than the average user receives.

Both my wife and I have great faith in the leadership and responsibility the mods carry out daily here.

Cheers

Mike

SekoIdiootti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2010 12:40
Quote: "Mods are held to a higher standard. Please show me a Moderator here that has Pirated a Pack, etc.?"

I was just saying if that happened... I don't believe it will happen, or it has happened, but it could be possible, I think.

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2010 23:52
If a Mod was caught pirating they would be banned, same as any other member. Mods can no more 'flout' the law as members can.

Clear Water
Years of Service
User Offline
Mods won't (excuse me) DON'T get caught

Intel Core 2 Duo T7250/2.0GHz 800MHz 2M L2 Cache/2GB DDR2
667MHz 2 Dimm/256MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT & 250 Gig Hd
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2010 19:39
I think that the whole "let's get the Mods" thing is over now; if you'd like a short vacation, let me know.

-Keith
SekoIdiootti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2010 22:13 Edited at: 23rd Apr 2010 22:13
@Keith: Sorry.

the angry programmer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2010 03:14
humm what a shame, but its good to know you, thegamecreators, take care about your developers and there products, kudos to you!

i WILL make pigs fly!
/ragequit
Red Eye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2010 09:45 Edited at: 4th May 2010 09:46
Could people just stay cool?
The mods are doing great job. Real great job.

One thing is sure tho: They could handle those nonsense threads out there, and delete threads that just doesnt give any information, or are just too noobie. That would make it even more cleaner.

Anyway,

Mods keep up the good work, this forum is definately one of the cleanest around the net.

PW Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2010 22:29
So is his ban permanent, or temporary?

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2010 23:08
Temporary....but a lengthy one.

-Keith
PW Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2010 23:17
Quote: "Temporary....but a lengthy one."

Is it one of those 'Ban till the year 9999'? Or just seriously, a lengthy one

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2010 23:24 Edited at: 2nd Jun 2010 23:25
Nope; it was for a year. Just to note; if he's back from his ban in time, he's welcome to compete again next year.

-Keith
lazerus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2010 00:25 Edited at: 3rd Jun 2010 14:16
Mods are elected by there peers, and other outstanding members. Thats means they show a degree of professionalism in all they do. If they didnt act that way, they wouldnt be mods. Simples

Spell check edit//

gendestroier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2010 22:13
yes, of course, in the United States and England, piracy is a crime to the point of it, but here in Brazil, if any forum ve done this with someone because of software piracy (in a country such as Brazil, the software costs three times) probably the forum was canceled due to moral criticism of many Brazilians, because here we usually give a little more value to the final product than a simple mod that at least should have been freely distributed. (but not, it costs a fortune) This is because the FPSC not be very famous, had work (alright, thanks for your great effort, you only forgot to put it on sale for less than $ 10) is no reason to stick the knife in the other (in Brazil this is slang for very expensive) do not misunderstand me, here is that the price of any product is a constant irritation, more so when inport. so I think it was a bad idea to do this with him, and even simply forget the great work he completed, really, this was not the cool part of you, even if by chance you had any choice, we need to create games, not supervise fake stuff, this is due to the creator of the mod, be more careful before punishing somebody else here, for obvious reasons, I can not support the attitude of you(I understand completely that counterfeiting in the United States and England's moral and legal crime Therefore I am not willing to make counterfeiting of software) I am new to the forum but I hope I never quite come across a more absurd of these (AROUND THE REST OF MY LIFE) while I'm riding on the forum. I hope my message was sent to at least listen

mods for creating a inteligent game,at least
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2010 02:17
Hello,

First of all; the "simple mod" you speak of, isn't. People shouldn't be expected to work hard to create something for free, every time. If you don't want to pay for it; then (just like anything else that costs money) you don't get to have it. Simple as that. I'm pretty sure even in Brazil stealing is illegal.

Your attitude in this matter is quite poor. If you feel so strongly about this matter, there are other Forums you can frequent.

-Keith

PW Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2010 06:29
Also, if you've seen the standard FPSC source code, you'd be surprised they aren't selling it as it is already Taking something that is worth money without permission is completely illegal in most parts of the world...

Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2010 23:51
So if something in brazil costs more than what you would like to pay for it, it's ok to steal it? This is how I understood it by your statement, but please correct me if I'm wrong. But I don't think if you were the one that put all the effort into the mod and spent all your time making it, and you were the owner of the mod, I wouldn't think that you would be saying that it's ok,cause it costs more than 10 dollars.

Heimo Vesa ROCKS!!!!!
gendestroier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2010 01:09 Edited at: 1st Jul 2010 01:36
look... i admire the job of the project blue developers...but i'm a simple guy... it's not just me...and no, i already told you guys that beside my argument about the price of this mod, i DON'T think in piracy like something good, i'm developing a game !!!!
that means i can't be that stupid
he will not ever re-think the price of his mod.(unless i gezz)
i don't think he should.
but remember, THIS IS ONLY FOR YOUR COUNTRY, it's extremely normal for a brazilian to get revolted with this price, but for a men(or woman) on your position that price will be extremely cheap. WE don't have dollar like our official money, we use real, that's the half, that means almost 60 reals, don't worry this is normal here it's hard for someone of my age get that money, i want you to understend, my comments about that are expendable, a useless opinion... just a retarded revolted phrase,i think if you know more about my country you will never pay atention in my comments
you really wouldn't....

''but please correct me if I'm wrong. But I don't think if you were the one that put all the effort into the mod and spent all your time making it, and you were the owner of the mod, I wouldn't think that you would be saying that it's ok,cause it costs more than 10 dollars.''

yeahh!! you're obviously wrong, think for a second, who is my public ?
poor people....
richs will buy crysis 2
the game will be sale for 5 dollars and i'm a LONG TIME working on it, my head is almost blowing up !!!!!!!!
and just for your record, i never saw a cop here in brazil buying a game in the shopping, i see all of them in the camelo !!! buying it for 10 reals !!!!!!! i'm sayng IFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF the project bue has beem maded here, that will sell just camelo copies, it's just an idiot comment !!!!!!!! COMMENT WITH NNOOOOOOOOO VAAAALUUUEEEEEEEEE !!!!!!!! but IF you want to pay atention in the foolishness thinks has i wrote, huhu... dude.... it's your call

Kravenwolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2010 02:05
Just because something is too expensive for someone to afford, doesn't justify stealing or pirating in order to obtain it. There are free mods available to anyone that cannot afford Project Blue. The developer of Project Blue was even so kind to release a free version with those in mind.

It's a spit in the face to any developer/artist here IMO, to have their work pirated by another community member or members. Period. It shows those people have so little respect for the developer and all of his hard work, that they can just steal from them for their own selfish gain, without even so much as a thank you.

It's a very shallow act to pirate anything from the artists on these forums, considering the assets they provide here should be selling for hundreds of dollars more on other software websites. Everyone here is already undercutting themselves for the work they do. There is no excuse to steal from other members here. And I honestly believe, those that do; shouldn't be here.

Perhaps the only way the dishonest minorities lurking in the shadows of these forums will understand the consequences of their selfish actions, is when all of the artists here decide to stop providing assets to the community altogether; when piracy gets too out of control. Luckily for them though, the generous contributors here aren't likely to burn their honest supporters just to get even with the [/insert word that justifies post moderation here/].

/end rant

Kravenwolf

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2010 05:38
Seems pretty simple to me; don't want to pay for it....don't buy it. End of story.

People like you who complain, have no ground to stand on. You want everything for free...or so cheap that it's not worth the effort. Continue complaining and do your best to cause developers to leave the community, or just not bother creating anything for general consumption. They could spend their time and talent in a selfish manner....like making their own game.

-Keith

Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2010 06:24 Edited at: 1st Jul 2010 06:29
@gendestroier

You are gravely misguided in your interpretation of the situation at hand.

You obviously have English skills, a PC and Internet while residing in a "poor" country. To me this means that you are NOT taking advantage of the gifts life has given you.

If you were indeed not "that stupid" you would plainly see the opportunity in front of you and the benefits obtainable from a bit of honest work on your part...

For example, if were you to invest the hundreds of man-hours required to author a mod such as PBUM, you could sell it to users in so-called "rich" countries (personally I regard them as overly inflated) for a reasonable price which when converted back into your local currency would be nicely profitable. You're return would be much greater than someone in the U.S. or U.K selling something for the same price.

Instead of seeing the price of PBUM and whining about "OMG in my country that price could feed me for a week!" you ought to instead be thinking of what YOU can bring to the table that would give you the pride of knowing "I made this thing and each time someone buys it I can eat for a week... OMG!".

I've spend a fair amount of time the last few years living in Thailand. I know very well the "sticker shock" of comparing prices for international goods. I also know that in "poor" countries the basic costs of living are relatively cheap. For less than HALF the monthly rent of a tiny 1 bedroom apartment in Santa Monica, California I could rent a big two bedroom/2-bath townhouse, make car payments and pay electric/Internet/mobile phone service etc in Bangkok.

If you use what fate has given you and turn your efforts from leeching to creating; you could reach customers outside of your local region and start to do well for yourself, your family and your country.

Work to elevate yourself to a higher position rather than trying to drag others down and do not allow self-pity to blind you to the opportunities around you.
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2010 14:29
Some great insights Jake!

-Keith

Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2010 14:44
Quote: "yeahh!! you're obviously wrong, think for a second, who is my public ?
poor people...."

Well, make a mod and sell it that cheap, it's your decision.

And I don't rally understand the rest of your comment... or should i say YOOURRR COMMMEEEEENNTTT! And I agree with Errant up there. You seem to have a computer, FPSC on it, and you might have even bought one or more model packs. How many weeks food that is?

gendestroier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2010 20:22
just a little detail, the computer is from my grandfather, and the fpsc is from my cousin, he gave up...he is allowing me to use his copy, and serials, i'm a adolescent, i don't have any money.
you guys get me wrong, i don't think piracy a good think, i'm developing a game, i hate it, i just wanted to give a popular opinion from my country looks like nobody understood, so it just was a bad idea, sorry... i admire a LOT the job of any developer here, and especialy, the plystire's and (the guy who is the autor of the fenix mod, sorry i remember his name but it's hard to pronunce)... hehe... i didn't thought, that some one probably wouldn't understend, that part of the text, just after i posted.

''They could spend their time and talent in a selfish manner....like making their own game.''

hehe yeahh.. but i beat you and me would like to see a game made by pystire..hehh... that would be THE GAME. see of what this engine is capable of, and like i said(not here) it depends a lot of who is running the show, i really think some day, everybody shoud join and work together, to create the game simbol of the fpsc, of course... i don't think anyone here have time for this just changing the subject... i mean.. this is over right ? you will stop kill me with fear, saying that the best developers from here because of my useless comments would leave the forum? right? I wish someone would change the subject .. hehe Of course the main issue is piracy.

gendestroier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2010 22:06
@KeithC

ahhhh... well, from were soud i start...

1.i have to admit, i...was...wrong, i played today a game made by kravenwolf, and i gezz it was made with the pb, now i know that the fpsc takes a performance explosion with this mod, i search a little bit more, and this mod don't look like something bellow the price of 60 dollars, i mean... with all of those resources...i will see if i can ask that mod like a aniversary present

2.sorry if i caused any discomfort, the only way to explain myself, because I would have almost no idea about a price of digital material. anyway, I could have researched a bit more before saying anything, and still not a very good excuse.

3.i know i requested a end of this matter, but i have to say it...

Norion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2010 02:50
dont worry gendestroier. in your third message you are saying that nobody understood you. but dont worry i do and i think a lot people do. so dont feel sorry well i just wanted to say this.

Goodluck gendestroier

\\\ Norion

MJM
gendestroier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2010 22:13
woo...okay...thanks everyone...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-16 18:36:15
Your offset time is: 2024-04-16 18:36:15