Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Spartan Combat Demo

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2010 22:53 Edited at: 27th Mar 2010 23:56
New Video here - 27/03/2010

Hello all,

I've been working on a new little story driven game over the last couple of days. I won't give away to plot, but the player character is a Spartan warrior and the game will be a side scrolling game with combat..

I've knocked together an demo to get some impressions on the early combat system. The demo features a spartan versus a single persian adversary. Here are some images;

Download the demo here

The controls:
- left and right arrow keys to move
- Ctrl to attack

It only features the ability to move forward and back and attack at the moment. I will add one other attack and the ability to deflect the incoming attacks of the enemy.

The character graphics are those that will appear in the final game, but the ground and the background are placeholder graphics. The characters will feature more animations in the final version.

The graphical style is based on the decoration of ancient Greek pottery, but slightly remixed.

Let me know what you think of it so far. And I'll get down to some improvements.
Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2010 01:02
Sounds interesting, but are you sure this is ready as a WIP post?? Will test for you though when I get home......

(\__/) HHAHAHAHAHAH!
(O.o ) / WORLD DOMINATION!!!!!!!!!!
(> < )
Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2010 12:33
Love the style. Will try it out when I get back from uni.

"everyone forgets a semi-colon sometimes." - Phaelax
Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Ran the demo and looks nice but I found the screen going red every time you attack to be a bit bothersome.
hmm
Years of Service
User Offline
Some new screenshots to show a bit of progress.

Since my first post I have:
Added the ability to deflect incoming attacks.
Added a background that scrolls
Tidied up code into an easily extendable form
Improved enemy AI

More soon!
hmm
Years of Service
User Offline
Have now added a particle system. Its shown off in the screenie below with gratuitous gore.

Its unnervingly satisfying, watching all that red fountaining out of the spartan and his persian enemy.
hmm
Years of Service
User Offline
Uploaded a video to youtube here

As an aside; I've used frapps to record video. Output is great but the filesize is huge, and the quality when uploaded to youtube is awful. Any suggestions??
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2010 02:05 Edited at: 28th Mar 2010 02:06
Wow, vast improvements form the first demo. I like that you can block the enemy and push him back before dishing the bloody pain. Any chance on having different weapons? A spear that you could either normal melee, or throw long to impale would be cool.

I think you could make some pretty cool death effects here. say your character lobs off the enemy's head, so his body sways a bit while the blood just spits out the top in a fountain. I'd say exaggerate as much as you can.

Ah, and being able to run would be nice.

Hassan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2010 21:58 Edited at: 28th Mar 2010 21:58
i like the blood effects

hmm
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the feedback.

For now I'm keeping things as simple as possible to give myself a fighting chance of completing the project. That means limiting the complexity of the combat system, though I may add a 'quick step' move to dodge incoming attacks or leap forward prior to attacking. I think this simple addition will add a lot the the combat.

I've been working on the systems that will allow me to tell a story in the game, as its becoming a kind of an interactive fiction (the excessive blood is a crucial element in the storytelling...it symbolises death...). Got nice text that fades in and out as the player moves and approaches NPCs. Coming along nicely.

I wont be giving the plot away on the forums. I want it to be a surprise.
jfroco
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2010 07:28
Hi hmm,

Excellent!! I realy like the style of the game. I'm looking forward to playing the final version.

Which app did you use to make the animated sprites?

Regarding uploading videos to youtube, I use Fraps as well, but before uploading the file, I use Windows Movie Maker (which I think is included in most Windows versions), add a title screen, add the raps video and publish using the Windows HD 720p profile. I upload that video file to youtube and it is recognized as HD video.

Hope this helps.

Best regards

JF
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2010 09:48
I love a game with a good plot. Can't wait to play the next demo.

the super24
Years of Service
User Offline
This looks pretty good, I'll try it out when I get home

[url=http://steamcard.com/]
hmm
Years of Service
User Offline
Just so you know, the demo is a bit dated now. Many improvements have been made since.

Here's a screenie of something new...

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2010 23:03
I like the depth your starting to put in. Looks good. Need some sky elements now.

hmm
Years of Service
User Offline
@jfroco: forgot to say, I'm not using sprites. Its all 3D (but 2D...). Just because I've always worked in 3D, and wouldnt know how to produce similarly smooth animation with sprites. And thanks for the advice re youtube. Downloading WMM now.

Layering objects with transparency without getting the wierd outlines you sometimes get has been a hassle.
jfroco
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2010 16:07
Hi hmm,

Thank you. Your 3D objects look really great with the 2D camera.
I asked because I haven't found an efficient way of animating sprites

Best regards

JF
Plotinus
Years of Service
User Offline
This looks really great. Similar in some ways to Bushido Shuffle but in a very different style. I like the backgrounds very much.

My main criticism so far is simply that the two fighters seem to me to get too close to each other at times.
Dr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2010 01:53
This looks way better in the new screeny. The middle distance objects make it look much more "alive" and epic or something. Before it did look kind of just like a 2d thing, now it looks both like a pottery, and an epic battle, like you intended.

If you can get that grass moving that would be awesome. Also background setpiece animations, like, say, a crow landing on a thing, a deer running by, other soldiers fighting, trebuchets shooting on-fire cattle etc would be super awesome, but obviously that's quite a bit of work.

hmm
Years of Service
User Offline
The grass already moves. It looks great.

Have toyed with other things in the background and it is a possibility, so long as I can sort out the transparency. Have had many problems getting the existing graphics to behave properly without ugly outlines and other visual artefacts that come with transparency, alpha mapping and playing with zwrite.

Right now though, the focus is on doing the core of the game then adding visual touches at the end.
Jaeg
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2010 18:12
I really like your graphics. It reminds me of shadow puppets and I love shadow puppets.

Good work!

If you get mad and want to type something nasty about another person do this-Type what you want to say in the box then press ctrl-a and hit delete then type what you should say.
hmm
Years of Service
User Offline
I've been away in China for a month, and those 8 hour bus journeys have given me plenty of time to think about the future of this game... unfortunately I'm still not sure.

BUT, I will be working on it in the next couple of days so should have some updates and maybe even a kind-of-final demo...stay tuned.
RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2010 00:15
This game looks really different. It would make a great iPhone game!

Send me some details, maybe we can help you get it produced?

Rick

Financial Director
TGC Team
Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
When Rick V replies you know it is good. And I agree, it does have a different feel, and I think it is awesome. Great work "hmm".

hmm
Years of Service
User Offline
Cheers for the positive...ness guys! Just the motivation I need to get back to work on it.

@ Rick: I'll see if I can get a demo of sorts together in the next couple of days and send it to you with some details. Thanks for the interest!
prasoc
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow this looks really rather cool! Never would have guessed it is actually 3d

hmm
Years of Service
User Offline
Okay, so I've finished (maybe), and posted the game up here.

New title is 'The war is over,'.

Enjoy!
Ram256
Years of Service
User Offline
Very nice game.

It has a great look.

That's the way it is.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 18:10:12
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 18:10:12