Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Particle Trails

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm trying to leave behind a trail as a planet orbits a sun. I want to observe the pattern of the planet after a large number of orbits, so I can tell if something is throwing it off and so forth. I also just like seeing the pretty patterns...

I'm trying to do this using the particle system, and I have a particle trail being left behind my planet now. The problem is, each particle "point" along the trail is sitting there emitting little particles or something. If I zoom in on them, I see each piece of my trial is actually composed of 5 or 6 little particles spreading out from a point. Is there any way to reduce this to a single particle per cycle? Like a "dot" every cycle? I have the particle size cranked up so the trail is nice and bold, and I don't need a billion extra particles swarming around in it doing nothing useful to me.

Also, after a few orbits, the trail stops appearing. I assume there's some kind of hard limit on how many particles can be simulated at once. Can this limit be extended or removed? I know it will tank my frames per second after a few hundred thousand particles... but that's ok. I can come back later and look at the pattern.

currently these are my particle settings:

(the code to update the PositionParticleEmissions is elsewhere, but basically has the emitter follow around my planet. It works fine, I just want to know if there's a way to change the settings for the Particle object to go on forever.

I'd also settle for an easier way to draw the trail, if you know one. Is there a way to draw solid circles or dots in 3d space that always turn to face the camera?
Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2010 10:51
Quote: "The problem is, each particle "point" along the trail is sitting there emitting little particles or something."

Yeah well, I'm afraid that's the minimum that you are going to get, as you already set:

dbSetParticleEmissions(1,1);

And lower than that would be '0'.

Quote: "Also, after a few orbits, the trail stops appearing. I assume there's some kind of hard limit on how many particles can be simulated at once."

Never reached that limit, but rather got frames per second < 1 before that... Maybe the limit is the amount of emmiters (different IDs in 'dbMakeParticles').

Quote: "Is there a way to draw solid circles or dots in 3d space that always turn to face the camera?"

Yes, just make a plain, texture it with that 'solid circle' texture and use 'dbPointObject' to have it facing the camera.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-02 03:24:22
Your offset time is: 2024-10-02 03:24:22