Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Soup by Cowbox

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2010 02:33 Edited at: 23rd Apr 2010 00:37

Hai everyone who likes me and doesn't. Don't worry this project's nearly finished so I can't possibly shelve or cancel this project.
The guys in Soharix still want to carry on with Mamo one day though.

Anyway, on with Soup; Soup is a short puzzle game I thought up, designed and created all on my own. Everything in the game, bar the textures and the intro, was created by me alone.

I said right from the start that I wouldn't accept any help from the guys in Soharix on Soup so I could actually finish a game and prove my worth to everyone who knows me xD.

The basic structure of the game and it's puzzles are like that of the Myst series (By Cyan Worlds and Ubisoft) but offers 3D environments like that of Myst Uru.

I used the puzzle idea to keep the game interesting and give it some depth but the overall feel is to be fairly light hearted and at the end of the day, just a game. - So you'd better enjoy it

The basic gameplay is exactly the same as Mamo and most games these days with WASD controlling and mouse movement to look around.

Currently the game is in v0.99 to allow for beta testing before I release it, so please help.

To give people an idea of how little effort it takes to make something like this:
* I started Soup on 13/03/2010 (d/m/y)
* The code is 2207 lines long.
* It was all coded in Dark BASIC Pro.
* I am using Sparky's collision DLL and Evolved's Parallax mapping and refraction shaders.
* I'm using urlmon.dll to retrieve the MOTD.
* All the maps were made in Deled LITE and CE.
* All the models were made in Deled LITE and the character was animated in Milkshape3D.

Here are some screenshots to prove I'm not lying about actually having a relatively complete project:

Soup v1.1 is available now:
Download link:
Soup - 25/03/10 - <Outdated>
Soup - 29/03/10 - <Outdated>
Soup v0.99 - 02/04/10 - <Outdated>
Soup v1.00 - 05/04/10 - <Outdated>
Soup v1.1 - 22/04/10 - .zip - .rar

Credits:
Me - Everything in the actual game (except for texturing which is a general mishmash of textures from the Soharix texture library, all of which were made by either myself, blobby 101 and Joeeigel xD)
blobby 101 - The Soharix intro
Oh but thanks to Neuro Fuzzy for his help with opening doors from only 1 side, Serial Velocity for his help with colouring shaders and Diggsey for help with lighting the player's shader properly.

Extra info:
* Ingame don't press ` because this is the console command prompt key, if you want to see the triangle count and your FPS, press this button, type graph then press enter.
* I keep having to put "by someone" at the end of my WIP names as all my projects have names under 6 letters long

Urist McCoder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2010 02:45
From the images and the description, the game looks great! Unfortunately, the links don't seem to work... That might be just me, but the website the links lead to says that the page I'm looking for doesn't exist.
C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2010 02:50 Edited at: 25th Mar 2010 03:04
Yeh I had some problems with the links to start with but that's fixed now, however I just updated the game version to take out a silly bug.

So hold on for 10 minutes then it should be working fine.

EDIT:
Done, all the links should be working properly now.
Dr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2010 03:13
That's pretty cool! I did most of the problems by trial and error. Escept raising the bridge. I worked that one out. Couldn't get past the room with the spinning generator. There were numbers and symbols, and i tried pressing them, but it was too far to go back and keep trying different orders and combinations.

Also, when i fell off, i got taken to the start, and the moving platform was on the other side. I fell off and got teleported to it.

With you always centring the mouse, I couldn't get out of the prog (when still running) to look for a readme or check this thread for clues. Not that there is any, but it's nice to be able to use the windows key and do something else when something's running.

Cool ambience, models and stuff. Nice that you can pick the colour of your guy.

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2010 13:12
@ Dr Tank
Yeh the problems aren't exactly mind bogglingly difficult but they keep you occupied - rather than bored like most puzzle games xD.

The planetoid with the generators and the monorail track is as far as I've got and the puzzle isn't finished in there so, it's no wonder nothing did anything.

The moving platform that is on the other side, when you fall off and go back to the beginning, is one of the issues I want to address before the game is finished, but it works for testing in the meantime.

I will make the mouse centring an option in the final release (as well as a windowed/fullscreen option)

Heh, the picking the colour of the guy is just so it feels a little different every time you play. - And also because if I'd chosen 1 set colour of the guy some people wouldn't like it

Thanks for playing though
Dr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2010 19:16
That explains it. I'm glad I didn't spend any longer trying that puzzle or i'd be quite annoyed.

Mouse centring is good when the game's running, because you don't want the mouse to "fall off" the screen. But you want to be able to move the mouse when you switch to another program. Detect which window has focus, and only centre the mouse when it's the window with the game.

Fullscreen windowed mode will fix everything though.

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2010 19:50
Quote: "Detect which window has focus"

I didn't even know this was possible. - You got any code for that; I'll put it in straight away.
Dr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2010 21:06
Check this out.

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=108028&b=1

I don't use it like the OP said - to keep that window on top. What i do is first

That finds which is the active window. IIRC, it's actually always zero when it's not the game window, so putting it in a loop means if the window isn't in focus when the code is executed, it waits. I guess if there are any other nonzero "windows" then it could mess up. (doesn't happen on my comp, but maybe will on others') Alternatively i guess you could do it after a keypress is detected, meaning the window is active. If the result of the call is always zero if it's not the game window then you don't need the number anyway. (see later)

Anyway that's what's in my game, and it works. In the main game loop i have something like this:

and you could change this to

or something. Like i said you might not need to find what the game window number is (variable "hwnd"), so could suffice with

Sorry for rambling. Hope this is useful.

Link102
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2010 21:54
puzzle 1: The player can open the door to the hints room, so he assumes he must open the second. Maybe change the door to some iron bars or put on a "no-entry" sign or skip the lift and just open the door upon completion of the puzzle.
It wasn't really apparent what I had to do (I'm trying to avoid spoiling here)

puzzle 2: good puzzle, but could easily be solved by touching all buttons 3 times.

puzzle 3: this one had me, I didn't realize the hints were still on the 2nd planet. Ended up taking a peek in the texture folder.
I couldn't see the planetoid with the 3 hanging thingies half of the time. You should lower it.
Add a sound to when the door opens.

other things you should change is the character's animation. You can't see if he's facing left or right or walking backwards or forwards.
Finally the monorail thingy, but I think you know that one already

Great game, great atmosphere.

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2010 22:30 Edited at: 28th Mar 2010 00:08
@ Link102
Yeh I'll be adding sounds for various things, including the doors that can't be opened

The puzzles aren't really meant to be tasks so there is an element of work-out-what-you're-supposed-to-do-ness even once you've got the clue.

I don't see how you managed to solve the 2nd puzzle touching all the buttons 3 times. That's logically not possible as I made the other buttons not part of the combination reset the value for the puzzle so you've got to start over.

As for peeking into the texture folder, I may add the media to the .exe and I'll see about lowering the planetoid, someone else who tested it couldn't see it either.

I may change the character, I may not as it isn't a vital part of the game, it's just a generic player

EDIT:
General progress today:
* I've modelled the monorail tram.
* Added the puzzle mechanism for the monorail planetoid.
* Added sounds for the locked doors and a sound for the rotating door.
* Added door handles to show what way doors open.
Screenshots:

Also, I realised the Soup menu music is similar to "I just can't wait to be king" from Disney's Lion King.
Kryogenik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2010 21:41
I've noticed a pattern in the logos of your games Anyway, looks pretty good, nice job. Might download it later.

Codesurge is so awesome, thanks Hyrichter.
C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2010 22:30 Edited at: 26th Mar 2010 23:41

What pattern's that then?
xD

Screenshot of working monorail:

Also got it to recognise if it's not the current active window anymore, thanks to Dr Tank
Dr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2010 02:56
Glad to hear you figured out the windows thing.

Also cool that you've put sound in.

baconboy2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2010 12:39
Looking great as usual C0wbox! Played the game until my graphics card crashed (you know why!)
I'm not particularly good at puzzle games, so I found some of them a bit challenging!

Great work

My Portfolio Website - http://boomerang-studios.webs.com/
C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2010 14:18 Edited at: 27th Mar 2010 14:20
!

Yeh, some people seem to find the puzzles incredibley easy and others found them incredibley difficult but all in all, everyone seems to love the game so I think it's balanced well in terms of difficulty.

Be warned, in Soup's sequel, I'll be putting a bit more work into planning puzzles rather than making them up on the spot.
(Afterall, the only design work I did for Soup was drawing all over 2 sides of A4 paper and writing Soup at the top xD)
thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2010 17:29 Edited at: 27th Mar 2010 17:30
i cant figure it out
(not even the first puzzle)

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2010 17:54 Edited at: 27th Mar 2010 19:18
Quote: "some people seem to find the puzzles incredibley easy and others found them incredibley difficult"

See what I mean^ xD

No hard feelings thenerd but I'm not giving anything away here, as that would be 1/5 of the game gone xD.

Update:
I'm currently in the process of replacing the music - I don't want to face a legal issue with Elton John on my first decent release. (I concluded that the music just sounded too similar to "I just can't wait to be king" for my liking and too similar to be legally acceptable either, so... better safe than sorry. )
Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
I done understand how are you guys playing this when I don't see any ways of attaining it?
C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2010 21:22
@ Ashingda 27
Quote: "I don't see any ways of attaining it?"

You having difficulties finding clues or the download link?
Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Download Link, is it on this page?
thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2010 23:27
I posted too soon, playing it again I figured out everything up to the monorail. I love how you made the clues on pieces of paper, I think my problem was that at first I didn't notice the paper. maybe having a green light shining down on all the clues...

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2010 00:06
@ Ashingda 27
Yeh there are 2 download buttons on the first post on this page. (Just undernieth the screenshots)

@ thenerd
Hah, that would make it faaaaar too easy.
ShaunRW
DBPro Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2010 15:06
This was quite entertaining. I also like how you put the clues on the paper.

Can't wait to see more.

thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2010 15:54
lol, I'm an idiot. I wondered why I couldn't figure out the monorail puzzle...it wasn't even there!

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2010 16:57
@ ShaunRW

@ thenerd
Heh, lots of people have done that - I should have made a big sign that said "This is the end guys "
Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2010 22:33
Just played it, and I thought the puzzles were perfect

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2010 23:43
@ Diggsey
!

I'm liking these positive responses.

Updates for today:

Made the last planetoid's interior, now just adding the last puzzle then re-recording a new melody for the menu music tomorrow.
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2010 07:34
Nice myst like atmosphere!

I quite enjoyed, though it was about 10 minutes for me. Is there a story of any sort? Doesn't need to be. Also, I agree you should at least be able to tell which way the character is facing.

I would recommend completely getting rid of the ability to jump off any planetoid. I don't see a reason for it, or any reason why you need to jump. I recommend putting invisible walls at these points, and if later you can walk in a direction that could previously had you stuck, remove the invisible wall.

If though falling off only to return to where you started is a key story element, something along the lines of Spire in myst 4 where this is the entire universe... then maybe. I still think falling off is unnecessary.

oh, and I LOVE the music. Did you make it? Find it on the web? "Borrow" it from myst?

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2010 16:12 Edited at: 29th Mar 2010 19:52
@ Bizar Guy
! There is a story but I haven't put too much into revealing it yet, that'll come once I've finished the game content and be further revealed in the much larger sequel (still to come).

I'll see what I can do about telling which way the character is facing, but remember he's made of crystal and crystals don't have eyes

I'll see what I can do about an invisible wall. - The fact you can fall into the soup and return above yourself is a part of the storyline but isn't imperative for Soup's gameplay.

I made the music but I am just about to rerecord it with a new melody for fear of a possible copyright infringement. - The music sounds like "I just can't wait to be king" from Lion King

EDIT:
Ok after remaking the music and making the game "sound" less cool but avoiding potential legal issues I decided to re-upload an up to date version so everyone can get used to the music rather than moaning when I release Soup. I've also changed some of the sounds and added some extra details here and there as well as making the monorail puzzle. - This latest version doesn't include the final puzzle, a game wall to stop you falling off, nor an ending/story or a proper menu; these will only be included in the final release of Soup (or at least a 0.99 version if I feel it needs some testing first)

Screenshots of extra details:

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2010 02:36
I love Myst! Downloading now and not reading the rest of the thread to avoid spoilers :p.

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2010 02:40
@ BMacZero
Good plan although I think everyone's being quite good about hiding spoilers at the moment.

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2010 02:59 Edited at: 30th Mar 2010 03:01
Got past the monorail, was a quite enjoyable 20 minutes . I'm inspired to do a Myst clone now .

Always a fan!

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2010 03:09 Edited at: 30th Mar 2010 03:10
@ BMacZero
! GLaD to hear it was 20 minutes well spent. Heh, a number of people have been talking about doing similar games now - have I just accidentally uncovered a lost genre?

Quote: "Always a fan!"
!!! (Woo, I have fans xD)

The crazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2010 07:49
I like it.
the super24
Years of Service
User Offline
This game looks interesting

[url=http://steamcard.com/]
C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2010 16:26
Woo thanks guys

Finally I am on holiday for 2 weeks so I can actually get Soup done instead of worrying about computing and physics coursework

All I have left to do is:
* Decide how much of the story I'm giving away (or if I'll do what Myst did and just plonk you in a game with no real objective)
* Add an ending
* Add a gamewall because I agree it is kinda unnecessary for the time being to make use of the universal Soup transition.

Then it's onto Souquel (Soup's sequel)

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2010 21:08 Edited at: 2nd Apr 2010 23:26
Woo!

Finally, I have released Soup v0.99 for beta testing before I release it onto the PA board. Please tell me if you find any bugs etc.

Everything should be done and is now how I want it.

(Sorry for those who wanted a way to see which way the character is facing, I really don't see the need and besides, the character is made of crystal - and crystal's done have eyes xD)

Happy times! Thanks to everyone who helped out along the way, have fun.

Dr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2010 02:35
Nice! I completed it. Actually figured out the puzzles. Except I kind of got lucky on the 4 doors thing near the end. Quite hard to see which doors were moving when.

Anyway this is a cool thing. Adding sounds is a great improvement - you can tell when you have opened a door, raised a bridge or whatever. THe "easter egg" near the end was cool too.

In the sequel I'd like to see hot babes instead of crystal guys, but of course that's entirely up to you.

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2010 03:48
@ Dr Tank
xD Yeh the 4 doors puzzle was kind of a long shot. - It needs to be seen from above or the side, but oh well, the puzzle's aren't exactly meant to be unsolvable.

Heh, I can't say what Soupuel will include but I can assure you it will still be crystalline entities in hyper-planar universes with rips connecting them. xD

The crazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2010 04:59
Excellent game man.
C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2010 00:21
Woo, Soup is now released and has had a graphical update.

Check out the shiny new awesomeness on the screenshots in the first post.

Thanx again everyone for testing.

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2010 02:14
Did it (I think ). TBH though I solved the last puzzle when I was pressing buttons randomly to see which ones moved which doors .

Also, trying to replay the game gives "Camera Already Exists at line 457".

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2010 03:06
Gah, yeah I know why that is.

I fixed all the clearing up and clearing down of the app when restarting it after finishing, but after doing that, added the second camera for the refraction shading.

I already know I need to make v1.1 anyway xD

Dr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2010 03:54
Some kind of shader or something on gem-o-man? Pretty sweet. Looks a bit like a gummi bear.

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2010 04:38
Yeh I added coloured refraction mapping to the Geom you play as just to give the graphics that final edge and so people realise he is actually made of a weird chemical, not a poor excuse for a person.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 16:32:44
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 16:32:44