Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / World Editors

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey all, I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with editors used for making levels to import into a dark GDK game. I have experience with unrealEd (I don't think exporting to BSP from that is very easy) and also Valves Hammer. Im curious what experiences you guys have had, and if the Dark's world editor is any good?
Cetobasilius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2010 21:05
3d world studio is nice... its similar to unrealed but far much easier, and not so complex, which means its pretty basic... it has lightmapping which adds a nice look to your levels, and exports to dbo which is dark gdks native 3d file...

hi
Poof Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Are you trying to make a level in an editor such as Unreal and then bring it into Dark GDK? If so I know unreal can export there BSP's out as OBJ's. It's very easy to do if you want to know how.
Grenadiac111
Years of Service
User Offline
i agree with cetobasilius 3d world studio is very easy to use and not to mention its wide range of imports and exports.
Lich120
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey guys thanks for the feedback. I found out they offered a demo of 3d world studio and was pretty impressed. I do like how they set it up nearly identical (including shortcuts) to valve's hammer editor. It makes using it very easy and familiar. Actually, I think in some ways 3d WS was more powerful than Hammer (the terrain editor is a very nice addition).

@Poof Master
Yeah exporting from UnrealEd 3 to bring into Dark GDK is the idea. I wasn't sure if going from OBJ to DBO was a very easy conversion. If you do it this way are all the light maps exported? I was a little worried about the results since the UnrealEd3 requires the use of their proprietary material system rather than just textures. Because of this I had the feeling what I made in Unreal and exported would probably not look like it did in the editor. If you have any experience with this Id love to know your take.

Thanks again.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-02 03:43:51
Your offset time is: 2024-10-02 03:43:51