Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Sparkys Collision and DirectX models

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
There seems to be quite a few posts about problems with collision and directX models. I am having a problem with them as well. I am using the Delgine creator by Deled to create my .X model and they are importing into DarkGDK just fine. However I am having a problem ray casting a collision with with them. Below is the code I wrote to create the level terrain.

You will notice that there are four object created. The first is the terrain created form a bitmap image. The second is a .X file called tower. The third and fourth are two boxes, walls so to speak. I can get Sparkys raycast collision to find the ground, and the two boxes. When my Character collides with them it stops like it should. However I cannot seem to get any collision data with the tower. Anyone have any ideas?
Trullion
Years of Service
User Offline
Having done some more experimentation, I found that for whatever reason, the problem was do to the fact that I scaled the tower down in size.

Here is the edited code:

Notice that I moved the dbScaleObject to after the dbSetupObject, and then used the SC_AllowObjectScaling followed by SC_UpdateObject.

I am under the impression that using SC_AllowObjectScaling is somewhat slower. Is there a better way to do this?
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2010 11:42
You could try my plug-in, in sig, I need people to test it.
Once set up it takes alot less coding for collision, unless you want to code collision of course.

Trullion
Years of Service
User Offline
I will be taking a look at it. I already downloaded it to my machine. Does it replace Sparkys? Or is it in addition to?
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2010 23:25
You should not really need sparkys with this, if you do, tell me what for, and I'll add it to Fulcrum.

Trullion
Years of Service
User Offline
I just needed to know about Sparkys because I used it to code my own collision system. I will have to recode it to work with yours I think. No biggie.Ill let you know what I think in a few days.
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2010 00:10
Yeh, maybe don't abandon sparky's if you have already coded alot of your game with it.
Perhaps setup a small test program to see whether Fulcrum will do everything you need and if it makes life any easier, if it doesn't, let me know what was missing/wrong.

Sorry I can't help with Sparky's problem, I have done very little with it. I can't see why SC_allowObjectScaling() would make it slower, do you actually see a slowdown when you use this command?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-02 03:23:53
Your offset time is: 2024-10-02 03:23:53