Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2010 17:12
Hi,

I'm currently working on my game almost full time at the moment. Its still in quite early stages, though its already fun to play. Though I'm using a few extras to DBPro (the most prominent is DarkPhysics), I have no AI for the enemies. This isn't a problem yet as there are no enemies yet My question is, how good is DarkAI? I plan on having alot of automated remote sentry style weapons as well as some vehicles. Now after a bit of reading about DarkAI I can sort of see how I'd make my vehicle engine work using DarkAI. Just wondering the following:

How easy is it to get it to work?
Is the AI any good?
How efficient (resource-wise)?
entomophobiac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2010 10:36
Quote: "How easy is it to get it to work?"

Very. It's built in such a way that it has tons of defaults prepared in advance, so that it's more or less plug and play if you don't want to go through the details.

Quote: "Is the AI any good?"

Value statement. You'll have to define what a "good" AI does as opposed to a "bad" AI. It's much like any software -- DarkAI does what you tells it to. Any "bad" AI in such an equation can only be blamed on the user.

Quote: "How efficient (resource-wise)?"

I think it's fairly efficient. Compared to shaders and other calculation-heavy operations, it's extremely efficient. Then again, they have their own hardware.

It all comes down to how you write your code.
NickH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2010 14:24 Edited at: 6th Apr 2010 14:25
Cool, it sounds quite flexable then. Just wondering if it was like DarkPhysics. I'm using DarkPhysics and I've found a million and one problems, but I've basically found what it does well and only used those parts of it. Just a little suspicous that DarkAI was the same thats all

Thanks entomophobiac
entomophobiac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2010 14:45
Haha. Well, in that regard it IS the same. It's TGC software, after all. You'll have to find its small eccentricities and learn to cope with them.
NickH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2010 16:16
Hehe ok, I'll bare that in mind. I suppose it's easier than writing the AI from scratch, especially seen as I've only ever done very simple AI.

I'm guessing they're not still developing it too?
GreenDixy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2010 19:07 Edited at: 7th Apr 2010 22:30
@NickH if you like email me i will send you some code for darkai or you can add me to msn

======================================
NickH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2010 01:48 Edited at: 8th Apr 2010 01:52
Thanks unixfr3ak. I've emailed you. It'd be nice to see some code I'm not needing any AI just yet, but my game is making quick...ish progress. I think I'll start a WIP thread actually I've never done that before!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 11:16:11
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 11:16:11