Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Dark GDK maximum Potential ?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm new to this Dark GDK engine
can anyone describe me in simple words what is maximum potential and strength of Dark GDK
i mean i wanna seriously create a FULL SCREEN HIGH GRAPHICAL COMMERCIAL GAME
Is this engine is enough ?
Or any example of popular PC game upto which i can achieve results
using Dark GDK
Hassan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2010 17:38 Edited at: 6th Apr 2010 17:41
it is enough i believe, since you can use native directX functions with it, but you shouldn't go like "HEY GUIS, IM MAKIN' TEH NEW GENERATIONS OF WORLD OF WARCRAFT AND GTA IV!!", these games are made by companies, with hundreds of employees, and it also take a year or two to create one by them, so you alone, can make some nice games, with some good graphics if you're a good 3d modeler, and it depends on your C++ experience, better code = better game, but since nobody made such a game in GDK, it's harder than it seems.

ammar26
Years of Service
User Offline
No , im not alone
we are TEAM of 14 C++ well experienced Programmers (undergraduate students) and we have also proper professionals for Graphics
entomophobiac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2010 17:49
More like three years or four, these days. Seven, I think, in the case of World of Warcraft. But that's not really important. I agree with your points 100%.
Hassan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2010 19:32
14 C++ well experienced? why dont you use directX then, also, you need good modelers and some sound professionals if you will make a "commercial" game, some story writers and such

ammar26
Years of Service
User Offline
Bcz now a days Engines are meant for this purposes. Each and almost every International Company have designed engines for themselves. And bcz Dark GDK is open source so we will be using DirectX API along with Assembly Language Interfacing in it to gain the requirements
Just i wanted to ask the maximum potential of the Dark GDK
it was a simple question that i asked
ammar26
Years of Service
User Offline
i'm only looking forward to Dark GDK bcz its open source and i can modify its libraries easily according to my needs
Red Eye
Years of Service
User Offline
If u need any Modeling stuff, i do freelance. U can look in profile, and u can look at portfolio, tho portfolio is VERY outdated. AND BUNCH of new stuff are not added. [Currently making new portfolio.]

So i do freelance work, so if u need a freelancer, me here for u.

Me = Cheap.

XD

---END SELF ADVERTISING

Anyway ontopic: well with enough people it is very possible to do.
Not just expirienced alot of people, but experienced alot of people in different areas.

Mireben
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "i'm only looking forward to Dark GDK bcz its open source "

Where did you read this? As far as I can follow the newsletters, Dark Basic Pro and FPS Creator are open-source (fully or partially, I don't really know), but not Dark GDK.

Quote: "I'm new to this Dark GDK engine"

Quote: "now a days Engines are meant for this purposes"

Just to be clear, Dark GDK is not an engine. It is a collection of functions that wrap DirectX functionality, to make it easier to use. That means you don't need to worry about native DirectX calls, like getting a device context, for example, but (as with any high-level wrapper functionality) it is an additional layer between you and the system. It has a defined set of functions which, to some extent, limit what you can do. This may or may not be enough for your purpose.
Wilvis
Years of Service
User Offline
Dark GDK is aswell, i downloaded it from the svn. Haven't had a chance to complie it yet. You should have a look no more waiting for nugs to be fixed now that we can fix them.
ammar26
Years of Service
User Offline
Dark GDK can't be modified ?
I mean if i use DirectX API side by side with Dark GDK it won't work ?
If Dark GDK calls the DirectX functions from its API then a programmer should be able to call DirectX API too ...
Clear me please about this
ammar26
Years of Service
User Offline
I discovered it on

[href=http://www.devmaster.net ]http://www.devmaster.net [/href]
http://www.devmaster.net/engines/engine_details.php?id=247

in the category of Engines named as "Dark Game SDK"
So i thought its an open source engine because YES is written also in front of Source Code option
so please can anyone clear me about this
pirogoth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2010 08:18
It was news to me as well, but apparently it is in fact open under the Apache 2.0 license. You can find it here: http://code.google.com/p/darkbasicpro/

-Piro
Mireben
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow. Thanks for the info, I didn't know that Dark GDK is also included in that source code package.
ammar26
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for all kind of support
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2010 16:46
I don't believe you have 14 well experienced C++ programmers, if you did then GDK wouldn't remain on the table for longer than 1ns considering the other alternatives out there(such as OGRE).

ammar26
Years of Service
User Offline
we are just asking , we didn't finalized anything yet
ammar26
Years of Service
User Offline
@ dark coder :: is really OGRE is better ?
bcz i only found that OGRE is a basically graphical rendering engine, its not basically for games
if u really knw some alternatives plz help me out
Serial Velocity
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "its not basically for games"

I'm sure OGRE was designed for games.

Pilz X Schizo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2010 20:00
I would have to say that any graphical rendering engine is more than likely going to be used for games. Never used OGRE befor, but if its a graphical rendering engine then it can definatly be used for games.

If you have 14 experienced C++ programmers it would probably be more in your interests to just make your own engine using DirectX. With 14 programmers you should be able to write a decent DirectX engine in a month minimum. Not only will you be acsessing DirectX directly which will make things alot faster, but you can design the engine for exactly what you need.
ammar26
Years of Service
User Offline
@ Pilz X Schizo:: thanks brother ...
we are also thinking the same thing
haliop
User Banned
Posted: 7th Apr 2010 22:49
you should actually check Ogre
its pretty damn powerfull and open sourced.
uses both openGL and DirectX
if i remmber correctly
the ogre community is checking the DirectX 11 functionality
but again its open - source so you can do it yourself.

altough i found DarkGDK much more eaiser to handle but im not exprianced in C++ , still in the learning age.
entomophobiac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2010 15:41
I'd personally recommend you to keep a close eye on http://www.nuclearglory.com/

From what I've seen, it does everything the GDK should do. And more.
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2010 15:47
Check this out:
UDK

Your programs(scripts) would normaly use unreal-script which is more like Java, but you can use C++.
The only concern I would have is that you may have too many programmers and not enough artists.

I would say that DarkGDK may not be able to handle what you want to do as it has been designed to be easy to use, not fast. Although there are a few plug-ins available which will speed things up a bit for you.

haliop
User Banned
Posted: 9th Apr 2010 07:44
wow... UDK is impressive
i might check in to that
haliop
User Banned
Posted: 9th Apr 2010 07:53
what im ost intersted in the Unreal Tech , is the ability
to use textures as materials , therefor having each face of a box with other materials attached to it, that is pretty impressive computing, the little i know about shaders is that , i can do that or that on the entire box but not on each face .. that is quality.
MadBit
VIP Member
Gold Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2010 20:23
I think for single Programmers are GDK the best, but for a Team Development you can check this ...

Irrlicht
The Nebula Device

With Computers you can solve Problems that you have never befor.

My English is so BAD ;(

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-02 03:28:55
Your offset time is: 2024-10-02 03:28:55