Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2010 18:16 Edited at: 6th Apr 2010 18:18
Right now, all i've got to program with is Pro. Can some one test this to make sure it runs in Classic? You'll need a joystick.

Please, i know the code is jumbled
Use D-pad to move cursor(Check out the camera; its Cool!),
Second button to select and move.

And the media..........
The music was so i wouldnt get bored while programing.....
Idk why but i also included an ExE......

(\__/) HHAHAHAHAHAH!
(O.o ) / WORLD DOMINATION!!!!!!!!!!
(> < )

Attachments

Login to view attachments
LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2010 18:51 Edited at: 1st May 2010 18:02
It gives runtime error at line 293 (which is the end of the main loop, so it's not the right line) - image does not exist.

EDIT:

When I remmed out this section of code, it kept running:

I don't know what all I am supposed to see. I saw the cursor and a character scrambling toward the center of the screen, but there were no background tiles.
Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2010 18:58
oh. You were running inside DBC right?(most likely,right?) oh well. I might just go ahead and right this one in DBP, because it seems to only want to work in it! Thanks for the help tho.....Did you try the exe, LBFN?

(\__/) HHAHAHAHAHAH!
(> < )
Robert The Robot
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2010 18:59 Edited at: 6th Apr 2010 19:00
Could be "Untitled.png" that's in error then.

DBC often makes a habit of not registering an error until it reaches the next Sync command - especially if its tied in with graphics or objects.

Haven't got my joystick connected up at the moment, what's the code for? Is it a 2D tile map level?

[Edit] Drat! I always take too long to type...

"I wish I was a spaceman, the fastest guy alive. I'd fly you round the universe, in Fireball XL5..."
Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2010 19:00
Quote: "I don't know what all I am supposed to see. I saw the cursor and a character scrambling toward the center of the screen, but there were no background tiles."

The section you remed out was the tile drawing section.

(\__/) HHAHAHAHAHAH!
(> < )
Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2010 19:04
Quote: "Could be "Untitled.png" that's in error then."

Its got transparency, might that have someting to do with it?

Quote: "
Haven't got my joystick connected up at the moment, what's the code for? Is it a 2D tile map level?"

Actually, i was coding a little demo of an Rts, for my cousin who just got DBPRO, to show him what it can do. then, it started looking cooler and cooler, and then I thought about DBC

(\__/) HHAHAHAHAHAH!
(> < )
Robert The Robot
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2010 19:06
Ah, sounds like fun.

DBC doesn't like transparency, but it accepts it - it just puts it to a block color fill of something like RGB(128,128,128). Possibly the PNG file format isn't recognised, I think there are multiple types...

"I wish I was a spaceman, the fastest guy alive. I'd fly you round the universe, in Fireball XL5..."
Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2010 19:10
hmm....let me take off transparency, then i'll reupload it.

There.

(\__/) HHAHAHAHAHAH!
(> < )

Attachments

Login to view attachments
LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2010 19:35 Edited at: 1st May 2010 18:02
If I run the .exe it works. If I run the code you posted, it errors.
Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2010 01:41 Edited at: 7th Apr 2010 01:42
Weird............I dont get it.....could it be the transparency, or............what? Well, i've got 2 more days up here so i guess i'll look into it when i get home. Strange tho, i've used images with transparecy in DBC before.........maybe its somthing else.

(\__/) HHAHAHAHAHAH!
(> < )
Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
@DD
It has something to do with your map array I think. DBPro and DBC may not save the array with the same values. In the code where you loop through the images to tile on layers:

The values returned from Map(x,y,layer), are above 5000 and I don't think you have any image assigned to those numbers.

Enjoy your day.
Caleb1994
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2010 07:26 Edited at: 7th Apr 2010 07:28

Why are you going through all the layers? I know this doesn't have anything to do with your question, but i have to ask. You only paste if the layer = currentLayer. So why not just go through the tiles on currentLayer? like this:

I would suggest adding a 'image exist' call in there lol

New Site! Check it out \/
Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2010 20:47
Quote: "It has something to do with your map array I think. DBPro and DBC may not save the array with the same values. In the code where you loop through the images to tile on layers:"

That popped into my head a couple of hours ago......

@Caleb1994
Yea, ur right, i'm calling it when layer = currentlayer, so that needs to be optimized. must have been the "other me" programming.

(\__/) HHAHAHAHAHAH!
(> < )
Caleb1994
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2010 07:04 Edited at: 8th Apr 2010 07:07

Ha I hate those days... A few days later... You look back and think 'What idiot did this!?' or 'There's my memory leak!'(not as applicable to dbc though as all your memory is managed)

latch mentioned putting it in a function. Just a suggestion, but you could put it in a function like 'DrawMap(offsetx, offsety, layer)' although i don't know how you handle your offsets, but you get the picture.

EDIT:

Oh btw that quote was in no way intended to call you a idiot just realized, it might be taken the wrong way. lol

New Site! Check it out \/
Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2010 18:01
Quote: "Ha I hate those days... A few days later... You look back and think 'What idiot did this!?' or 'There's my memory leak!'(not as applicable to dbc though as all your memory is managed)"

Lol, Yeah,Totally.....

Oh btw that quote was in no way intended to call you a idiot just realized, it might be taken the wrong way. lol"

Lol, I know.

latch mentioned putting it in a function. Just a suggestion, but you could put it in a function like 'DrawMap(offsetx, offsety, layer)' although i don't know how you handle your offsets, but you get the picture."

Might take that into consideration.......Thanks!

(\__/) HHAHAHAHAHAH!
(> < )
dark basic code
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2010 17:24
i have DB classic on my computer disinged for windows 98. the edetor runs fine but when i exicuite even when the compilation is sucessful i get this error message; "system error:surfaces couldnt be created .D3D devices do not support backbuffer bit dephth and HW acceleration." how do fix this or is thes mean i cant play the games i made.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-16 16:34:56
Your offset time is: 2024-04-16 16:34:56