Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Unreal Development Kit or UDK

Author
User Banned
Posted: 9th Apr 2010 08:27
check it out , it gives you all the power of Unreal 3 Tech
you have the editors and everything just start building games
and it has a commercial lisence that you can actually afford.

here it is:

http://www.udk.com

the download is about 500 mb.
Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2010 16:32
Everyone who takes game dev seriously already knows about this. TGC isn't usually happy about other products being advertised on their site.

"everyone forgets a semi-colon sometimes." - Phaelax
haliop
User Banned
Posted: 9th Apr 2010 19:06
well , its a competitve world.
the idea behind it:

see what other people do
like if i post an awesome game here , and that is just for example:

you must check the Rigid Bodies over there , or damn check that 3D Gui , you can learn , learn the menus learn what you need and then code it in dark Gdk ,
it can give alot of unexprianced programmer "how does it look?",
and in the end ,
dont forget that the better programmers stay on a Coding platform rather then Interface and Scripting.

with that said , im sorry if i have offended anyone by posting it.
i dont care if you delete it.
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2010 19:29
I have looked into it and will continue to do a tutorial here and there, I dont believe TGC have anything to worry about as far as UDK is concerned, they are too different to even be competing imo.

DBPro is a basic language/api and that is its appeal to most users, UDK is oop and programmed mainly with scripts.
That said, for any artists out there the UDK toolset is pretty comprehensive.

haliop
User Banned
Posted: 16th Apr 2010 08:28
review on UDK:

paintshop for game creators.

you get a clean rapid working tool that gives you in the end
a game with decent FPS ,physiX ,gui ,animations ,camera animations , fluid surfaces and possibly fluid simulations.

the best idea of it , is that it gives you a rapid workflow or rapid portotyping.

the only thing i can see which draw me back from it , is the lack of Coding expriance. but it also gives me something good to think about:

udk , gives anyone to build games or 3d presentations with high detail while still guarding that 60 fps for smooth gameplay or animation, it has a very good Light system it support Network up to 64 players and lan support.

if i have an idea for a game engine editor, UDK is a perfect place to see what you need in your Editor.
and , its pretty simple to use.
Poof Master
Years of Service
User Offline
I have been going to school learning this engine and the tutorials for the unrealscript are just starting to really get going in the community.
haliop
User Banned
Posted: 17th Apr 2010 10:14
yeah and its getting pretty damn large...
UDK is the actuall basic game developer dream.
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2010 10:53 Edited at: 17th Apr 2010 10:53
As a Programming-Centric Game Developer, Media Creation is the greatest challenge no matter the development platform. Until someone comes up with a way to create unique professional looking Art, Animations, Music rapidly with little or no skill, ill keep developing Game Engines.

Quote: "
Until someone comes up with a way to create unique professional looking Art, Animations, Music rapidly with little or no skill"

Hmmm, that gives me an idea...

haliop
User Banned
Posted: 17th Apr 2010 11:04
whats the idea?
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2010 11:35 Edited at: 17th Apr 2010 11:46
whats the idea?

Its not really an all inspiring idea to be honest. In fact, I had the idea for a couple of years. Its an Editor similar to the Spore Creature Creature.

Quote: ""Spore Creature Creator" allows gamers to mix-and-match up to 228 drag-and-drop flexible body parts; shape them, and then add a splash of color to create a singularly unique customized creature."

However, The Super 3D Game Entity Creator exports various Creations (characters, weapons, vehicles/crafts, machines, plants, buildings) for use in any 3D game. S3GE's MECS & CHIMP are a step towards developing such an Editor.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-02 03:24:21
Your offset time is: 2024-10-02 03:24:21