Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Discussion / Model Trouble

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2010 04:49
I'm having a bit of trouble finding a model creator that's compatible with Darkbasic :S. I tried AC3D, 3D canvas pro and TrueSpace but I can't load the models in Darkbasic. Can anybody lead me to a good model creator that's compatible with Darkbasic?
pictionaryjr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2010 05:20 Edited at: 12th Apr 2010 05:21
i believe most of those can, you just have to export the model as a .3ds or .x file format

EDit:

I use blender btw.

ShinyDarkrai
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2010 05:47
Well, 3D canvas pro can't even save it as a .x file. AC3D can but it gave me an error when I tried to load it. Truespace I was able to load a model, but it was a premade model and when I made my own and saved it as .x it gave me an error, I'll try blender though.
NickH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2010 12:53 Edited at: 12th Apr 2010 12:54
Make sure the file isn't saved as a binary but as a txt version of an x file. DB can't load the binary version.
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2010 13:03 Edited at: 12th Apr 2010 13:04
Quote: "DB can't load the binary version"

I've never had any problems loading non-ASCII versions of .x files, so my guess is that the problem is elsewhere.

I use Truespace and have no problems loading .X files created with it.

"but I can't load the models in Darkbasic" is a little vague as you give us absolutely no clue as to exactly what is going wrong.

Do you see the model but it's black? Do you not see the model at all? Does it give you an error message?

Please give us enough information to let us try to help you!

Also, show us the part of your program which loads the model.

TDK

NickH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2010 16:49 Edited at: 12th Apr 2010 16:51
Quote: "I've never had any problems loading non-ASCII versions of .x files, so my guess is that the problem is elsewhere."

Really? I've never got a binary x file to work, and I saw someone else say DB can't load them, so I assumed it was true. Hmm maybe its just that some software generates unreadable x files then.
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2010 19:55
I use AC3D all the time, it works fine What error do you get when loading?

TheComet

ShinyDarkrai
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2010 22:27
Ok with AC3D I tried clicking all files when I clicked save as, then I saved it as a .x if I remember correctly. That didn't load, instead it gave me an error and shut down the program. I didn't try exporting it, that might work. What should I export the file as in AC3D? I don't see a .x format.
Regarding loading objects with TrueSpace, I got some models that I created to load (finally) but it would only show one part of the model (like when I made a human model, it only showed the foot or the head). I'll try saving it as a text file and I'll see if that loads the entire object.
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2010 23:17 Edited at: 12th Apr 2010 23:19
Quote: "it only showed the foot or the head"

Ahhhh... so it does actually load them!

Could it be the camera position? My guess is that the camera and/or model is not positioned/rotated correctly and the end result is that the camera is actually inside part of the model. (This can also happen if the model is bigger than you think it is).

As object inner surfaces are culled (not drawn), they appear invisible. The bit you do see is a part of the object you are viewing from outside, so a head or foot on it's own is entirely possible.

Quote: "I'll try saving it as a text file and I'll see if that loads the entire object."

Saving as a text file shouldn't make the slightest bit of difference.

I think what you need to do is use AutoCam Off, manually position the camera and then manually point it at the object.

The object by default appears at 0,0,0 so if you don't position it anywhere else, that's where you point the camera. You can then experiment with the camera to object distance until you get the model fully in view.

You should also set the object's axis of rotation at the centre in Truespace before saving it.

TDK

ShinyDarkrai
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2010 23:40
OK, I'll try that, but not positive about the camera theory because I also viewed it with the model viewer tool and it only showed part of the model. I'll try repositioning the camera though and I'll also play around with some of the options on TrueSpace and AC3D.
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2010 15:25
Quote: "they appear invisible"

Nice oxymoron

It does sound like a camera problem or you might somehow only be exporting the head of the object.

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2010 18:06
Quote: "instead it gave me an error and shut down the program."

Sooo... What error is this again? Is it a runtime warning? Object does not exist? Is it a failed to load object at line 3? What error do you get?

TheComet

chafari
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2010 18:41
@ShinyDarkrai
Could you show us one of your objects ?. Can you compres your model and send it to forum? .That would help to check what hapens.

cheers.

I'm not a grumpy grandpa
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2010 19:52
or you might somehow only be exporting the head of the object

That's a point. Truespace has a saving option 'export as single mesh'. You could try that.

TDK

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Sounds like you are exporting the selected sub-object rather than the entire model. I personally can't get to grips with truespace, but I thought there was good compatibility with it and DB. Possibly it is only DB Pro. When I used to use Dark Basic, I saved my models as .3ds and converted to .x using the little convert utility that came with it. Always worked like a charm for me.

http://s6.bitefight.org/c.php?uid=103081
Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
Also, regarding truespace, isn't there an option to export hierarchical animation? This is the animation that will work in DBC if you set up your model correctly (not rigged with a skeleton I believe).

Enjoy your day.
ShinyDarkrai
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2010 06:33
Ty for all the advice every1, I'll try loading models with various programs as soon as I get the time :S been a bit busy lately.
ShinyDarkrai
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2010 07:01
Ahh, ty everyone for your help . Finally got around to finding my favorite model editor and getting it to work. I decided on Ac3D and I got the models to fully load finally .

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 17:28:50
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 17:28:50