Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Scale Earth

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
This is a exact scale model of Earth, The Moon, and The Moons orbit.

oh my god, he killed Kenney!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2010 19:24
The README says:
Quote: "
YOU NEED TO HAVE THE FOLDER ON YOUR DESKTOP FOR THIS PROGRAM TO FUNCTION.

NOTE:
YOU CAN PUT THE EXE IN OTHER LOCATIONS ON YOUR COMPUTER
"

Why? You have to specifically tell the program to look there for this to be necessary. What possible reason can there be for this?

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2010 00:47 Edited at: 13th Apr 2010 00:48
Yeh I'm not willing to test this guys 2 random PAs as he just posts 1 liners and no screenshots. He's blatantly either a complete noob or trying to spy on us realllllly badly...

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2010 10:46
Spidey sense is still working then...

Syncaidius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2010 23:55 Edited at: 13th Apr 2010 23:56
I took the plunge and decided to try it. Turns out its a normal DBP program after all. Its a nice tech demo of the moon orbiting Earth at warp speed.

EDIT:
I missed the moon in that screenshot.

Attachments

DarkBasic Developers
Years of Service
User Offline
The reason why you have to put the folder on the desktop is because that is were the image files are.

oh my god, he killed Kenney!

Attachments

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2010 10:10
Quote: "The reason why you have to put the folder on the desktop is because that is were the image files are"

A normal DBP game will not look directly at the desktop unless you tell it specifically that's where the images are. It's much easier to simply put the images either in the folder where the executable is or in a sub folder.

My 'Spidey-sense' was tingling because I couldn't see a good reason to add in a bunch of code to find the desktop when you don't have to.

I don't want to put people off a perfectly normal game and nor should you. Why not just use a relative path like everyone else?

Syncaidius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2010 13:31 Edited at: 14th Apr 2010 13:33
I don't think the OP was right that it needed to be on the desktop. I unpacked it into my downloads folder and ran it from there, ran fine.

EDIT:
Saying that, I didn't use the shortcut that was included, I just unhid mysterious 15mb of files that were missing and ran the EXE instead. I have no idea why you would want to hide the most important part of your game though, unless of course, my spidy senses are broken...

RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2010 17:35
Chances are he's just copied the direct filepath of all of his media on his computer into the media loading code instead of changing it to just refer to whatever folder the .exe is in. Simple mistake, I remember doing the same when I started out.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 09:03:06
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 09:03:06