Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Dark GDK application not running (works via debug)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello.

As the topic says, I have compiled a Dark GDK program that runs with no issues through debug now, but when I open the .exe in the debug file, it just sits with a black screen. Here's the source:

Am I just missing something in the code, or is it just some weird issue with Windows 7?
Cetobasilius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2010 06:42 Edited at: 13th Apr 2010 06:44
hmmm did you do it???..

Quote: "//Note: If the program gives a black screen at first, try maximizing the window and it should work.
"

is the media in the same folder as the exe?

hi
Cuddle Bunniezzz 12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2010 00:12
Your media needs to be in the same folder of your .exe

How Visual studio works is weird when your compiling a program.

Ex, lets say have your solution is located here:

VS2008/Projects/My DarkGDK Games/My DarkGDK Games.sln

And your project is located here (along with source files):

VS2008/Projects/My DarkGDK Games/Lunar Lander/Lunar Lander.vcproj

When VS2008 compiles a project, in debug mode or release mode, it puts them in one of two folders (respectively):

VS2008/Projects/My DarkGDK Games/Debug/

VS2008/Projects/My DarkGDK Games/Release/

Well, when debuging a program, for some reason, VS2008 decided to chose the folder where your .vcprof file is for the main media folder. So from that folder, you would need to reference all your needed media having that as the starting point. So if you want to run your program outside of VS2008, (from "Debug" or "Release" folders), you need to place your media files in there. Get what I'm saying.

If you don't, just create a folder called "Game Media" where your .sln file is held, then put your game's media in there, and when loading it up in your game, reference it like this:

"../Game Media/ship.png"

It should work fine then.

http://www.darkgdk.us/ <- You can now submit pages, upload images, yet were lacking content. We need your help!
ramthor
Years of Service
User Offline
Yep, that was the issue (sorry I haven't responded sooner, forgot to check back ), thanks :nod:

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-02 03:24:13
Your offset time is: 2024-10-02 03:24:13