Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Skip A Beat - Music based game...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2010 18:46 Edited at: 16th Apr 2010 18:47

So, I am infact working hard on Bushido Shuffle, but I was going through my HD and realised I had alot of half finishe stuff that was still quite playable.

Skip A beat uses your music to generate levels.

It's a simple little game where everything reacts to the music.
Check it out, let me know what you think. I don't know if I'll ever finish it, but if there's interest, I'll release the source so others can have a play.

I want robotic legs.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Hassan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2010 21:05 Edited at: 16th Apr 2010 21:05
any demo? it sounds cool! ( i wonder how my death metal music level will look like )

oh didnt notice it downloading

Hassan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2010 21:21 Edited at: 16th Apr 2010 21:49
doesnt work:
1- it doesnt show all music, e.g. 2 out of 3, 4 out of 5 etc
2- it shows either "runtime error 7002 - object number illegal at line 884" or "blabla has stopped working"

EDIT:
once again, didnt notice you had to choose the level, tho you gotta improve starting screen

THAT WAS EXTREMELY FUN TO PLAY so crazy!

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2010 05:34
Excellent!!! ust had a go and was having a blast flying through the musical ether.... getting bombarded by ginormous pink structures spinning out of control since a lot of my music is crazy like that.

I really like the concept here. I think this could be something greater! I know you're not working on this anymore, but perhaps someone would be willing to expand upon it and refine some parts of it more if you had the source up for playing around with.

The one and only,

thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2010 15:29
Nice concept, I agree with Plystire, it needs a bit more work, but playable.
Except when I used the caramelldansen as my song...

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Hassan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2010 16:37 Edited at: 17th Apr 2010 16:38
so you guys tried it with metal music? its crazy, really hard ( got over 5k score with some rap and hip hop songs, but with metal, i just lose score xD )

Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2010 21:56
Thanks for trying it out.

sorry that it's a little ropey. It's kind of at that point where the gameplay is almost there, but there's that massive leap from that, to having menus, high scores etc.

I might finish it one day..

Interesting comments about the music choice. I'm not that big into Rock, so I tested it with alot of electro, (aphex twin, venetian snares etc). It's probably a little sensitive for rock. I was considering have it read the average level of the track all the way through and then base the levels on that, right now loud tracks will just kill you!

I'll post up the source, but should warn you that it's pretty messy (one of those ones that got programmed under various influences, and so isn't very organised).

It's using the FMOD .dll which can read the EQ spectrum of an MP3, and even if the code is shoddy, the functions for reading and loading from FMOD are pretty good.

If you are interested in working on tracks that use music, check out MUSYNC, which a buddy of mine, Ollie Edgington made. Its a wrapper for FMOD that means you can call the FMOD functions much more easily from DB (It has some trouble returning some of the floats and Dwords on it's own).

Cheers for the downloads and for checking it out. Much appreciated!

Plystire. I'm using it some other projects to do more subtle stuff, rather than having everything based in the music, I'm working on reading from a line in channel now. Want to make a game where you have to shout and whisper to control your character. It's a bit of a >:-( though because the way FMOD reads the line in is a nightmare.

Hassan, thanks for checking it out, sorry you had trouble with my crappy 10 minute menu! 5k is pretty good. you can kinda cheat by holding down LMB, it makes everything fall faster...

I want robotic legs.
Hassan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2010 22:18
yea tried that cheat, got 27k without it tho =), ill be really happy with the source, even tho it's a pain translating it to C++ ( plus, as you said it's messy ), but i will surely find it of some use!

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2010 13:04
I tried it by renaming a .wma file to a .mp3 file, and it worked LOL

Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2010 19:49
Oh nice.

Are wma files mp3's anyway..? Actually I should probably just admit total ignorance to the music file types...

I want robotic legs.
Chordata
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2010 11:08
Quote: "I'm not that big into Rock, so I tested it with alot of electro, (aphex twin, venetian snares etc). It's probably a little sensitive for rock."

I tried it with a bit of Squarepusher and Autechre, and it was mental, nice work!

Just curious, how are the structures made while you play? Are they premade meshes that scale and rotate, or is each one made of several different meshes?

Very addictive though!
Paul

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 18:28:14
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 18:28:14