Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Wizz Balls

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2010 09:53 Edited at: 20th Apr 2010 12:24
Something I've been working on playing around with Dark Physics. Want to create 2 more levels and another bonus level unlocked once all other levels are completed. Just get the ball to the end of the level to win in the time limit as indicated with the bar.

Not sure why I called it Wizz Balls, but man that was a great game.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~rooster021/Ball.rar

edit fixed d/l link

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Dr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2010 12:19 Edited at: 20th Apr 2010 12:28
Game looks good. Nice aesthetic, although a bit dark. Cool music.

I'm guessing your game physics are not decoupled from the framerate, you're relying on set sync rate to determine the game speed, and you're using timer() to do the level time countdown. I have a fairly slow computer, and by the time the ball stops bouncing on level 1, about 3/4 of the time has gone. In the rest of the time i can get it about an inch up the screen. Seems way slower than i imagine you would have designed it.

Also i got a "Ball.exe has experienced a problem and needs to close" upon exiting the game, but that's no big deal really.

Nice to have another Amiga veteran on the board. I never played wizball though. Perhaps i should find an emulated version.

Simwad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2010 12:17
Thanks for trying it out. I've tried adding timer based movement (new d/l in original link), would be interested to know if this works on other peoples machines. As for the error on exit I'm trying to track this down, not sure where it came from.

Ahh yes the Amiga, just threw out all my old AMOS stuff the other day cleaning to move house. Someone should remake Projectyle http://www.lemonamiga.com/?mainurl=http%3A//www.lemonamiga.com/games/details.php%3Fid%3D2245
Dr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2010 17:55 Edited at: 21st Apr 2010 18:01
Better. Now i can get to the big square hole by the time the time runs out.

I imagine what you have done is multiply the distance moved per frame by the time elapsed, but have not done the same with the acceleration.

FRAPS tells me the game runs at 150fps on my machine, which is loads! So slowdown shouldn't really be a problem. Are your physics engine iterations really really short? What framerate do you get on your machine?

Never played Projectyle either! Top of my Amiga remakes to do is Gravity Force 2. That was awesome. Zeewolf was a great game too. And Walker. Seek and Destory. Alien Breed. Jetstrike. Happy days.

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2010 01:24
I really like the dark foggy feeling this game generates as well as the physics (even when you fall off the map). However, I think it was a bit hard. The ball moved very slowly, slowed down very slowly, and in level 1 I only had enough time to get past those first two turns before time ran out. Maybe increasing acceleration and friction would fix this? In any case, the game looked really nice and the levels looked well-designed (especially when I peeked at level 3-- wow did that look hard), but it was difficult for me to actually play due to the time limit and the slow gradual movement of the ball.

<-- Spell based team dueling game!
Simwad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2010 10:50
This is what I don't get with the Physics, I understand timer based with non physics applications yet when I apply them to a Physics object I can never get it quite right. I'm applying the force using the PHY ADD RIGID BODY FORCE 20, .0016*t, 0, 0, 2 command, where t is the time for an update.

I've uploaded the source file and all media required in the original post link if anyone wants to have a look. Obviously to compile you require Dark Physics. The .exe is still in there though, you just need to extract all files and directories somewhere. I'm sure it will be something simple I've missed.

Mr Tank - I have an fps of 2500. This timing using physics is frustrating. Do you think just using the SYNC RATE command would get it closer to the same playability on any machine? BTW Zeewolf

Sixty Squares - Thanks for trying. I'm looking at the ball speed at the moment.
Cetobasilius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2010 00:51
downloaded, it runs, but when i try to start a level it crashes and an nvidia driver download page apears

hi
Simwad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2010 08:17
I've compiled with the latest Nvidia drivers. I think you need a certain type of card to use Dark Physics based applications. Do they even work on ATI cards, I will look into it.

Thanks for trying it.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 12:05:52
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 12:05:52