Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Discussion / Creating a Virtual School and would like some help

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm making a scaled interior map of my school for a project and I wanted to know where I would start in the coding. What would be the parameters for making walls, floor, ceiling, etc? Any help will be greatly appreciated

What is shadow, but a reflection of light?

Twilight stands for Dawn and Dusk. Where do you stand?
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
For any kind of precision, I would really suggest modeling it in an external editor (blender, or 3ds max if you have access or something similar). Then load it in.

Great Quote:
"Time...LINE??? Time isn't made out of lines...it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round!" -Caboose
Sinani201
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2010 06:23
Is this in 2D or 3D?
Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2010 01:05 Edited at: 28th Apr 2010 01:11
[EDIT] Accidental double post

Enjoy your day.
Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
@Haru
Welcome to the forums.

A few things to think about:

1. Scale
Decide on a scale - the size everything is relative to everything else. If in the real world, the dimensions of a room are say 10 meters by 10 meters, then in the virtual world, perhaps 1 3d unit = 1 meter. This should work reasonably well for a building, because you likely won't get into sizes in the thousands. So it can be a pretty direct correlation.

2. Map it out
Take a sheet of paper and draw out everything as you want it to be designed. This will save you a lot of headaches later on.

3. Find a good 3D modeling program that you can work with
There are many free 3d Modeling programs out there if you don't have the money, or don't have the inclination, to purchase one.

One of the easiest to get quick room/level design, in my opinion, is Deled 3d. It also has the ability to export to Direct X (which DarkBASIC uses) or 3ds (which DarkBASIC Classic also uses). It also comes with a whole bunch of premade objects such as windows, stairs, chairs, pillars, etc. so you can get to building fairly quickly.

Quote: "and I wanted to know where I would start in the coding. "

Once you get your model made, you can load it into DBC with the LOAD OBJECT command.

The coding from there depends on what your goals are once you have your model loaded into DarkBASIC.

Something to keep in mind:
1. If you want to be able to "walk" on the inside of the model, the normals have to be reversed. There are usually controls in the 3d modeling program that allow you to do this. You can tell when an object has had it's normals reversed when the model looks inside out.

Here is an example of a cube with regular normals. I've placed a red sphere inside which you won't be able to see:

And here is one with the normals reversed. You can now see past the outside walls inside of the cube - and you'll be able to see the red sphere:

Notice how you can now see inside of the cube.

Enjoy your day.
Sinani201
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2010 04:34
It's not very hard to do in a 3D modeler. If you understand how to use software like Anim8or or Blender, all you have to do is lay down some edges, fill them, and extrude them upwards.
Haru
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you guys so much for your help and info.

Sorry to mention some details before, I'm still fairly new to this.

@Sinani201: It's a 3D model.

@Latch: Thank you so much. That helps me a lot.

Haru
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2010 18:33 Edited at: 29th Apr 2010 04:32
Sorry. double post.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 06:11:47
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 06:11:47