Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Help with DarkBASIC - Hope this is the right forum!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi, i'm totally new to games programming and am having trouble finding the best modelling tools to use with DB.

I was thinking of using Lightwave as 3D Studio Max is kinda out of my price range at the moment, any suggestions?

Also, what exactly are sprites? if they are, like the DB help files imply, 2D animated characters and objects, then can you tell me how to make them?

Also, can anyone suggest a good tool for making textures, specifically texturing models - or can you use lightwave (when i get it) to texture and animate models?

Finally, if DB is a variation of BASIC, would reading a book on Basic help me to become a better programmer in DB? I haven't found the help files very useful so far=S

Thats all for now!lol Thanks..i have lots of ideas just no knowledge of DB to actually make them!=S

Any help at all about RPG programming would be much appreciated, please mail me at mclaughlan_daniel@hotmail.com
Mirthin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2002 19:02
Lightwave will work fine if you can export to 3DS file format (that's if you're working in DBPro)

Sprites are animated 2D images. You could use Adobe's Imageready, or perhaps Jasc's Animation Shop.

Lightwave will animate but I'm not sure about texturing. As for a texture creator, I'd suggest Adobe Photoshop, Jasc Paintshop Pro, or wally. The last one's free.

Not really. DarkBASIC is a basic language coded in C/C++ and most of the commands are not present in other BASIC languages.

This has "Fiasco" written all over it.
ChipOne
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2002 19:34
"Not really. DarkBASIC is a basic language coded in C/C++ and most of the commands are not present in other BASIC languages."

well...that's partially correct:
- DarkBASIC commands are implemented through the use of C++, and the compiler uses assembly. this is true (at least partially, or inverted) of many BASICs
- MOST commands from MOST BASIC languages exist elsewhere. the specific case in point (ie. DarkBASIC) is a wrapper for DirectX...therefore, you'll find many of the commands from a 'standard' BASIC exist in DBPro, but the graphics commands (and memory handling, etc.) commands will not be present in other BASICs

as for being new to programming and not knowing which 3D modelling package to use...well...the two are unrelated even the biggest and best games out there in the market use dummy objects while they are being programmed. you'll not find one program out there that is using the original art.

here's a suggestion for you: drop the modelling altogether. if you want to learn to program, you'll be challenged enough. no point in complicating things with trying to model. furthermore, you won't have enough time in the next two years to learn both and be very good at either. sorry...it's just how it goes.

best off to find a buddy who's interested in modelling and then you can team up. it'll be a better (and less frustrating) experience for both of you.

-= i only do what my rice krispies tell me to do =-
Garfield1983
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks guys=)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 15:17:22
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 15:17:22