Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Discussion / best way to make a sky

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I've seen multiple ways in which people have underwent making skies.
The put a textured plain in the sky, or they put a sphere, or the put a box, but none of these seem to work for me. With the sphere, it has those weird seems in the sky at the top. with the box, the textures don't line up right and with the plain unless you have walls or something blocking your view, you can see the backdrop. So i'd like to know in what ways you all create skies

Link102
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2010 12:27
make sure you turn off the lighting and texture wrapping for the skyobject.

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2010 13:08
I use spheres. I make the object in AC3D, so I can map the texture so there are no seems.

TheComet

TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2010 19:34
Probably the best results are with skyboxes, but they only work if the six images you use for each side of the box were created specially for the purpose.

If they weren't, you'll probably have perspective problems in each corner and the image edges won't match up exactly.

Google 'skyboxes' to find some free ones.

TDK

pictionaryjr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2010 04:45 Edited at: 14th May 2010 05:46
@TDK
Haha I tried the skyboxes, but couldn't get them to work the way I wanted. I want my sky moving so I finally decided to give in and do what comet suggested and made my own sphere. I was just trying to avoid that mostly because of the amount of work. I'll post a video of it in a second =)

EDIT:
And to whoever suggested it. I don't like using other peoples media at all. any media i use, i like to be my own, so i have to give no credit.

Here's the video, its not great, but it looks cool.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yc20p4LDFRs

TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2010 23:48
Quote: "I tried the skyboxes, but couldn't get them to work the way I wanted

any media i use, i like to be my own"

There's the problem then!

The images on the six sides of a skybox are specially designed so they distort in the corners. Without the distortion, perspective goes to work and they don't look right - it just looks like images on the faces of a cube - which it actually is!

With the distortion done correctly, you can't see the shape of the cube and all you do is rotate it.

I can't remember what programs you use to create the images, but they do exist. You render the scene with the camera pointing in the six directions you need. Might have been Bryce or Terragen, something like that - I'm not sure...

Here's an example using free skybox images downloaded off the net:

(Media Attached Below)

TDK

Attachments

Login to view attachments
owlman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2010 11:35
thanks - this has answered a bunch of questions I had.

@pictionaryjr - nice sky .. )

if effort>reward : gosub home : endif

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 15:27:43
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 15:27:43