Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Discussion / 3d animation help needed

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I cannot understand all the code to make a said model play even its walking animation, any help would be appreciated.

basically, i need to know how to load in a object and get it to play its walk animation, once i can get this im sure i can figure out the other stuff, its just getting over the hump.
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2010 12:57
The command you are looking for is:

play object <object number>,<start frame>,<end frame>

and loading would be:

load object <file name>,<object number>

TheComet

Robert The Robot
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2010 16:10
If you want the object to keep walking forever, you could use this instead:

Loop Object
<ObjectNumber>,<start frame>,<end frame>

"I wish I was a spaceman, the fastest guy alive. I'd fly you round the universe, in Fireball XL5..."
bgranger
Years of Service
User Offline
ok, i downloaded the model pack 18 from the game creators store, but when i try and load in an object, it dosent play any animations no matter what frames i choose or even if i set it to loop all frames...
how exactly do i load in the objects and get them to play? and once i figure that out, how do i figure out which frames are the ones for the animation i need because when you open it with directx viewer, it loops all the animations so i assume that certain frames are the mele, walk, ect...
Robert The Robot
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2010 12:05
Quote: "ok, i downloaded the model pack 18 from the game creators store"

Oh dear... You can't use thes models with DBC - it can't play the animation at all, and you'd need to switch to DBPro to get them working. The objects in Dark Matter Pack 1 will work fine in DBC, and you can get them for free if you download DarkGDK (there might be other sources as well).

Here's the reason why - there are two types of animation available. DBC, as an older programming language, uses limb-based animation - a model of a human would have separate 3D "objects" (or limbs) for the upper arm ,lower arm, the hands, etc. While all these limbs are part of a single over riding Object, they are free to rotate and move relataive to each other, so movement can be produced.

DBPro (and most modern games) use bone-based animation - the entire object is a single 3D mesh, controlled by invisible, internal bones. This 3D mesh is like a human skin, capable of changing shape to whatever position the bones force it into.

Concerning model pack 18, it was designed for use with FPSC, and so all objects will follow the same basic layout (e.g. frames 1 to 5 for walking, 6 to 10 for running, etc.) I'm just making up numbers here, you really need to ask on the FPSC boards.

"I wish I was a spaceman, the fastest guy alive. I'd fly you round the universe, in Fireball XL5..."
bgranger
Years of Service
User Offline
ok, now concerning dark basic pro, i tried to download it and could never get it to fully work, any sugestions?
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2010 22:58
Quote: "i tried to download it and could never get it to fully work, any sugestions?"

That depends on what you tell us happens. The phrase 'never get it to fully work' tells us nothing.

Supply as much info as you can - including what OS you are using.

If it's XP then you should be fine. If it's Vista or Windows 7 then you should read the stickies on the DBPro boards and post on there if you are still having problems.

TDK

bgranger
Years of Service
User Offline
well i'm not really trying to use dark basic pro for anything, ill learn it this summer if i get some time and post in those forums if i cant figure any thing out. i just posted it here on a side note since it came up. but i got the dark matter pack 1 and the models are working perfectly fine. thank you all.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 18:09:24
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 18:09:24