Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

2D All the way! / pixel art practice

Author
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2010 23:52 Edited at: 18th May 2010 23:54
Picked up a book yesterday on various photoshop techniques. One of the chapters cover pixel art, so I gave it a try as I had never done isometric pictures before.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" ~ Arthur C. Clarke
GIDustin
Years of Service
User Offline
What book? I have been looking for some good pixel art books, and photoshop is my editor of choice.

Judging by your image, the book must have been pretty good!

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2010 10:45
Nice! - you should add lots of DB game characters and give it to Steve as a newsletter cover . Some game dev inspired pixel art would be cool, little guys in white coats wondering what the hell to do with 2 enemies stuck together, that sort of thing. Just think it has a good look to it, and with more detail it could be epic.

I can look at pixel art all day, it's pure nostalgia for me. I mean, on the ST I did an exact replica of the Mayor from Final Fight - with no mouse!, used the joystick and Neochrome and it took like 5 hours. I always like how magazines would enlarge sprites in reviews, made it easy to copy them, and good practice too. Anyhoo, I'm choking up just thinking about it.

Health, Ammo, and bacon and eggs!
Hobgoblin Lord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2010 00:26
Looks really good Phalaex, I love making iso pics but just don't have the time anymore. I always liked Graphics Gale for Pixel work especially if I wanted to animate it.

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2010 00:05 Edited at: 21st May 2010 00:09
The book is called Extreme Photoshop CS, and a used copy costs less than a day late fee at the library. It's not the best book in the world, but information on isometric was helpful. It also mentions the proper angle of 26.xx something degrees and not 30.

@Van, I thought about drawing Scorch somewhere in the pic.

If other people want to add to the picture, I can upload the PSD file and create a community magazine cover.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" ~ Arthur C. Clarke
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2010 00:46 Edited at: 22nd May 2010 00:47
Here's my newest one

GIDustin
Years of Service
User Offline
So they dive off the top of the building into the big pool, but then how to they get out? You need a ladder on the outside of that pool. Also, the windows joining together in the corner look kinda weird. Nice job though!

Hobgoblin Lord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2010 10:43
I did the tutorials a while back in Flash, not to the depth of the book you have I'm sure but they might be helpful. Be kind I was really new to Flash when I did these

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/386224

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/386538

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2010 02:17
firewall won't let me see newgrounds, lame.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 07:27:36
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 07:27:36