Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Strange problem

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2010 00:00
Hello all,

I just started toying around with the Dark GDK and C++ Express and am following a sample from the Tony Gaddis book.

I typed the following code from the book example:

Everything compiles without error, and the form appears as it should. But there are no circles, just a black empty background.

Anyone else experience this?

Russell B. Davis/aerostudios
Freedom Fighters
Years of Service
User Offline
you might want to set the color for the circle.

that will color the chape white. that used for shapes as i remember,

Problem Solution That Never Fails: "Build A Bridge And Get Over It"
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2010 00:38
I would think you need to call dbSync(), maybe twice, this function updates the screen.

Usually you will have a loop like this and the screen will update maybe 60 times a second:

aerostudios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2010 17:53
Thanks for the feedback guys. I actually did everything you suggested. I also added code from another section to simply draw lines with these circles.

Oddly, the lines are drawn, but not the circles. I am running Windows 7/Pro.

Mireben
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2010 19:47 Edited at: 19th May 2010 19:52
Do you have NVidia video card?

It is a known issue that circles, ellipses and dots do not appear on some software+hardware configurations, mainly Vista (Windows 7 has been reported as well) + NVidia. There is a bug report about this:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=158209&b=15

Note: placing the drawing commands inside the Dark GDK loop solves the issue on my computer. If it does not help on your machine, then please add your experience to the bug report thread.

As a workaround, you can use these circle and ellipse-drawing functions and call them instead of dbCircle and dbEllipse, at least you will see what you are doing:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=158250&b=22
aerostudios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2010 02:32
I'll have to check the new Windows7 PC where this problem is happening. I think it is NVIDIA.

So, I just got home from work and tried the same thing on my trusted Windows XP/SP3 machine WITH an NVIDIA card, and presto! Everything worked just fine. Thanks for the tips and I will examine my new PC and see if it meets the bug requirement.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-02 05:36:51
Your offset time is: 2024-10-02 05:36:51