Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Simple World Builder - WIP

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2010 04:53 Edited at: 31st May 2010 08:18

Simple World Builder

For those who really REALLY don't want to download the exe or source, here are some youtube videos showing off what it does so far:
Youtube Playlist

Something that's been simmering on the back-burner for a while now. I finally got back into the swing of programming again (after purchasing the DBPro Bonanza pack), and decided to continue with this project.

This is inspired by two things:
Atmoshpir
Minecraft.

Now, this portion of the project is only the world editor. I'm probably going to use it to make a marble madness clone, for prototyping purposes.

Here's a basic screenshot of what's working so far:
V 0.0.1

V 0.0.2

V 0.0.3

Here's the latest build:
Full EXE v0.0.3

Here's the Main Source Code:
Source RAR v0.0.3

Controls:
A = Widen Camera View
Z = Tighten Camera View
Mouse Wheel = Changes the Camera Viewing Width (Greater than A and Z)
Arrowkeys = Control Camera
PageUp and PageDown = Move up and down Levels
Left Click = Places a textured object
Right Click = Deletes the object at the selection area
Space = Toggles Object Mode (Cube and Plane for now)
~Tilde = Displays the Debug Info (if your curious)
The mouse can also change the Object Mode by hovering over the bottom-left menu then clicking which mode you want from the pull-out menu.

The Current Texture is also displayed in the bottom-right menu (No changing that yet).

Be aware that I've used a few plugins (eXtends, Cloggy's D3D, DK Plugins, and I Think some Matrix1 stuff) if you try to compile the source code.

Any feedback would be welcome.

v0.0.3 changes:
-A rewrite of a lot of things to utilize the eXtends Object Oriented style asset creation (for later extensibility).
-Added a usable menu that displays pertinent info (Object Mode and Current Level), and can be used to change the Object Mode.
-Added mousemovex/y() object deletion for quicker reaping.

v0.0.2 changes:
-Added object addition and deletion (only planes for now).
-Added Mouse wheel usage for the camera.

Currently on Track:
Move up and down on the y axis.
Actual support for an interface.
Add more object types. {more to come}
Develop and Implement a "world" file type to save to and load from.
Select and edit individual object properties. Also, move, position, and scale objects.
Add paths using Bezier Curves and Multi-Column/Row Planes. {this is for a marble madness clone after all}

-
EFX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2010 05:14
update to v0.0.2

-
Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2010 03:13
Looks fairly interesting.......Would like to see this come along a bit.

Hobgoblin Lord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2010 19:33
looks interesting, would like to see where this ends up

tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2010 21:03
Looks very nice and smooth. I'd love to see a marble madness type game come out of this.

A 3D marble platformer using Newton physics.
EFX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2010 08:17
Updated to v0.0.3. Also, I uploaded another video to the Youtube link if you want to see it in action (without having to trust my exe's )

-
EFX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2010 06:41 Edited at: 3rd Jun 2010 06:45
Alrighty, some new things on track. Though it ain't perfect yet.

I can now save a very basic level. Here's some screens:

But, from the before and after images above, you can tell texturing isn't carrying over; and that the plains are losing all positional and rotational information. I will investigate, but it's too late right now.

PS: Also, my save function is called "Save_World()". HA

Here's the first form of the function, if anyone can see the problem on this end of saving/loading sequence (also, this is still the initial layout for it, there still needs to be a lot of error checking in here):

-
Sven B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2010 10:49
Hi EFX!

Nice editor you got there. Looks very easy to use .

I made some editor myself a while ago, and if I can remember correctly, .dbo objects don't save texture names (I believe they save UV-data okay though). I believe I made my own .X exporter back then that allowed to export with textures, in X format. If you would ever feel the need to do this too, I would recommend:
http://local.wasp.uwa.edu.au/~pbourke/dataformats/directx/

Other than that, what's the black thingy doing on the DBP-loaded map? :-P

Cheers!
Sven B

EFX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2010 13:48
Quote: "Other than that, what's the black thingy doing on the DBP-loaded map? :-P"

Those seem to be all the plains sitting in the exact same spot. Yay.

And that seems odd about the DBO format, since when I open up the final object file inside of Notepad, I can see the reference to the texture file. I also transferred over the texture file itself to the testbed loading program folder, keeping true to the directory structure.

-
EFX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2010 18:00
Alrighty, quick update. Got level saving working. Now I just need to implement a loading function and add windows dialogs to both functions.

I should have new version out tonight. Next implemntation, vertex editing.

-
EFX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2010 05:43
Alright, jumped into saving and loading again this evening, but now I'm having some new issues.

When the world is saved I'll get object artifacts. It will be an extra object that is a flipped version of what the level should be and untextured. It's really weird. It also only happens with smaller levels, not larger ones.

Here's a screeny showing WTF is going on:

And, here's the newest iteration of the Save_World function.

Any advice would be appreciated.

-
EFX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2010 05:32
Version 0.0.4
Now, save that s**t

Alright, now I can't seem to replicate the problem again. I'm thinking it might be an issue with internal memory or something. I can't for the life of me see anything in my code that could be causing this.

To save: Ctrl + S
To load: Ctrl + O

As it stands, the save and load functions work, so a new version number and release are in order, so here's v0.0.4:
Executable in a rar(included is the only texture file for now, since the dbo format needs that file to render properly after loading)
Source(make sure to keep the folder structure intact since the dbo format dosen't like nested file references to texture files)

And no new screenshots or video since nothing has really changed graphically.

This weekend, I'm going to start working on vertex manipulation. After that, I'll be able to actually implement the levels into a Marble Madness Clone engine.

-

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 13:19:29
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 13:19:29