Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / MOVE that BUS for AVERY!!!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2010 23:56
Hello fellow TGC members!!

I know that I haven't posted here much, but there is a reason for that. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to use Dark Basic Pro, or any other software package, for about 2 years now. Here is a little history as to why.

I am from Massachusetts and have 4 children and have been married since 1991. Of those 4 children, 2 of them are special needs, with one of them being very severe. His name is Avery and he will be 2 this month. He was born 2 months early, because my Wife had severe preeclampsia and was having heart failure, so they had to deliver him asap. Avery has spent months and months at Children's Hospital, in Boston. When he is there, my Wife is also there with him 100% of the time. That leaves me to care for our other 3 children. Needless to say, it is very difficult to have our family split apart from each other, especially since we home school the 2 children without severe special needs. If you are interested, you can learn more about Avery here:
http://www.theboldchristian.com/My-Ongoing-Trial.html

I apologize ahead of time if I am not supposed to post that link here, or the next one.

Well, Avery has been home now since January 2010 and we really would like to keep our family together, but our house was built in the 1920's and is in desperate need of repair and it is potentially dangerous for Avery to be here. So, my Wife and I decided to apply to Extreme Makeover Home Edition. When a friend of the family found out that we were doing that, she created a Facebook support page for us called "MOVE that BUS for AVERY!!!", which can be found here:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/MOVE-that-BUS-for-AVERY/122278731139197

As of this writing, over 2,200 people have supported us here and the page has only been up since Thursday of last week! We have been overwhelmed by the outpouring of love that has been shown to our family.

I know this seems a bit self-serving and I apologize for that, but if anyone here has a Facebook account, would you please consider supporting our bid for a new home? We are not looking for any handouts from our supporters. We are just hoping that if enough people are behind us, that it may persuade ABC to choose our family, so that we can stay together.

We are eternally grateful for any help that any of you could provide.

Thank you SO much and may God bless you all!!

Joe Austin
BlueKlayman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2010 00:58
I would, but I don't have facebook... But either way, I wish you luck .

Agent Dink
Years of Service
User Offline
Done! I'm rootin' for ya!

MISoft Studios - Silver-Dawn Gorilda is lost!

Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
I wish for the best.

Rawwrr. Sig Fail.
Newcastle is awesome
JHA
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2010 16:23
@ BlueKlayman - No sweat, I appreciate the well wishes!

@ Agent Dink & Mad Nightmare - Thank you both SO much. We really appreciate your support!

Joe
Master Man Of Justice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2010 18:09 Edited at: 2nd Jun 2010 18:11
Joined and suggested to all
You and your family are in my prayers.
I will see if my priest can make a mass dedication to Avery.

JHA
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2010 18:53
@ Master Man Of Justice - Wow! Thank you so much. God has truly blessed us, whether we are chosen or not, we praise him!

I know that you edited your post a little, but I agree with what you said first as well.

Thanks again,
Joe and Family
Master Man Of Justice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2010 19:26
I didnt want to come across as being mean to Mad Nightmare.

JHA
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2010 19:44
I completely understand! Thanks again!
Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2010 19:50
Joined.
Even if you don't get selected, your story is being read by many people. Your story and your faith during this trial are encouraging. Thank you for sharing. God bless you and your family. My prayers are with you.

Ron

a.k.a WOLF!
Master Man Of Justice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2010 19:58
Too bad there arent clones of Ty Pennington

JHA
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2010 20:11
@ Ron Erickson - I actually saw your post to the wall and replied to it before I saw your post here. Thank you very much Ron!!
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2010 20:17
Joined.
JHA
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2010 20:32 Edited at: 2nd Jun 2010 23:06
I saw you too Fred. Thanks!!

I have always loved the TGC community, since joining here in Dec 2003. I just wish I had a finished game to show for the time I've been here.

You guys are great! Thanks again.
Oolite
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2010 21:10
I thought i responded to this last night...

I have had close friends in similar situations to you so your story touched me. I have joined up to show my support.

All the best mate and Good Luck.

JHA
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2010 21:18
Thanks Oolite!! Much appreciated!

We hope that if we are chosen, that we could use this to help other families in similar situations. Being in Children's Hospital, in Boston, we have seen many families that could use a little help. We would like to create a foundation that provides money, handicap ramps, vehicles and whatever else they may need. We would also like to help fund a program that one of the Doctor's has going, where he actually makes house calls. He comes to our house once a month, which helps us to be able to stay home. SO many families could benefit from that.

Well thanks again everyone. We have truly been blessed!!

Joe
zeroSlave
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2010 22:06
Gotcha. I emailed my wife and my family, so they should all pop up on facebook at some point. I'll also pass this around the office here!

Good luck on your endeavors! And let us know if you happen to get some airtime on ABC. My family will watch for sure!

My green thumb grew the tree my Trojan War horse was crafted from. With roses in our pockets we rally round the tombstones. Ashes to ashes, we all fall down.
JHA
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2010 23:06 Edited at: 2nd Jun 2010 23:08
That's awesome!! Thanks CoughMist!!

As soon as I know, whether we've been chosen or not, I will post it here.
Lemonade
Years of Service
User Offline
Joined.

JHA
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2010 23:36
Sweet!! Thanks! I am also a Blenderhead, as well as a TGC'er. Cool!
SikaSina Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2010 23:58
I joined . Best of luck .

-SSG

--=. ,=--
"Death is a surprise party. Unless, of course...you're already dead on the inside." - John Kramer, SAW III
Agent Dink
Years of Service
User Offline
I invited all my FB friends. I read the blog you have set up. Your story is amazing and I can't even imagine the level of care you give to Avery. You are amazing parents and you will all be in my thoughts and prayers.

MISoft Studios - Silver-Dawn Gorilda is lost!

SikaSina Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2010 00:09
I feel left out here everyone sounds like they believe in God "/. But in case, I will, and I hope God gives you what you wish for, and provides you with lots of luck and hope .

-SSG

--=. ,=--
"Death is a surprise party. Unless, of course...you're already dead on the inside." - John Kramer, SAW III
Insert Name Here
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2010 01:16
Joined. I wish ya luck, guys.

[center]You can get further with a smile and a gun than you can with just a smile.
JHA
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2010 03:00
@ Insert Name Here, Agent Dink and SikaSina Games - Thank you SO much!!

Quote: "I feel left out here everyone sounds like they believe in God "/. But in case, I will, and I hope God gives you what you wish for, and provides you with lots of luck and hope .

-SSG"

@ SikaSina Games - I don't want to get too far off topic here, but my website is Christian based and there are articles on there, that might help you with that decision. I will link directly to the articles, but there is also a Forum where you can ask questions, if there is anything that you have been wondering about. I can't promise you that I will have all of the answers, but I believe I can help you make an informed decision.
Here are the articles: http://www.theboldchristian.com/Quality-Christian-Articles/

And here are the Forums: (These are brand new, so no-one but me has posted there yet.)
http://www.theboldchristian.com/phpBB3/

I apologize, if I have overstepped my bounds here. God has been very present in my life, but I didn't see him until I was able to see life from a different perspective. Maybe, that is all you need too. God bless!

Joe
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 3rd Jun 2010 03:47
Joined. Best of luck to your family!

Check out my videos!
Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2010 03:52
As a warning to anyone who may be tempted.... do NOT turn this thread into a religous debate. THANK YOU!

a.k.a WOLF!
budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Hard to get
Posted: 3rd Jun 2010 03:58 Edited at: 3rd Jun 2010 04:17
I don't have FB, but I sent the link to the story and the FB page to the people that I know, that have facebook. I wish you the best of luck, I'll make sure to keep you in my prayers.

AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2010 05:26
Joined! I wish you the best of luck.

i like orange
JHA
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2010 13:54
Quote: "As a warning to anyone who may be tempted.... do NOT turn this thread into a religous debate. THANK YOU!"

Definitely not trying to get a debate going there. Just trying to offer some information that might help. I know it's a hot topic that would not be appropriate to get started here. I won't post the links again. Sorry Ron!

@ CoffeeCoder, budokaiman and AndrewT: Truly appreciated!! Thank you so much!
Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2010 15:25
Quote: "Definitely not trying to get a debate going there. Just trying to offer some information that might help. I know it's a hot topic that would not be appropriate to get started here. I won't post the links again. Sorry Ron!"

I think your links were fine and nothing that you posted pushed against the lines of the AUP. The problem is the slippery slope that can quickly occur from follow-up posts. That is what the warning was against. So, no worries.
BTW, I had a quick look at your site. You have some very good, helpful information there. If I get some time, I may join your forums

Ron

a.k.a WOLF!
JHA
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2010 16:30
Good! Didn't want to be starting trouble.

It would just be you and me on the forums, but I guess you have to start somewhere! Thanks Ron!
Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I didnt want to come across as being mean to Mad Nightmare."

Sorry if I said anything that offended anybody!

Rawwrr. Sig Fail.
Newcastle is awesome
SikaSina Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2010 23:20
Quote: " I don't want to get too far off topic here, but my website is Christian based and there are articles on there, that might help you with that decision."

I do believe in God to some extent, but I don't worship him or anything, and I'm always open to religious discussions, I won't back out unless it gets to a 'we're gonna convert you whether you like it or not'. I'm not biased towards any religion and I don't know what my friends and whatnot would feel like if I became Theist (I'm Agnostic/Atheist).

Anyhow, sorry if that sounded a bit harsh (it wasn't written to mean that) and let's return to the thread :

I read a quick bit on your experience on your site and I must say, you have had a lot of luck and miracles to go that far. I do hope Avery is fine and that your family is healthy too . It sounded like a very heart-throbbing experience you've had, and it's good to know that you are still overcoming your problems and fears. Once again, I wish you luck and hope .

-SSG

--=. ,=--
JHA
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2010 23:54
Quote: "Sorry if I said anything that offended anybody!"

@Mad Nightmare - You said nothing that offended anyone. It's all good!

@SikaSina Games - No harm done. All is well. Thank you very much for your support. God bless!! My offer to the forums is still open, should you or anyone else have any questions.
Master Man Of Justice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2010 20:18 Edited at: 4th Jun 2010 20:19
Quote: "Sorry if I said anything that offended anybody"

No no no, not at all, just a minor grammatical nitpick i seem to do alot now. I hate that about myself, i have loose lips, which is why the edit button was created
[edit]
just kidding
[edit]
im sorry
[idiot]
edit
[idiot]

Asteric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2010 22:40
Joining now, wish you and your family all the best, hope that everything works out for you. Your story is truly touching, and you can rest assured i will be passing this on to all of my friends and family on facebook.

Cyborg ART
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2010 23:25
SikaSina Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2010 23:26
Forgot to say as well, I invited all of my friends and I think around 12/210 of my friends have joined .

-SSG

--=. ,=--
bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Joined.

----------------------------------------
"bond1 - You see this name, you think dirty."
JHA
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2010 14:06 Edited at: 5th Jun 2010 14:08
@ Asteric, Cyborg ART, SikaSina Games and bond1 - I really love this community!! I wish I could be part of it more often.

I do have a passion for creating games and even started teaching my 15 year old son at one point, but things just started getting too hectic, so we had to stop. Unfortunately, he hasn't really shown much interest since then. He's a player, not a creator I guess.

Anyway, thank you all SO much for your support! You are all appreciated very much!!
Travis Gatlin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2010 04:18
joined.

The Object of war is not to die for your country but make the other guy die for his
JHA
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2010 17:20
Thank you Very much Travis!!

We have over 4100 supporters now, which is almost doubled since I first posted about this here!

Thank you ALL for the support. My family is grateful to you!

Joe
Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2010 17:23
My family has accounts there, but I don't myself, so I'll just let them join there

JHA
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2010 17:29
Thank you Metal Devil123!!

I appreciate you forwarding it on. That's how it snowballed in the first place, so I'm cool with starting another avalanche!

Thanks again,
Joe
Travis Gatlin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2010 20:59
Your welcome! always glad to help a good cause.

The Object of war is not to die for your country but make the other guy die for his
Defy
FPSC BOTB Developer
VBOTB Developer '09
Years of Service
User Offline
joined. All the best.
1+1=3
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2010 15:59
Done, best of luck dude

I don't have a signature... WAIT... PARADOX!!
nackidno
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2010 16:59
I joined the group, wish you the best of everything!

Try
Years of Service
User Offline
Long long time no see, forum!
Hey Austin family, we're backing you up
I pressed the 'Like' button and sent a message on your wall, is that correct?

Anything else?

Good luck,
- Try

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 02:34:20
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 02:34:20