Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Chess GDK

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2010 09:09 Edited at: 4th Jun 2010 08:31
Hey there, I've been working on a chess game for a couple of months now, and I now feel that it’s in a decent of enough state to show to people. I’ve been through a couple of programming classes but I’m still pretty new at this.
The game is essentially complete as far as the rules of chess are concerned. The one exception is that for promotions, I haven’t added the ability to pick your piece; it just automatically gives you a queen. Also the interface could surely be improved. You can rotate the camera up and down, but not left and right as of yet. Currently there’s no AI, but it’s something I would like to attempt in the near future.

As far as features go:
*you can save and load games. (It automatically saves the game when you exit)
*I’ve made the game be able to use both 2D and 3D models.
*I wrote a setup program in VB2008 to allow you to the change graphics settings/file settings and as well as to launch the game from.

I’ve had a couple of issues I could use some advice with though. First, a friend of my mine made the 3D models in 3DS max, and we tried to keep the resolution low but still the game takes a good 15 seconds to load them. It seems a bit long to me, and I’m not sure if there is something easy we could do to reduce that. Secondly, I’ve had a hell of a time trying to get the lighting to work well off of the models. I’ve screwed around a lot with many of the functions including dbSetObjectSpecularPower, which I now have set to around .1, but the chess pieces still look pretty washed out.

A couple of things to note:
*Your probably going to want to run the game shortcut in administrator mode, otherwise the game will likely crash if you have the 3D models enabled.
*When using the setup program make sure you hit save after you change a setting.
*If the setup program doesn’t work for whatever reason, you can launch the game directly in the game sub folder. You can use the “Setup.txt” file to change the settings too. The first 2 lines are the resolution, the 3rd controls Full screen, 4th controls using 3D models or not, the 5th is if you want to load a game or not, and the last two lines are the save file and load file names.

The controls are so far:
*Left mouse button selects and places pieces.
*The scroll wheel zooms in and out.
*The arrow keys move the camera around.
*Z and X will tilt the camera up or down.
*Shift will crash the game as I was using it to test a selection screen for promotions that I have yet to finish.

…Anyway thanks for taking a look and let me know what you think.

Screens

//http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af261/Alex843/Chess%20GDK/Chess2.jpg
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af261/Alex843/Chess%20GDK/chess1.jpg

Attachments

Login to view attachments
haliop
User Banned
Posted: 3rd Jun 2010 15:04
good job man i like it alot.
Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2010 15:28
Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2010 19:17 Edited at: 5th Jun 2010 19:22
Uh, I've tried to link these but it seems that the % (original space character) is a problem:

http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af261/Alex843/Chess%20GDK/Chess2.jpg
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af261/Alex843/Chess%20GDK/chess1.jpg

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2010 20:24
Very nice. I think the image of the 3D chess pieces makes it look much more professional.

Link102
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2010 19:05 Edited at: 7th Jun 2010 19:07
weird. Photobucket always works for me. (see sig below)

edit: why don't you remove the space from the album name.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 17:54:26
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 17:54:26