Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / AmigaOS XL - Amithlon

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2002 04:46
Been checking up some information on new Amiga Hardware due to the recent nostalgic posts... and all i can say if
OH MY GOD!!!

http://amigaosxl.haage-partner.de/index-e.html

I'm checking up more on the actual hardware currently available and being manufactured.
i knew the amiga was powerful, but DAMN!

This is seriously something outstanding and i'm gonna try the demo out once i've burnt to CD.
CrossPlatform Compatibility sound outstanding too
Anata aru kowagaru no watashi! http://members.lycos.co.uk/TimeSaga/smile/wack.gif[/img]
pathfinder
Years of Service
User Offline
hmm would be sweet to play all my games again, maybe lightwave will go back to that platform again like the good old days

hell iam buying one

Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2002 05:35
well since windows went greedy i think linux freebsd unix macos and amiga (if only beos was still around) will come back stronger...

AMD Athlon XP 2100+ OC to 3Ghz/1.5gigs ram/128mb ti4200/120gigs hd/19" monitor/Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum EX/2.5mbs Sat Con... I joined in!
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2002 11:54
lol AmigaOS (workbench) has lasted almost 18years now
BeOS was nice, but to they didn't market it well enough ... you ever try to get a copy apart from Direct.
Like asking for a Beef Steak at a Vegetarian Covention

Was trying out AmigaOS XL ... damn the actual GUI doesn't seem greatly different to WinXP, but then I started moveing windows. NO window trails, and the Desktop refresh rate could handle 2048x1024 with relative ease, even on this piece'o'junk

They've gained the stupid "Windows" Start menu setup, but then again everything is still accessable through the Workbench Icon and you can still access your Ram Direct and create Ram Drives
Grabbed half my ram and put Quake3 onto it, so had like 750Ram for actual gameplay.

Gotta say, 100ATA Driver really has nothing speed wise on CLK2 DDR Ram
Ever loaded the Quake3 worlds in under 10seconds?
Have a good feeling that the processor also had some sorta slight gain here. But if Amithlon is emulating the Amiga processing unit '060/50Mhz - 450Mhz PowerPC then my Duron 800 really is quite slow for the Mhz
And just think Durons are even faster than Equvilant Celerons

Anata aru kowagaru no watashi!
Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2002 20:43
Everyone laughs of me cause I've bought a Intel 2ghz. They say AMD are much faster, cheaper, bla, bla bla.... I had two AMDs in one year. From one time to another, the processor and the motherboard just got fried. Luckly, the garanty supplied me another one, which burned out after 6 months. I have an FTP server almost set up all the time, which I also use as a server to play games ( quake 3 ) with friends.... and AMD are just not strong enough for long time turned on. Sorry to say that, but AMD never ever more...

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
-- Rogue
Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2002 21:17
wait so is amiga like an emulator

AMD Athlon XP 2100+ OC to 3Ghz/1.5gigs ram/128mb ti4200/120gigs hd/19" monitor/Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum EX/2.5mbs Sat Con... I joined in!
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2002 00:10
Rouge I ONLY use AMD processors, admitdly the only machine on for long term periods is my Duron machine ... however that one is only rebooted once every few days and hasn't actually been off in almost 3months. Even then was a few hours as i tinkered with the hardware inside.

You WILL kill the lifetime of processors through overclocking, because running a processor at a speed it was never designed for will do that. However in the 3years i've had my Duron it has never failed me once, it is quicker than even the Pentium3 Equivilant (i'm talking realtime tests like Quake3, Max Rendering Times and such) and also I've not even had to replace the fan unit once, because the bearing on it are still nice and quiet.
I can't even count the time i've replaced them on the Pentiums ...
But then again i've never really had a processor burn out which wasn't my own fault, Virus's have caused it, incorrect programming has caused it... and once about 10years ago i accidentally put a friends AMD 486 DX4-100 in the wrong way, but actually that was only unusable for about 2hours as it cooled because we tried it again and it worked fine (even today)

To say AMD processors are poor because of your experience with them is just sad really, especially saying they seem to have no real usage life - because it isn't true.
I know many many people that overclock processors and then claim its the processor's fault they failed, but not being funny but Intel will die ALOT quicker being overclocked ... its only in the Pentium4 series they've places in safety measures to STOP people from trying to overclock more than 100Mhz (which is still pretty irrisponsible)

Saying it is upto continous use though just seems like crap to me, and would be no matter what manufacture you mentioned as both are extremely good at long term useage as most of the Pentium2/K6-2 series were designed specifically for business long term useage in mind.
If they are as poor as you mentioned them I know ALOT of companies which would be asking for replacements all the time and AMD would go out of business for it.

if you didnt overclock or anything, it is possible you simply bought from a bad batch - happens sometimes even from the best manufacturers.

Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2002 01:50
wait so is amiga like an emulator ok

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2002 05:54
no ... lol
this is the new AmigaOS XL - will run on either an Amiga OR AMD based machine
and will run any software for Win9x/Me or Amiga
i'm not sure about XP only software right now, but still is quite powerful.

MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2002 18:33
Seems to be rather limited - personally I would wait until/if they bring out other models.

Yes, I really am THAT good...
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2002 18:54
yeah i guess so, but only a test version really.
Still quite useful and does show the speed and compatibily

Freddix
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2002 20:49
Amiga OS XL is only designed for PC computers !
not for Amiga computers .

If you want to know about news amiga , there is a new model :
PEGASOS
It a ATX based board for PowerPC G3/G4 + Pci slots + AGP + AmigaOS 4.0 + MorphOS
MushroomHead
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2002 13:47
A leaked copy of AmigaOS 4.0 GUI design :-

http://simoami.freeservers.com/cgi-bin/i/images/AmigaOS4GUI.jpg

Also you can buy G3/G4 machines from Eyetech group in UK (they're official long time supporters of Amiga for UK) ... they come preinstalled with SuSE Linux but they OS 4.0 ready once its released ... I'm currently watching the scene but I'd rather have OS4 running on my PC than buying another machine ... here's Eyetech's site :-

http://www.eyetech.co.uk/

And Amigaone G3/G4 :-

http://www.eyetech.co.uk/addbar.php?Address=/PRODUCT/PAMA1/AMIGA001.HTM

- Rav.
Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2002 22:27
hrmmm let me see the gui

Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2002 22:29
its like linux + macos O_O

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2002 21:29
Boy looks like a sweet update over Workbench 3.9 (^_^)
I think thats the beauty of the AmigaOS/Workbench operating system, its almost every single environment you can think of under one roof...
Perhaps the new 4.0 update will allow for them to be used at the same time now, as last one was only MacOS and Workbench at once.

Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2002 05:40
heheh macos X looks kinda freaky... =\ gelly sorta... its what indi wants my website to look like... puffed out... i dunno why people just dont get puffs of s moke... sigh...

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2002 00:03
ya know you're av looks like a snowball someone's left one the pavement here
hehee

Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2002 06:25
its a puffball... heheh i tried... once i 3d model my darthvader helmet with the puff sticken out he bottom... lightsaber... cape... then that would be nice...

AMD Athlon XP 2100+ OC to 3Ghz/1.5gigs ram/128mb ti4200/120gigs hd/19" monitor/Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum EX/3072kbs Sat Con... I joined in!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 09:39:25
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 09:39:25