Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Lightning Limbs v1.1

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2010 18:33

Create custom animations for Limb-based 3D objects in a matter of minutes!

This new edition of Lightning Limbs (featured in the May 2010 newsletter) is being rebuilt entirely from scratch, allowing a host of radical changes in terms of speed, ease of use, and new features. Based on recent user feedback, the GUI is being given a complete overhaul, with new fully customisable keyboard and mouse controls, more accesible preview controls, and also the ability to run on any screen resolution (min resolution 1024x768)

Planned new animation commands include scaling limbs, and DBC/DBPro source code to scale and scroll the limb textures during the animation. It will also be posible to lock nodes, so that they retain their position or rotation when others are adjusted, and to set node limits that define how far a limb may be rotated.

How to use this demo:
Simply download the attached Zip file, extract all the files to a single folder and run "Lightning Limbs.exe".
On the first run, LL will have to generate some keyboard and mouse data - just follow the on-screen instructions.

Warning - Screen may flicker at this point (hope this won't be an issue for now, but I'm working on a solution)

Click the Offset/Rotate/scale limb buttons, and then click the XYZ buttons to activate that axis (alternatively, use keyboard 1,2,3). Then simply click and drag! To select other limbs, click the white nodes that appear at each joint.

Currently working features:
Offset Limbs
Rotate Limbs
Scale Limbs (NEW!)
Automatically detect Limb Hierarchy (NEW!)
Affect Parent Limbs (NEW!) - Moving one limb also adjust the parent as well (Try Y-rotating a shoulder joint on the object!)

"I wish I was a spaceman, the fastest guy alive. I'd fly you round the universe, in Fireball XL5..."

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Robert The Robot
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2010 18:36
Lightning limbs is now open source, as well! Attached is the current build's source code, for you to download and compile yourself (requires, DBC v1.21, but would compile under DBPro with a little work)

Feel free to make your own modifications, just remember to credit me as the original author, and I'd be fascinated to see anything anyone else came up with!

"I wish I was a spaceman, the fastest guy alive. I'd fly you round the universe, in Fireball XL5..."

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Mazz426
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2010 19:41
looks great, wanted to ask, will it be compatable with FPSC?

Robert The Robot
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2010 18:23
Afraid not, FPSC uses bone-based animations instead of limb-based, but I am working on a DBPro version that will be compatible (hope to have a WIP in the next few days )

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2010 20:54
I'm glad to see this is still alive. The next time I need to animate a model I'll know where to turn . Good luck!

Alfa x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2010 20:44 Edited at: 22nd Jun 2010 20:44
Hi,
pretty nice work congrats.
This is pretty cool IMO.

Animating characters can be very difficult and if anyone wants can do it with your tool or adjust the code.

Have to test this out. Will feedback later.
Robert The Robot
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2010 12:43 Edited at: 4th Jul 2010 12:44
Ok, sorry for not posting in a while but DB coding kind of slipped a little. As usual, the LL GUI is to blame...

The GUI works fine until I start adding in additional forms, such as a file browser, at which point I find it hard to work out should the program click the File borwser, or the limb menu toolbar underneath?

I have a couple of theories I'm trying to test out, but I hope to have something going within the next day or two. Most of the rest of the program has dropped into place, though - it's just making access to it user-friendly that's my problem!

Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2010 05:53
alright! Keep at it man, cant wait....

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2010 12:35
This is truly an amazing accomplishment Congrats RR!

TheComet

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 18:13:34
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 18:13:34