Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / ESF -Earth Space Fleet - new demo fully working

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2010 20:33 Edited at: 31st Jul 2010 11:25
i know i made confusion a lot!!!
************** OBSOLETE DEMO ****************
there is a newer demo

hi, posting again demo of ESF, no more screen res error, no more unlimited credit error and please test it.

in italian and english - FOR ALL - INTRO CAN BE SKIPPED ANYTIME PRESSING MOUSEKEYS OR SPACEBAR

advice, best to use with res>1280w,and a gamepad.
reqs: 2.8ghz CPU - 1gb videocard - 1gb ram, and two hands.

mediafire download: (63 MB)
http://www.mediafire.com/file/mmff2igmz21dlzy/ESFDEMO2.rar

again, if someone want to help is welcome, with media like ship (i'll very glad to have some guest ships,lowpoly and in 3ds,i've to add markpoints for cannons,lasers,etc),planet textures,sounds,musics.

thanks.

ogni scarafone è bello a mamma sua.
Ermes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2010 00:59
AC3d is great in instant rendering

ciao faccie da sedere!
Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2010 10:37
Haven't tested it, but it looks fun! I think I might tomorrow.
Guido Italy
Years of Service
User Offline
Veramente bello e curato !
Really beautiful and nice (google translate)
Ermes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2010 19:17
ma grazie! molto gentile!
You're welcome! very nice! (gugol transleit)

ciao faccie da sedere!
prasoc
Years of Service
User Offline
I think you may get into hot water with BioWare: 2nd picture on the left is from ME2

Ermes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2010 22:50
well, it's a demo and i'm in need of pics from humans and aliens.
The final game will be without bioware pics.
By the way, the game will be freeware and bioware will never find me and delete my game!

ciao faccie da sedere!
Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2010 12:48
BRAVO! MAGNIFICO!

Great work here! Congratulations!

Neat visual results! I like the fancy ships with their little antennas moving, the thrusters animations, the bullets etc.

I saw the intro animation, and played one mission and a half, (I haven't deeply revised the handling controls) and I must say that I like very much the simplicity and playability concept, along with the graphic design.

One minor issue that I had is that the space debris dots are green on my ATI hd4870. I haven't revised the source code, but that should be easily solved.

As said, great models, great textures, and great concept, very well executed.
I would suggest to use Poser or DAZ3d studio, along with some free models, and render your own high quality pics for those human and aliens.
If this is going freeware, I guess you'll have no problem either by googling for planets textures all around the web.

Nice! Keep it up!

Ermes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2010 15:36
space debris are green 'cause they're dots visualized by your hud system, for show ship's movement in space!

thanks !!!!!

ciao faccie da sedere!
Ermes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2010 00:55 Edited at: 6th Jul 2010 14:27
new planet shader system, grabbed from a demo by "Darkcoder"...

looks nice.

Ermes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2010 01:44 Edited at: 9th Jul 2010 02:00
hi, i'm not the way to be self-complacent, but i would like to know if the game runs or not and if some of you find some errors like not textured ships, broked images, and some english language help.
i'm not complaining about you don't like the game (i'm thinking so), but please understand, some wip posts with only pics have lots of posts,figuring on what can be the game without playing nothing, and my game with a full demo 13 missions working 70 ships and so on, just 4 of you spend some time on it, my purpose is to test the game, if it runs on every pc, if some res have troubles, but if nobody do this, there is no use to post a WIP project.
4 people testing is too little,i need more acknowledgment.
BTW if the game don't deserve your time,i will be sorry for sure but never mind.

if someone found me a bit rude, i apologise for this.

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2010 03:22 Edited at: 9th Jul 2010 03:23
xD I keep meaning to download it again now it works, I just haven't really had the motivation to play a whole game yet.

I'll see if I can do it tomorrow.

Don't get downhearted though, some WIPs just don't get the recognition they deserve. And that's on top of the fact the WIP board seems to have gone to sleep these last few months...

Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2010 11:47
I agree this would deserve a bigger response guys...

Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2010 11:54
Hey Ermes,

Downloaded and gave it a play through. I couldn't find any bugs, ships were all textured, no missing images. It all worked totally fine.

With the resolution, can it auto detect the current resolution? On that screen where you choose your resolution for your monitor, I didn't know mine, so I had guess.. I know it's not hard to look at your settings in the properties menu, but I think maybe if this is for freeware public, you have to assume people are stupid!!

In terms of the game, it's very polished. I like the consistent visual style, the choice of font and the design of the ships. It all fits together very well, and works as an overall game world - very well done there.

I'm guessing that English isn't your first language, and so I think that explains why some of the mission breifings and tutorials don't make total sense! If these are text files somewhere I would be happy to translate them into better English for you.

I think you need to perhaps change the way you teach people how to play. I didn't watch the "how to play" section, I just went straight into the game (as most people do). Perhaps you should build the tutorial into the game? The first time you get a ship with a new ability a little box pops up and tells you how to use the weapons etc.

You're right by the way that there are lots of unfinished games with loads of views, and you have something very complete that hasn't had alot of comments. Perhaps there is less feedback because you're so far on that it's difficult to make suggestions with you having to make big changes to the gameplay? It's very impressive what you have here, the sound, visuals and gameplay are all pretty solid. it's really hard to find fault in what you've got!

Oh, can the intro be skipped? I watched it both times I played and the second time I was like... I've seen this before.. how do I skip?

I'm personally a great believer that people don't read text in games, they just want to hop in and play. I ended up not reading the mission breifings, I'd just jump right in and start killing everything. Is there some way that you could make the text-breifing much shorter - just the key objectives, and have a longer breifing as audio - like a radio broadcast - playing when you start the mission?

I like the space debris and the way it gives you an indication of what way you're moving. It took me a while to work out that this was how I should work out my direction of movement - perhaps there either needs to be more debris, or some kind of marker on the ship to give a clearer indication?

Anyway, I think that's enough of my ranting. I hope some of this helps. It's a very good game, you should definately finish it.

All the best,
Butters

I want robotic legs.
Ermes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2010 12:46 Edited at: 9th Jul 2010 12:50
thanks, and again, thanks!

autoresolution is cutted off because i had some problem on it, and yes, i've to write a better english, intro can be skipped with spacebar before it loads, and i've to make a better tutorial.
thanks to all, now i've some new points to work on!

when i've a complete set of missions, i will post the text file, and i hope someone help me to correct my poor english !!!

by now text is in the source code, at the function "missiontxt()"

Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2010 13:39
Yeah, I'm on holiday next week. If you email me the mission text sometime then, I'll translate.

I want robotic legs.
Ermes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2010 17:33 Edited at: 9th Jul 2010 18:11
thanks, i've only 13 misisons, this is the file so far.

butter fingers i've mailed this to you. thanks.

how to read:
mtxt$ is the text of the mission
or$ is the in game orders text
mno$ is the text for the result of the mission, 1,2,3 is bad result, 4,5,6 is normal and 7,8,9 is excellent result.

edit: i'm reading what i writed in english, well, there's a lot of gramm error and nonsense... !!! my english is like a child of 6 years.... it is not so easy to write the same text in english and in italian, BTW someone want some help in italian??? i'm very good with my first language.

Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2010 19:01
LOL, that's fine dude, I'm sure that if I tried to make a game in Italian I'd have the same problem!

I'll have a go at it, Try and get it back to you by the end of the week.

I want robotic legs.
Ermes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2010 20:10
take your time, it's a big present for me your help!

zeroSlave
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2010 23:04
I haven't had a chance to sit down and play this yet, but the screenshots are amazing! It looks like it could be loads of fun! I can tell you have done quite a bit of work on this! I'll sit down sometime this weekend and try it out.

Also, what is the polycount you are looking for on your spaceships if someone was to make some for you? Is there a specific texture size you would prefer (would you want normal maps)? Also, what is the scale that you are using; 1 unit = 1 Meter? Do you need any specific type of ships? Transports, fighters, battleships, or etc?

My green thumb grew the tree my Trojan War horse was crafted from. With roses in our pockets we rally round the tombstones. Ashes to ashes, we all fall down.
Ermes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2010 01:20 Edited at: 10th Jul 2010 01:21
CoughMist, those are the specs.
1 unit = 1 Meter, but the average of the ships are about 70 Meters long. No normal map, only diffuse.lowpoly like max 1000 poly, if you want an example open a .x file and watch it.
you can help me with a set of one battleship and one civil ship like tanker, transport, liner, of the same design (alien race with battleships excorting civil ships).even a single ship, i will be happy to have help. Texture in bmp (small loading time) max 1024x1024.but play the game first.There is a ship archive section with all the ships unlocked, watch how i draw the ships.
Thanks

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: (Hide and) Seek and Destroy on my guitar!
Posted: 10th Jul 2010 01:50
I downloaded it a few days ago, but didn't get the chance yet to test it thoroughly, but from what I saw and played (only the first two levels), it looks VERY nice! The game looks detailed and well put together. There are some things I would change (like the green debris) and the sun (and the screen brightening effect when you look at the sun) should be a bit more brighter IMO. And, maybe make the models a bit bigher (or set the camera closer to the players' ship), because the models are very well textured, but you don't see them very well, if you know what I mean? And, give the user the possibility to skip the intro while it is playing. The music (with the woman voice) is very good IMO. It gives such a nice feel to it.
I will test it more and give you more feedback if needed.
NICE work, WELL done, and I hope you'll finish this?

Cheers

Slayer rules!!! Yeaaah, man!
Ermes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2010 02:17 Edited at: 10th Jul 2010 02:23
thanks, for all, intro can be skipped when you want pressing mousekeys, spacebar or joyfire. now on my version can be skipped pressing anykey.
if is the second or more time you run the game and you have at least one misison completed, program ask you if you want to skip intro pressing spacebar.
in the final version i want to have 10 different intros, and if you have read it,actually in the intro if you use nuperic pad you can control camera, + and - change ship,arrowkey control text.
if someone read it, uff, during game you can zoom with numeric pad + and -. there is an instruction section with all commands.
it was a my idea in space there aren't so much debris to have a "debris motion effect" so the green point moving are ship's computer generated dots used to read movement in space, like the old game "WARHEAD" of amiga and atari st.
Slayer i will take a point with your advices, thanks!

Hunter H111
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2010 06:35
This Game looks AMAZING!. Is there any chance that you could record a video of the gameplay?
Ermes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2010 19:16
i haven't any idea to how record a video from a game!

Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2010 19:31
Ermes, just download Fraps, or any similar video capture tool, and you will be able to record videos with a single key stroke.
I think you could get a lot of feedback if you publish a video in YouTube, for example a video of the introduction or something like that

Ermes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2010 00:27
Fraps, now i look for this, thanks!

Link102
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2010 14:06 Edited at: 11th Jul 2010 14:14
I got an error telling the bitmap on line 13036 is missing, right when it tries to load the intro.

Ermes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2010 19:30
ah! going to control this. thanks for the report.

Ermes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2010 01:59 Edited at: 13th Jul 2010 02:05
new planet shaders and a damaged ship - ingame

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2010 19:05
I finally got round to playing it:

I will admit when I started it up, you had me worried that Soharix had serious competition. - You've put a lot of effort into this. I tried making a very similar game and didn't get half as far.

There were some issues though:
Regardless of how detailed the ships are, they do look a little flat. - You should try using a parallax mapping shader on them, you'd be amazed at the difference in quality.

The little green dots were a bit odd, they behaved strangely sometimes and can be seen through objects.

The controls menu on the options screen never came up, it just went back to the main menu again.

The mouse movement was sticky, I don't know how you're doing it but if you move the mouse a little just to get a good lock on a target it doesn't move, but when you move it a lot, it will move lots.

Some explanation of the controls of the game and how the HUD worked and stuff would have been nice. - I mean, I still don't know what ACA is, what use the auto engine is or how to change the range on the radar.

I also got no further than mission 3. - It said to go get a ship near earth but I flew as close to earth as I could get, constantly pressing P whenever I could and not getting any green squares come up.

Other than these points^^^ The game is very well done, so don't feel downhearted at all; I really liked it.

Just needs some things clearing up, that's all.

Well done.

Ermes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2010 12:58 Edited at: 14th Jul 2010 13:00
ok, i already changed green dots in space debris, i don't know parallax mapping shader, i'll investigate!
about mouse control, i've to control because i always use gamepad.
about menu, i wasn't aware of any fault, i'll control this.
i think instructions of hud are in the menu not working... there's a full explanation of hud controls. ACA is "automatic collision avoider"
mission 3.... you must group a couple of trainer and smash two training targets, then go to the spacestation near earth, but look for the space station. i think is a fault of my not so clear english in writing missions!!!

i think to reupload a new demo soon with raycasting laser effects and spacedebris , new planets shaders and problems fixed.
thanks cowbox! you must play mission 11 to see the game's power...

WickedVixen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2010 15:47
I tried your demo.
This LOOKS AWESOME!

The scrolling timeline in the game's "attract sequence" should be relegated to a separate 'wiki' entry, for the player to view. This will give the player a better handle on the game and the universe the player investigates. Also, the scrolling text is too fast since later in the timeline, the entries get longer and disappear before I can read them.

Another note: The source code stops compiling at line 2954, a REMark statement, stating "could not understand command". Not sure what this is all about... I wanted to alter a couple of things.

(I noted that some of the racial pics are from a game called "Mass Effect". Is this why this game/demo is being released as freeware?)

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2010 21:51
@ Anitarquious I
Quote: "(I noted that some of the racial pics are from a game called "Mass Effect". Is this why this game/demo is being released as freeware?)"

\/ \/ \/

Quote: "The final game will be without bioware pics.
By the way, the game will be freeware and bioware will never find me and delete my game!"

Ermes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2010 21:55
there is a new demo on a newer thread.

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2010 08:04
Hey Guys,

This WIP looks real cool. Unfortunately I am downloading World Off Road WIP and I can't D\L this now but maybe sometime later. Screenies look great. Good work.

Clonkex

Making games is easy.....finishing them is a different matter.

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.8Ghz, Nvidia GeForce 9400 GT 512mb, 1gb ram.
Ermes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2010 18:57
Ah i know it's all my fault, i would like to delete this thread, Clonkex there is a new thread with a new demo. this is obsolete.

mikewhl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2010 01:39
Really nice work!
I would suggest one thing(not a criticism). I would like to have my actual vector and expected vector (er...direction of "flight")to be displayed on the ship (maybe just a ghosted cone?) I know they are displayed on the panels, but I am a little busy driving to look there for it.
All in all, 7 out of ten, would have been a nine, but the ships just seem to move to "quick". I find it difficult to control when I am getting a little excited in the heat of combat.

Really nice! I expect to learn a lot from your code.

Mike

some cool stuff someone else said here
mikewhl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2010 01:57
StarBlazers,
I have some ships you can use if you want. So cannon, some not.
No charge!
See if I can figure out how to load some screen shots.

Mike

some cool stuff someone else said here

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Link102
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2010 22:52
mike, post screenshots in png format.

This is the old topic. New topic is found here.
If any mod would place a .

Ermes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2010 01:18
yes please place a locker.

thanks to play the demo! i think ships in space will be very fast,i will code a new engine mode, like a "dogfight" mode combat.

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2010 10:03
I love the HUD, looks cool!

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" ~ Arthur C. Clarke

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 14:44:59
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 14:44:59