Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Nonogram3D

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2010 23:08 Edited at: 3rd Jul 2010 00:19
My first WIP thread!

I don't know the legalities of creating this game or sharing it with others since it is very much like Picross 3D, but I did some research and I think it is fine. (Somebody please let me know if it's not okay and I will take it down. )

"In 1987, Non Ishida, a Japanese graphics editor, won a competition in Tokyo by designing grid pictures using skyscraper lights which are turned on or off. At the same time and with no connection, a professional Japanese puzzler named Tetsuya Nishio invented the same puzzles."

For those of you who don't know what a Nonogram is, check here: Wikipedia.
For those that don't want to go there: Basically, the game is logic based and the player uses the amount of numbers on the sides of the board to determine what squares can be 'deleted' or if they should be marked.

Nonogram3D plays the same way... but in 3D! The numbers on the sides, tops, and bottoms of the blocks show how many of the blocks in that row or column there needs to be. If there is a row of 4 and the corresponding number is '3', then you can only break 1 block... Better make sure it is the right one! EDIT: *Also, I forgot to mention that a number with a circle around it means the number is split into two groups totaling the face value(if it is a 4, it can be "1 & 3" or "2 & 2") Also, a square around a number means it is in three groups or more totaling the face value(if it is a 4, it can be "1 & 1 & 2" or "1 & 1 & 1 & 1")* EDIT2grr) I also forgot to mention:

Left Click-Breaks Block
Right Click-Marks Block
Drag Left or Right Mouse Button on background to rotate puzzle

Basically, the entire 'engine' is done, but I need to add Menus and a bit of sparkle to polish off this game. I am planning on creating:

5 Tutorial Puzzles
20 Easy Puzzles
15 Normal Puzzles
10 Hard Puzzles

For a nice round 50 puzzles.

The next step I am taking with this is to build a Puzzle Creator. Right now, this program just takes a '.puz' file and reads the info into a 3 dimensional array. Then, it runs a checklist through each block and assigns whether it will have a puzzle number on it and which sides will have the number. There will always be a solution even though not all blocks are marked. Right now the game is one puzzle (until I add a menu) and you get 3 chances and 5 minutes to solve it(else, the program just closes.) If you finish it, it just says "You win!" in the left corner and you have to press escape to exit (or you can just play with the blocks)

Once I have the Puzzle Creator done, and the GUIs in place, all there is to do is make some puzzles! The final rendition will have the Puzzle Creator in it so that you can make your own custom puzzles to share or solve on your own!

Anyways, below are some pictures of the puzzle being solved, and attached is a demo of Nonogram3D. I look forward to reading any advice, suggestions, critiques, and/or comments from anyone!

Just started the puzzle!

Marked some blocks, but I made a mistake on that 3!

More progress:

I forgot to mention that I left the sliders in, but turned off most of their funcionality. You shouldn't need it for this puzzle anyway:

Getting close!

I'll let you finish it...

(6.72 MBs)

My green thumb grew the tree my Trojan War horse was crafted from. With roses in our pockets we rally round the tombstones. Ashes to ashes, we all fall down.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Ermes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2010 01:17 Edited at: 3rd Jul 2010 01:32
crashed after few clicks, and OMG i don't understand what i've to do in this puzzle...

game runs smooth and graphics is clear.

ciao faccie da sedere!
Link102
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2010 01:29
Quote: "and OMG i don't understand what i've to do in this puzzle"

It's explained in the first post, you should read it.

Ermes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2010 01:32
well, still not understanding it,maybe i'm a bit dumb.

ciao faccie da sedere!
zeroSlave
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2010 04:24 Edited at: 3rd Jul 2010 04:24
Thanks for downloading and giving it a try! I think it probably crashed, Ermes, because you tried to break 3 blocks that should not have been broken. Since I don't have a menu or "congrats!" or "you lost!" functions yet, it just ENDs. :/

Okay, a quick tutorial for the basics (I know this game isn't for everyone, and it does take some thinking, but I think after a few tries, it should be easy enough for anyone):

1. The 0(zero) here indicates that all blocks can be broken in this row. It is generally a good idead to take care of all the 0s in the beginning of a puzzle. That way, you can get rid of many rows of blocks that will just get in the way!

2a. First look at the 3(three) with the square around it. Since it is a square, we know that this number MUST be split into three separate goups where the total equals the face value. In this case, it is 3. If you'll kind of map in your head the possibilities that you can do with this row, you'll find out that there is only one way to mark the numbers. Any other way, and you wouldn't be able to make 3 groups. I already broke the 2nd block in that row, but you can also now break the 4th since there can only be 3 blocks in the row.

2b. Since we marked the squared 3, we now have a 1(one) that is marked. Well... there can only be 1 valid block in that row, so we can break the rest behind it.

3. Now take a look at the 4s(four). This puzzle is only 5 blocks wide, so there are only 2 possible ways to make this happen. The first 4 blocks... or the last fuor blocks. If you'll notice, the same 3 blocks are used in both cases... So, we'll mark them. We'll need to wait to solve the rest of that row.

4a. Here, we'll first look at the 5(five) that is grayed out. It is gray because all the valid blocks in that row are correctly marked and there are no blocks that need to be broken.

4b. Now look at all the fives down there. Since this puzzle is only 5x5x5, we know that all the blocks behind all the fives can be marked. This will surely help solving this puzzle.

My green thumb grew the tree my Trojan War horse was crafted from. With roses in our pockets we rally round the tombstones. Ashes to ashes, we all fall down.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Ermes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2010 11:50
well, this puzzle isn't for me! i don't understant it from the start, where are the rows, columns, it's all a row or a column depending from pov, there are lot's of numbers...,bah i'm really dumb!

ciao faccie da sedere!
Link102
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2010 20:02
maybe you should try a 2d nonogram http://www.nonogramsonline.com/

It's quite easy once you learn the trick to it.

Ermes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2010 21:35 Edited at: 3rd Jul 2010 21:39
nope, still not understanding this type of puzzle, like sudoku, it makes me repelling it. i'm sorry... i don't know what to say...

ciao faccie da sedere!
t10dimensional
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2010 21:46
O, I got so you just have to mark the squares in that row in groups of the number(s) it says.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2010 17:07
oooh, this looks like my kind of puzzle! I like the style too!

Downloading...

zeroSlave
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2010 18:46 Edited at: 9th Jul 2010 18:48
I'm still working on it, but not much to show yet. I'm using 3d models as the Menu "text". (thinking about when you click, the text falls apart into blocks.) Still working out the animations and mechanics of the menu:

Once the menu is done, I will update the above download with a newer one that has more puzzles and doesn't just exit the program upon losing. I'll be working more on it this weekend, maybe tonight. If I don't update soon, I'll at least upload some more puzzles that can be put in the puzzle directory.

Thanks for checking it out!

Quote: "O, I got so you just have to mark the squares in that row in groups of the number(s) it says."

Yes, sorry about that. I guess I should have made it more clear. You want to mark the blocks with the right mouse button that you know for sure should not be broken.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 08:51:26
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 08:51:26