Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

2D All the way! / What software do you use?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
What 2D game making software do you use?

I used to use Eclipse, which had easier scripting than here. Like by twenty times. Then I got perm banned on the forum for giving out a "Totally screw up your game until your computer crashes" script to some annoying guy who kept asking for a Final Fantasy Battle script. Once your banned from the forums, you pretty much have no way of getting scripts or graphics, and since I can't pixel art, and I never learned to use Sadscript, I just ditched the software and started looking for something more professional, but also not professional because those are way past my difficulty standards, and then I found FPSC <3.

- Monkey
Grog Grueslayer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Green Hell
Posted: 4th Jul 2010 19:22
Quote: "What 2D game making software do you use?"

The only good 2D game making software out there... Darkbasic Pro. The "Pro" in it does not mean it's more difficult to learn.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2010 21:39
There's DBClassic, with it's pixel perfect sprite collision, but has a lack of alpha support which cripples it.

There's DBPro, which can be complex but can certainly handle anything 2D you can throw at it - and can mix 3D in there for best results.

There's PlayBasic too, which is probably just as complex as DBPro, but has tons of features for 2D games.

There comes a time, when you have to shed drag, drop, point and click game creation utilities and start to do things your own way.

Health, Ammo, and bacon and eggs!
Le Shorte
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2010 02:21
There is RPG Maker VX, that one isn't bad. But it's only RPGs.

To anyone who lives in England: I liked London when I went two weeks ago.
LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2010 07:21 Edited at: 19th Nov 2010 18:33
PlayBasic is blazing fast and is specifically geared for making 2D games. The coding is similar to DBPro.

Monkey Mja
Years of Service
User Offline
Eclipse is pretty much RPG Maker VX online. Mabye like one or two less features. Like no Final Fantasy Battle System.

- Monkey
Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2010 02:31 Edited at: 8th Jul 2010 02:35
Quote: "The only good 2D game making software out there."

7 or 8 years ago, maybe.. Today there's a lot of options for 2d developers.

Quote: "if you can endure the neverending updates and constant changes to it, it might work for you"

sigh. I hope you can cite some meaningful examples here ? - Otherwise, it sounds we're being criticized for actually working on the product. Damned if you do, damned if you don't..

nackidno
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2010 12:26
I tried to learn how to use this engine, I gave up shortly after.. I have never been the best programmer or scripter for that matter, but you guys might want to check it out.

TeenCHristian
Years of Service
User Offline
I really like the Dark GDK

Learning C++
Proud member of www.codecall.com
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2010 09:25
Love2D looks kinda neat, uses OGL I'm assuming. I downloaded it to give it a try.

Right now, I'm working on my own game maker, but it's not ready yet.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" ~ Arthur C. Clarke
kordman916
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2010 05:25 Edited at: 31st Jul 2010 05:25
I recently started using Love2D about a week and a half ago and the engine itself is excellent but the userbase is very small and there aren't many posts in the forum to help if you get stuck but the posts that already exist are great and some of the games made with it are amazing for such a lightweight engine.

Dell Optiplex GX280, 3.4 GHZ Pentium 4 processor
1.5 Gig DDR2 ram, Geforce 8500 GT 512mb
Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2010 19:00 Edited at: 1st Aug 2010 19:02
LBFN,

Quote: " This is something I posted on the 28th of June 2009 in reference to the updates to PB. It is true that the software is actually only upgraded every few months or so, but the betas and updates are almost continual.
"

In the last year, PlayBASIC has seen 5 upgrades.

* PlayBASIC V1.64j _Retail Upgrade_ is Now Available (1st,June, 2009)

* PlayBASIC V1.64j2 _Retail Upgrade_ is Now Available (14th, Sep, 2009)

* PlayBASIC V1.64k _Retail Upgrade_ is Now Available (15th, Dec, 2009)

* PlayBASIC V1.64k Rev#2 _Retail Upgrade_ is Now Available (2nd, Jan, 2010)

* PlayBASIC V1.64L _Retail Upgrade_ is Now Available (27th, Apr, 2010)

See -> Annoucements

Quote: "
Perhaps "updates" would have been a better word than "upgrades", but my point is that since 5/15/09, you have done the following:

5/15 dl PB V1.64j Beta #11
5/20 dl PB V1.64J Beta #12
5/23 dl PB V1.64J Beta #13
6/1 PB V1.64J retail upgrade (must install patch PB 1.63w2)
6/8 dl PBFX V1.75 Beta #2 (I don't know the difference, if any, from PB and PBFX)
6/11 dl V1.75 Beta #3
6/17 dl V1.75 Beta #4

It's great that you are continually developing the software, but it seems like it is always in a state of flux.
"

It seems you've made this assertion before, perhaps you didn't read my reply ? - Anyway, unfortunately you're interleaving beta's as upgrades, they're not the same thing.

See-> Upgrades & Beta's

Quote: " I lost my copy of PB due to making the mistake of not backing up all of the necessary files. When I updated to PBFX, thinking it was the latest and greatest version of PB (it isn't), some necessary files got deleted (with PBFX you have to replace certain files manually), so I cannot save .exe files with it anymore. Since you cannot re-download PB like you can TGC products, you are out of luck. So, I'm out because of an attempt to upgrade. So yeah, I'm going to warn someone about this potential pitfall. The software itself is fantastic.
"

It's always our fault.. But, the terms are outlined in the receipt at the point of sale. Which vigorously encourages users to backup the materials there and then to avoid possible future disappointment. Which meant traditionally users had to email for new a installer, but these days there's a bonus feature built into our forums for full members, which does just that.

LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2010 16:32 Edited at: 19th Nov 2010 18:34
The software is fantastic for 2D games. You are working on it continually and it has a lot of features that are well thought out, which is good.

KaiProton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2010 13:04
I use MMF2,

and
MMF 1.5
The Games Factory,
VB6 -For a time, until I got Fed up trying the use the DX extentions-

Gamemaker 7/8

but Ive re-descovered DBP, and Im now trying to learn with that.
Image All
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2010 01:37
I use GameMaker 8 Pro to make this

Remember those old guys? They made epic renders, I think one of them was called DaVinci, and all they used was MS Paint. Sometimes it's just skill....

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 07:43:02
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 07:43:02