Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / [Q]uik's 2010 model thread

Author
User Banned
Posted: 16th Aug 2011 21:21 Edited at: 16th Aug 2011 21:24
Quik, nice to see you have been making some very good progress with your modelling and texturing, I remember when you first joined a few years ago and some of your first posts and its a pleasure to see someone developing into an artist. Keep at it.

Couple of things with the gun model I have noticed. The stock texture is somewhat stretched horizontaly. your just about getting away with it as this is as it is wooden but I saw it straight away. Always make sure you UV map has the same resolution across the whole model, often you can check this by applying a chequered texture map and making sure that every square on your model is the same size and still square. This is good practice and will help you no end once you start the diffuse texture.

I`ll mention it as something to bear in mind for the future but you could have been a little more efficient in your UV layout. No one likes laying out UV`s but this is a very sort after skill. Most art directors consider this as important as the modelling and texturing so remember this in future if you wish to consider going pro.

Have you tried working with specular maps yet ? find a tutorial on youtube or wherever for your 2d art package and give them ago. This REALLY helps to sell the metal look. whilst your doing that have a look into normal maps at the same time, trust me your models will gain a new level realism, but it takes practice and patience to do them properly.

One thing missing from your diffuse texture is a serial stamp and or makers mark, most guns have them some where. Keep at it. I rarely visist here any more so if you need any advice you can track me down through my portfolio linked in my sig and I`ll give you a kick up the backside and get you on track when you ask.

Portfolio

Available for weddings, bah mitz fers, funerals and freelance work.
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2011 22:18
Quote: "Couple of things with the gun model I have noticed. The stock texture is somewhat stretched horizontaly. your just about getting away with it as this is as it is wooden but I saw it straight away. Always make sure you UV map has the same resolution across the whole model, often you can check this by applying a chequered texture map and making sure that every square on your model is the same size and still square. This is good practice and will help you no end once you start the diffuse texture."

i know, I had to reuvmap the whole stock so i took the quick road and just uvmapped it using plane and then edited it a bit, i was a bit fed up with the model by then since i had the texture all done and such xD

other than that i can only say thank you a lot for the critisism and comment. Means a lot And i have looked into normal maps a bit but atm i have a really crappy computer who cant even handle a 100k+ polies on max >_> ill get to it later on this year. And this model does use a REALLY quick specular, made from the diffuse by setting it to grayscale and just playing around with dodge and burn tool.

like i said thank you for the nice comment and critisism

and for the record, I am a man.

lazerus
Years of Service
User Offline
Asteric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2011 06:06
Wood seems way too saturated atm. Will comment more when its not 4am

Camouflage Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks good man but I think you could add some sun wear and scuffs to the wood. It looks very pristine atm. Other than that it looks good

banner.jpg
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2011 18:02 Edited at: 22nd Oct 2011 18:02
my newest creation, i was inspired by Red Orchestra 2 to make this weapon, Ill call this done due to lack of references online =P (I couldnt find any on specifically on the iron sights)

The result of origin.. Oh and ponies
Alucard94
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2011 21:55
This is why I keep coming to this forum, being away for a few months and then coming back and seeing how much people have improved is awesome. The stuff is looking really promising, as I said being able to see you get better and better is very cool

Alucard94, lacking proper intelligence.
Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2011 22:20
Eh? How dare you make a better Ppsh then I did! You heretic!!

Nice work

-Wolf

Matter is energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively Theres no such thing as death,life is only a dream,and were the imagination of ourselves.
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2011 23:47
Quote: "Eh? How dare you make a better Ppsh then I did! You heretic!!"

I cant say I agree, Wolf. Thank you though, means a lot coming from you^^

Quote: "This is why I keep coming to this forum, being away for a few months and then coming back and seeing how much people have improved is awesome. The stuff is looking really promising, as I said being able to see you get better and better is very cool
"

Your comments are always so.. Warming, thanks a lot!

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2011 23:15
newest model WiP

very happy so far. my aim was around 6k polies but it is currently merely 1,6k polies... most likely 2k-2.2k after hands..

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2011 17:47
Update:

Iam not a great sculptor, but I am trying XD iam pretty happy with how it is so far.. well well going to try to bake it later on, so we will see how that goes xD

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2011 10:19
right so another update

I must say iam fairly happy with how the sculpt turned out!
iam also pretty happy with the helmet...
its taking form!

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2011 14:46
What is that, something tells me I don't want to meet one of those

Srry about my english im from sweeden
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2011 15:06
Pyramid head, from Silent hill, look it up

Alucard94
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2011 00:56 Edited at: 4th Nov 2011 00:57
Looks good, I think the main problem is the arms. Try looking up a bunch of anatomical references and mimic those.

Hello, I am Seb.
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2011 04:05
Yeah i know alucard, i knew SOMETHING was wrong with them >__<' but a bit late fixing them up imo
next time ill be sure to actually use references.. (this time i quickly just made a reference myself)

anyway, would 3 uvmaps be okay for this kind of thing? or should i stick with 2? /2048x 2048\
i was thinking 1 for the body, 1 for the wep + helm and 1 for the robe...
or maybe i should have one for the body and one for the rest?

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2011 23:55

update! texture is up and oncoming! however, i have seams.. on the arms.. and thumbs due to bad layout.
is there any program where i can load the texture into a 3d space and clone stamp the texture to fix the seams? i think i've heard of such things... anyway, iam pretty darn happy so far!

mike5424
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2011 00:04 Edited at: 6th Nov 2011 00:04
You could probably do it in zbrush or body paint.

Edit, you could use the zbrush to photoshop thingy, can't remember what it's called xD
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2011 00:05
Quote: "Edit, you could use the zbrush to photoshop thingy, can't remember what it's called xD"

well thats helpfull xD ill have a look around tomorrow again x)

Alucard94
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2011 11:25
Quote: "Edit, you could use the zbrush to photoshop thingy, can't remember what it's called xD"

Zapplink

Hello, I am Seb.
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2011 14:45

so there is an update of the final texture, lets hope i can get the seams update, but i wont update once theyre fixed... I will focus on researching rigging and see if ican get him rigged now, and he will eventually get a pose + a simple scene maybe.

Anyway, very happy with this one, especially since it took me merely a week!
I think i have improved over this year, here is my last years halloween pic which took me almost a month!
http://alioli1.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d31ttoz

IMO I have improved...

also: http://alioli1.deviantart.com/ <--- my deviantart profile
for those interested ^^

Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2011 05:14
Quote: "is there any program where i can load the texture into a 3d space and clone stamp the texture to fix the seams?"

blender can using texture paint

Mazz426
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2011 20:47 Edited at: 13th Nov 2011 20:48
It's looking nice, my main comment would be to revise your anatomy, and really that'd require starting again, just do some anatomy studies, get to know how muscles lay ontop of one another and what not, simply drawing these things out through observation can help.

In terms of fixing the seams I'd say that using an AO bake and some simple flat colour passes could be the best option, try using xnormal, the best program i've ever used for baking normal and AO maps.

If you do decide to try it out let me know, i can throw some settings and tips your way with the program to get some nice results, also it's free so, no harm in trying

Otherwise there is a definate improvement, simply the fact that this took you less time to produce is good step forward, time is always of the essence

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2011 21:32
Quote: "It's looking nice, my main comment would be to revise your anatomy, and really that'd require starting again, just do some anatomy studies, get to know how muscles lay ontop of one another and what not, simply drawing these things out through observation can help."

My next projects will soley focus on men and female anatomy, i feel i need to start working on faces aswell, like.. ALOT.
but body is also extremely important. anyway: anatomy will be my main concern^^

Quote: "try using xnormal"

i used that! however first time trying to use it so, not so sure how it worked: i merely generated a normal map and then made it black& white and edited on top of that for both textures and specular

Weapon & helmet doesnt have any normals, but a simple specular

Quote: "If you do decide to try it out let me know, i can throw some settings and tips your way with the program to get some nice results, also it's free so, no harm in trying "

I'd love that!

Thank you for taking the time to answer, and thanks for the nice compliment

Mazz426
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2011 13:19 Edited at: 19th Nov 2011 13:23
Hey Quik, finally got a chance to grab some of my settings, here ya go, hope they help

another thing to remember is the "normals to cavity" filter in photoshop which comes with xnormal, really good for exagerrating the edges which can really boost the texture, especially the spec

and another thing to check out is this thread on baking normals, really essential for understanding the fundmentals and figuring out why scewing can occur: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81154

Another trick I forgot to mention is usnig a large plane under the model being baked, what you want to do is create a large plane somewhat far away from the model being baked, load it into your high definition meshes palette and generate a seperate AO bake from that, you'll see a difference and its very good at getting shade data in there as well. Hope this all helped.

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2011 23:49

Iam getting somewhere!

this is for The competition this month (first WIP pic is in said thread)

Pbcrazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2011 04:22
Looking good, though your composition seems to be a bit... open ended? I like the objects, but having them on the table with no backdrop seems to leave the scene feeling a bit empty. Perhaps if they had a couple books or presents behind them to close off the scene in the rear.

Render looks great though!

The voices in my head said I'm normal... o.0
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2011 05:58
Quote: "Perhaps if they had a couple books or presents behind them to close off the scene in the rear."

thats a great idea, will definitly take that into consideration!
bear in mind iam not done with it yet, i do have some ideas left, although your point is most certanly valid and will be taken into account

Thanks

Pbcrazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2011 06:43
No problem, I figured you still had some tricks up your sleeve anyway.

Oh, I just noticed, perhaps its the lighting angle, but it kind of appears as if the Christmas card isn't casting a shadow. 0.o I was wondering why it looked funny earlier, but couldn't put my finger on it. Haha

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2011 06:51
gah, that christmas card is doing everything to mock me >__>' ill look into it later, i do think its the angle but my friend also complained earlier...

Pbcrazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2011 06:54
Haha, I feel your pain. Easy fix though, it just looks like the shadow was reduced to a thin line off behind it.

The more WIP shots the merrier!

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2011 07:15
Ill get to work after school^^ iam also a bit busy with Assassins Creed Revelations (soon finished it! )

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 22:41:23
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 22:41:23