Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / TicTacTwo - WIP

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2010 03:24
I have a game that I\'ve been working on.
It\'s not completed yet, and it\'s a new take on an old game...

I like it.
I wanted it to be finished for the Intel Challenge, but I lost it then found it, and again. But, here it is.

Any criticism is appreciated. Please be brutal if you have to.
I am including the \"program\" (executable file) and the \"media\" and \"sounds\" folders for the needed additional stuff.

Please. I want to get this finished and added to the Intel store or other similar outlets (even the TGC Store).

Thanks.

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2010 05:23
Um...

Quote: "But, here it is."

Where is it? xD

Zeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2010 06:31
I was going to ask the same question.

WickedVixen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2010 15:56
I added it to the initial post.
What happened?

Well, to rectify that...
Here it is!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
zeroSlave
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2010 22:17
I downloaded it, and it runs fine. But... I'm not sure what to do after pressing the space bar and starting a new game..? I tried clicking on everything, and even pressed every key on the keyboard, but nothing happened. Am I missing something?

My green thumb grew the tree my Trojan War horse was crafted from. With roses in our pockets we rally round the tombstones. Ashes to ashes, we all fall down.
bergice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2010 23:00
Quote: "I downloaded it, and it runs fine. But... I'm not sure what to do after pressing the space bar and starting a new game..? I tried clicking on everything, and even pressed every key on the keyboard, but nothing happened. Am I missing something? "

Same here.

9cdfb439c7876e703e307864c9167a15
WickedVixen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2010 05:45
Yes.
As I said, it's not quite finished. It is a work in progress.

I'm looking for some input.

Does the play area seem too small?
After pressing the spacebar, and looking at the rotating boxes, and with what's sitting there, does it seem to be too busy?

I'm working on the game loop, placement of error messages, anims for the Xs and Os on the cubes, and other things.

Did you like what's on the computer's cube? And the other graphics? Could anything be done differently or use different graphics?

Please let me know.

WickedVixen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2010 05:47
Sorry.

All that's implemented for controls are:
>>> spacebar for play start
>>> escape key to exit

Does it exit cleanly for you?
What computer configurations are you using?

If you have a netbook, please try it there, too. Let me know what if it runs. Inform me if it exits cleanly on these, too.

Thanks.

zeroSlave
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2010 06:52
I was just running it on a standard PC at the office. 2Ghz Duocore, 2Gb Ram, onboard graphics. It exited cleanly and worked the way I am sure you intended.

As far as graphics go:

The play area did not seem small at all. I think what you already have is fine as far as looks, but a background image might add a bit of sparkle. Although, I'm sure you have stuff in mind for future updates, I would have OnMouse events such as when the mouse is over a cube, it throbs slowly or is highlighted somehow. Possibly the cubes on the bottom left could spin slowly during the loop. Just a tad bit more visual FX responding to the player.

I didn't notice this on my work PC, but at home, the cubes spin incredibly fast before you hit space. You may want to set the Sync Rate to 60 or something because it seems like it is running around 500 fps or so on my home computer. Specs are 3Ghz cpu, 2gb Ram, 1 GB gfx card.

Anyways, good job! Keep it up!!

My green thumb grew the tree my Trojan War horse was crafted from. With roses in our pockets we rally round the tombstones. Ashes to ashes, we all fall down.
WickedVixen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2010 21:37
@CoughMist: Thx for the compy update. I need these kinds of tests.
It seems that they spin fine on my HP Pavilion 6500 Dual Core Intel Centrino @ 2.00Ghz w/ an nVidia 8500GS-M graphics card. It's not a powerhouse, but I develop on it with my Gateway 22" widescreen @ a max res of 1680x1050.

I was hoping for a rotating parallax starfield in the background but the ways that I've seen it implemented seem too processor intensive. Are there any ways to include one, to spruce up the plain background? (I had been thinking of using a table game-style backdrop, like on many gambling tables, that's close and the objects cast shadows onto it. Not sure how to implement that, either. LOL)

I was thinking of trying to put in an "in-studio" audience, for a TV gameshow feel.

Any other ideas? (And thanks for the Sync Rate note...)

zeroSlave
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2010 20:58
Quote: "I was hoping for a rotating parallax starfield in the background but the ways that I've seen it implemented seem too processor intensive. Are there any ways to include one, to spruce up the plain background?"

I'm not sure where, but I know there is a memblock tutorial around that makes a starfield that would probably not be very CPU demanding. I'm sure it could be used for this and at the same time, you would learn about memblocks. (I don't know much about them, but I do know that they can greatly increase performance.)

Also, if you are wanting something somewhat simple, you could layer about 3 or 4 or 5 planes with a Star field with an alpha mask and have SCROLL TEXTURE with different amounts on each one to have a parallax background.

As far as shadows, I know DPB can make them, but you may want to look into shaders for this. Also, you could use textured planes with an alpaha on them to make 'fake' shadows. Loads of games do this.

Quote: ""in-studio" audience, for a TV gameshow feel."
I think this could really be accomplished with some smart sound usage. ie "Clap clap clap", "Awwwwww", "*Whistles* and *cheers*!" maybe even some background chatter while you are playing.

Quote: "Any other ideas? (And thanks for the Sync Rate note...)"
No prob on Sync Rate, as far as other ideas, you should get the mechanics of the game down so it is playable, then spruce it up with effects and what not after. Make the engine, then polish it up with some tasty visuals and sounds!

WickedVixen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2010 16:10
After some thought, I decided to alter the title sequence.
I made it represent the name of the game, Tic Tac Two, but the "w" I used looked like an "e" (as pointed out by my fiancee), so I changed the letters a bit...

I am working on adding in some sounds, but not sure what to use where, though I do have a good idea. I'm going to try to add a crowd clap at the title screen, then when you press [SPACE] it fades, and begins the game.

I will upload the newer version today when I have some time.

WickedVixen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2010 04:41
Here we go!...

Attachments

WickedVixen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2010 00:01
Here's an update with a little backdrop and stuff...
Please let me know...

Anyway, here it is!

Attachments

WickedVixen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2010 05:14
I have updated it again...
There's an additional random backdrop that comes up after the screen resolution selection screen...

I have 8 different backgrounds: some of which I built, and other pics that other people built with POV-RAY for Windows and Mac.

I will be dropping another "demo" up.

Having problems with the Input loop... I want to use the Keypad and the keyboard numbers, the Q for 'Quit to Menu', P for 'Pause', and the F1 for Save Settings, F5 for Save Game, F10 for Load Game, F12 for Reset High Scores. All I need is a looping structure that grabs a single keypress-- I can deduce the rest...

The INPUT section of the ONLINE HELP does not really help...
Any suggestions?

BearCDP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2010 06:12 Edited at: 1st Sep 2010 06:13
Have you looked at the ScanCode() function? This chart may help.

Check out this WIP flash game from the Global Game Jam!
WickedVixen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2010 19:09
I have.
Couldn't get it to work...

I might me overlooking something. LOL

zapakitul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2010 21:52
^BearCDP that chart may be wrong. If I'm nost mistaken 17 was for W, 30 for A, 31 for S and 32 for D!
BearCDP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2010 23:59
Eek, you might be right! I didn't check it, just found the clearest one with the numpad included. I'm gonna give it a test after work.

Check out this WIP flash game from the Global Game Jam!
WickedVixen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2010 01:19
Thanks Zapakitul & BearCDP.
Please let me know... Thanks

WickedVixen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2010 21:48
I found this one and it seems to be a decent pic.
I hope this information is correct.

Attachments

WickedVixen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2010 22:59 Edited at: 7th Sep 2010 23:02
I'm having a problem with my game loop.
The computer keeps picking all of the diagonals and I never get to pick a space.

Can anyone assist me in fixing this?

This is what I'm using. Please help. The _WORDS are my "subroutines". Anything with FL_WORDS are flags.

[edit]
The 2 letter or letter-number combinations for the SELECT...CASE structure are placeholders for the SCANCODE() function; I've made a list of #CONSTANTs that these represent. Also, there are subroutines that I haven't fixed or created yet, so my code is in the SELECT...CASE structure.

WickedVixen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2010 02:14 Edited at: 23rd Sep 2010 02:53
This is the layout I'm implementing for this particular game.

I want to implement certain things:

Any suggestions?

[Edited! YAY!!! Finally figured out how to embed images in my posts!!! ]

WickedVixen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2010 23:28
I want to make the center board pieces be the "initials" of the player, when the player enters his/her initials.
Like this...

Just not quite sure how to implement it.

WickedVixen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2010 05:12
Still working and plugging away...
Testing some things that I wanted to include as a background image (notably a parallax scrolly nebula or something). LOL

Anyway, work progresses as I am off for "Christmas Break". YAY!!!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 04:28:55
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 04:28:55