Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Eternal Waking Demo

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2010 21:56
This is my current project, just thought i\'d throw it up here, see what comes of it. Some of the textures are slightly unfinished, i\'m mostly just putting it here for any current issues, i\'d rather sort them now than later when i think i have it all worked out.

I can see from your smile, you're not here for the sunset

Windows 7 64 bit, AMD Phenom II x4 Black edition, 4 GB Ram, Radeon HD 4650, 540 GB HDD

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2010 23:10
screenshot(s) and a little about it?

Virtual Nomad @ California, USA
AMD Phenomâ„¢ X4 9750 Quad-Core @ 2.4 GHz . 8 GB PC2-6400 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 3650 @ 512 MB . Vista Home Premium 64 Bit
Levanthus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2010 23:25
Sorry...
It's a first person, point&click style game, similar in a way to the likes of MYST.

Controls are simple, just like that of a first person shooter... more or less

Granted it looks a bit... grey? but the first part here is based in a hospital. The hospital in question i wanted to be overly clean and neat.

Windows 7 64 bit, AMD Phenom II x4 Black edition, 4 GB Ram, Radeon HD 4650, 540 GB HDD
Satchmo
Years of Service
User Offline
Very good looking. Did you make all the media yourself?

Levanthus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2010 23:35 Edited at: 20th Jul 2010 23:42
most of it, most of the textures are made using a digital camera, some are textures from dark matter, and some in photoshop.

The demo itself is actually pretty short, and ends very abruptly, i was just curious about any problems with other resolutions and setups and any problems with interface or anything else really, wanted to get it all sorted before i got so far in that it would be a pain to fix.

Heroefol
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2010 23:53
Looks alot like fpsc . Are you sure this is darkbasic?

Levanthus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2010 23:54 Edited at: 20th Jul 2010 23:56
Quote: "Looks alot like fpsc . Are you sure this is darkbasic?"

this was made in DB pro.. and yes i'm sure

not sure if i should be flattered or insulted by that

Heroefol
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2010 00:27
Hehe, i noticed that too when i saw the cursor and thinked a bit . Sorry about that.

Great work. I love point-and-click adventures . Downloading right now

Levanthus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2010 00:29
HEHE is ok

prasoc
Years of Service
User Offline
"Runtime error 1507 - Display using 32 bit is not supported by the available hardware at line 0"

what the hell?! how is my gfx card not able to support 32-bit :S :S

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2010 02:33
Prasoc, that error could come up if he's set the game's resolution with a 4:3 aspect ratio but your monitor is widescreen. I just found this out in my own project last night, I can support 1920x1200 but not 1600x1200, which it displayed the same error as you're seeing.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" ~ Arthur C. Clarke
Levanthus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2010 10:19 Edited at: 21st Jul 2010 10:21
i've set the game to automatically detect your desktop resolution... however i tested it on my laptop last night and i got the same error... and both my Desktop and laptop are widescreen... curious

prasoc
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm running it at 1366x768 (16:9). Maybe your desktop is 16:10 aspect ratio? Could you have an update that defaults to 640x480 but you have an options file that you can put what resolution you want in there?

Levanthus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2010 13:29
K i'll look into doing that, this is one of the main reasons i put this here. I thought just putting an automatic resolution checker would solve it, but apparently not.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2010 13:47
I have had issues with desktop width and height on my laptop too, in fact more than one laptop - I find that setting the resolution directly is fine, but if I try and use the desktop resolution it's never right on a laptop, but fine on a desktop.

Maybe better to have it check for the maximum resolution instead, by going through the display mode checklist, and store the mode with the largest foorprint - like width*height*depth for each one.

Health, Ammo, and bacon and eggs!
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2010 15:13
Very atmospheric and very promising! Looking forward to seeing this progress.

Just two small things:
1-You spelled "Jesus" wrong in the newspaper (Jusus)

2-I assume you meant to say "128 ways to get thinner..." in the magazine cover (the guy with the cats eyes on the front)

I notice silly things like grammar!

Levanthus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2010 16:33 Edited at: 21st Jul 2010 16:59
So i did!! DOH >.<

lol i can't even believe you were looking that closely at a tiny detail like that.

So currently my problem is mostly laptop resolutions...

i'm trying to make a resolution menu but i seem to be having problems with it, it just won't change the resolution no matter what i do with it.

and that guy with the cats eyes... that's me

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2010 20:58
I had a snippet that let a user set their own resolution via the "target" of a shortcut to the executable. Can't find it at the moment, but look at using the CLI command (i think that was it) and parse it.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" ~ Arthur C. Clarke
Levanthus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2010 00:57 Edited at: 22nd Jul 2010 01:17
Ok i've added in a resolution select screen, i HOPE it works.

*edit*
BAH i forgot to put in a Window on / off option >.<

Attachments

prasoc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2010 01:54 Edited at: 22nd Jul 2010 02:08
It works now ill test the game out and report if i get any errors

edit: ok some things here

- You can look right up and backward (same with down)
- The keyboard riddle was very well coded and the nice animation for the printer with the code on it (no idea what is was for; maybe it isnt implemented yet?)
- When I walked off into the black abyss I almost needed to get some toilet roll lol
- The chairs looks nice () and love the toilet humour: "TIME We are fuc-"
- The hex key kept spinning around until I pressed space by accident (maybe add like a little hud what tells you the buttons to press)
- When I went into the microscope (?) where the lab coat is from the left side of the table, my screen turned into a weird grey square (looks textured) and when I moved back and forth this 2d sprite moved up and down :S

this looks like a really good start to a game!

Levanthus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2010 02:08
Ah crappie, i just realised i didn't put an END to the demo so if you should end up in a dark elevator after the flashing lights... you'll have to escape out of it.... URGH such a noobie mistake...

prasoc
Years of Service
User Offline
I didnt notice an elevator? The abyss was the scary thing though read my last post edit to see what i noticed. no major bugs found

Randomness 128
Years of Service
User Offline
The problem with your resolution select screen at the moment is that it only features a small handful of resolutions. You need to use perform checklist for display modes to get a list of all the supported resolutions.

Windows 7 x64, Core i7 860, 8 GB DDR3 1333 RAM, Radeon HD 5850, 1.25 TB HDD capacity
Levanthus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2010 02:29 Edited at: 22nd Jul 2010 02:39
you didn't notice an elevator? Abyss?... how many rooms did you look around?

Quote: "When I went into the microscope (?) where the lab coat is from the left side of the table, my screen turned into a weird grey square (looks textured) and when I moved back and forth this 2d sprite moved up and down :S"

Yeah this is a known bug, it's got something to do with the collision going under the table or something, i'm still working on that... and it's an X-ray machine... yes it's dark and you can't see it well, but it's modelled after an image i found on t'internets

How exactly would one use that function? I looked it up earlier but couldn't figure out how to use it, the example given in the Help file was less than useless.

*edit* OH by abyss did you mean the dark corridor? yeah i spent ages working on that... did you walk all the way and get the voice thing??

and by elevator thing i mean if you find yourself here:-

you'll need to press escape to get out as there is nothing else there

Randomness 128
Years of Service
User Offline
I just took a look at the example for perform checklist for display modes in the help files and... wow... that's likely the most useless example of anything I've ever seen...

Maybe this will be more useful:

Windows 7 x64, Core i7 860, 8 GB DDR3 1333 RAM, Radeon HD 5850, 1.25 TB HDD capacity
Levanthus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2010 02:42
Ahh yes that is a bit more usefull... now i just gotta figure out how to use it in mah code, urgh i knew the resolution thing was gonna be a problem

swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2010 03:04 Edited at: 22nd Jul 2010 03:05
I exited came back and, well, see for yourself...

swis

Attachments

prasoc
Years of Service
User Offline
tbh, I kept going into the blackness ("<- Way out" on the board) and because I didnt think anything was down there I turned around and a creepy voice came out of my speakers so I went back pretty quickly lol ^_^

Dr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2010 03:16 Edited at: 22nd Jul 2010 03:17
Very nice media. The dark parts of the game are very dark though. I imagine you're using CShop or something. Basically there should be a little more ambient light I think.

Bit annoying how it keeps centring the mouse even when the game window is not in focus. I clicked to load the game, selected another window, and my mouse got stuck! If I didn't know how to use windows key, tab to get to the game window, i'd have had no recourse but to restart the computer.

Movement seemed a bit buggy. For instance after exiting the first door, I turned right and went down to the end of the corridor, and it kept switching between two places and I couldn't rotate.

Coloudn't suss out the computer puzzle, I tried to exit the computer screen with escape, and exited the whole program.

Anyway this is promising. Keep it up!
Levanthus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2010 11:41
ah the turning right out of the first door, yeah when you walk to the end of the hall it rotates you 180 degrees so you walk back the way you came, it was a test for the black hallway... for got to take it out thanks for reminding me.

Quote: "Very nice media. The dark parts of the game are very dark though. I imagine you're using CShop or something. Basically there should be a little more ambient light I think."

I'm using 3ds max and Darklights.

Quote: "Bit annoying how it keeps centring the mouse even when the game window is not in focus. I clicked to load the game, selected another window, and my mouse got stuck! If I didn't know how to use windows key, tab to get to the game window, i'd have had no recourse but to restart the computer."

I'll see what i can do about the mouse issue.

Quote: "Coloudn't suss out the computer puzzle, I tried to exit the computer screen with escape, and exited the whole program."

I hadn't considered escaping the puzzle... good point

And last of all the upside-down thing, i haven't quite figured out how to stop that yet, i'm sure there is a way, it is just eluding me right now

prasoc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2010 11:55 Edited at: 22nd Jul 2010 11:57
limit the x axis rotation of the camera. if it goes between 80-120, put it to 80, if it goes between 250-280, put it to 280. that is what I use for my fps.

edit: these are the values after I used "wrap value" on them (is that a function in dbpro? dgdk uses "dbWrapValue()")

Levanthus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2010 12:40
problem is, i'm not using wrapvalue.

prasoc
Years of Service
User Offline

You only need to use it for the checking of the rotation up and down

Levanthus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2010 14:54 Edited at: 25th Jul 2010 15:04
Ok here goes.

Fixes :-
* Spelling/grammar mistakes on Magazine Textures
* Vertical Camera rotation
The camera can no longer rotate 360 degrees on it's vertical axis
* Buggy movement at the end of the first hall
Test routine removed
* No Exit for computer puzzle
Esc button added to "keyboard" allowing exit from puzzle
* Stuck mouse pointer when game window not main focus
Added Commands to solve this problem
* Inventory Items Constant rotation in center of screen
Added commands to allow mouse click to dismiss object being displayed

Attachments

Link102
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2010 02:29 Edited at: 26th Jul 2010 11:24
wow, you need to optimize.
I've taken a peek in some of the media and a lot of models could use a poly reduction.

- The labcoat could just be 2 plains with a coat texture.
- The liftlock has to many polys on the inner cylinder, plus it has geometry on the back.
- The key object has WAY to many polys in the head, however this is just a hud object, so it's ok. But please do make it look more like a key.
- A lot of the rooms models have the object modeled inside them, I suggest having them in their own files and having your engine place them. Saves a bit of file size.
- Your lightmaps for the brokenlift, lift doors and the small ward need to be optimsed or maybe even merged.

Some general pointers:
- Rooms need to be loaded separately, I can tell where I need to go just by following the direction witch lags the most. So don't load all the rooms at creation time, but load them once the player has activated the door or is near one. (It's ok if you decide to ignore all these pointers, but please, don't ignore this one)
- The couches are nice, but you will never see them in a public hospital.
- The lights need to be fitted into the ceiling, not hanging from it, it breaks the realism.
- for the actual amount and type of light fixtures it's WAY to dark. Plus, don't use point lights, use spotlights and ad just a little bit of color, I would suggest blue for the normal parts or green for the sick/scary parts. If you really want to go overboard, you should use a tiny bit of ambient occlusion.
- Some of the rooms don't have light fixtures, but do have light. The kitchen room in an example of this.
- Some of the textures in the hallway are stretched. The ceiling texture don't always match in size.
- the numberpad on the microwave is mirrored.
- the newspaper says June 2010, but the time magazine says November 2000

You've done a great job so far, I hope that these pointers are useful to you.

Levanthus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2010 10:51 Edited at: 26th Jul 2010 10:54
well...

I'm not entirely sure how to optimise my Lightmaps to be honest as i'm using Darklights and they are automatically generated, i figured they would be optimised already....

why make my hex-key look more like a key? it's a puzzle... you have to figure it out, there are keys similar to that for opening my till at work

Yes rooms do need to be loaded seperatley, i'm still working on that.

we have "couches" like that in our local hospital

i know some rooms don't have lights, they were low priority rooms.

yes i keep meaning to solve the microwave mirrored numpad... keep forgetting, but it's in a low priority room.

who's to say it's not an old magazine? i've been to hospitals with magazines from like 6 years ago

Link102
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2010 11:31 Edited at: 26th Jul 2010 11:31
Quote: "I'm not entirely sure how to optimise my Lightmaps to be honest as i'm using Darklights and they are automatically generated, i figured they would be optimised already...."

I wish I could help with the light. I'll import the models into blender, try to make something and see if you like it, but don't expect anything.

Quote: "why make my hex-key look more like a key? it's a puzzle... you have to figure it out, there are keys similar to that for opening my till at work"

oh, my bad, I thought that part of the key was a low poly cylinder.

Levanthus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2010 11:51
Quote: "oh, my bad, I thought that part of the key was a low poly cylinder."

well... technically it is... I was planning to put in descriptions at a later time for the objects so people would know it's a Hexagonal key.

Irradic
Years of Service
User Offline
I read you are using 3ds Max, try looking for a tutorial for indoor global illumination and light mapping. The difference will be huge.
Anyway, great job so far !

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 08:34:50
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 08:34:50