Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Orbital Assault - WIP

Author
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2010 18:26 Edited at: 25th Aug 2010 15:41
Hi,

Dispite having been programming for quite awhile and having made various mods to FPSC. I haven't really bothered making anything complete in DBP. This is my attempt at changing that. It's really just a Space Invaders game with a few bells and is being written mainly as a learning experience for me to improve my understaning of DBP.

Comments are welcome.

Image attached and download is http://www.mediafire.com/?w6rqmij7qlvg47a

Attachments

Login to view attachments
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2010 00:06
This is shaping up to be a very addictive Space Invaders clone. I like the movement and models. The sound effects etc. all work too.

I only have one minor critisism which is that the enemy bullet speed was massively inconsistant which (if done on purpose) does not make sense.

Other than that it looks great! What did you use to make the installer BTW?

Dr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2010 03:47
Nice. This has some cool stuff in it. I like the asteroid field interludes. Has some slowdown in places. I guess where you're deleting or creating objects during the game. The graphics would improve a lot if you changed the background image. It is quite low res and has obvious compression artifacts. Also installers grind my gears.
Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2010 11:49 Edited at: 6th Aug 2010 11:49
Quote: "I only have one minor critisism which is that the enemy bullet speed was massively inconsistant which (if done on purpose) does not make sense."

It seems ok on my system, but I'm using a timer based system to control movement smoothly, this could well be the issue. I'll have to give it a go on a couple of other machines. Is it just the bullet speed or does the game appear jerky?

Quote: "What did you use to make the installer BTW?"

I can't remember off the top of my head and not on my normal machine. I think it's called Advanced Installer.

Quote: "Has some slowdown in places"

Again, I think the timer needs tweaking, but I am working on that.

Quote: "The graphics would improve a lot if you changed the background image"

I agree, it's temporary.

Quote: "Also installers grind my gears"

Are you a fan of Family Guy by any chance? A personal choice, I find that many people prefer them but I understand some don't.

If anyone else has any comments more are always welcome.
charger bandit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2010 19:53
Awesome clone! I see a great use of Cosmic Prophets scifi pack,his spaceships and generators as enemies,genious.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2010 10:37
Quote: "It seems ok on my system, but I'm using a timer based system to control movement smoothly, this could well be the issue. I'll have to give it a go on a couple of other machines. Is it just the bullet speed or does the game appear jerky?"

It's an odd bug, the bullets seem to slow down and speed up quite jerkily while everything else moves normally. Sometimes the bullets are almost not moving while others they seem fine.

Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Awesome clone! I see a great use of Cosmic Prophets scifi pack,his spaceships and generators as enemies,genious."

I thought it would be nice to use these excellent models outside of FPSC just to show how versitile they are... And I'm glad you like it, I'll be doing some more work in the next few days to improve this a little.

Quote: "It's an odd bug, the bullets seem to slow down and speed up quite jerkily while everything else moves normally. Sometimes the bullets are almost not moving while others they seem fine."

I can't replicate this, does anyone else have this issue please? The bullets are created when needed, I imagine this might be a problem on some systems. I might try pre-generating them.

BTW - what are your system specs?
Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2010 03:24
Quote: "The bullets are created when needed"

I'd suggest you pre-generate them and put the IDs in an array and then loop through that as bullets are needed. Creating objects on the fly is generally not a good idea(especially in DBPro).

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2010 10:44
Quote: "I'd suggest you pre-generate them and put the IDs in an array and then loop through that as bullets are needed. Creating objects on the fly is generally not a good idea(especially in DBPro)."

That's good advice but not what's causing this problem. Only the bullets themselves change in speed, I'd suggest looking at the code for moving the bullets.

Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I'd suggest you pre-generate them and put the IDs in an array and then loop through that as bullets are needed. Creating objects on the fly is generally not a good idea(especially in DBPro)."

I agree and have done this and will be updating the project in a few days.

Quote: "That's good advice but not what's causing this problem. Only the bullets themselves change in speed, I'd suggest looking at the code for moving the bullets."

Sorry, I really can't replicate this issue. Would you please let me know you system specs.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2010 15:50
Quote: "Sorry, I really can't replicate this issue. Would you please let me know you system specs. "

Will do when I get home tonight. I don't know them off by heart and my memory is not what it once was!

Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2010 21:52
Specs:

The bullets seem to slow down the most when there are a lot of them on the screen. Starts to slow down when there are over 8 and they really slows down when there are 15+ on the screen.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2010 10:34 Edited at: 11th Aug 2010 10:35
My Spec:

(Same issue exactly)

Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
@Dar13 & @Baxslash.

Odd... Both your machines are of a higher spec than mine and I'm not experincing this. I think the issue must be with the timer code I've used. I'll have a look at this and see if I can find/fix the problem.

Am I right in saying that it's only the bullets that are slowing down?
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2010 12:42
Quote: "Am I right in saying that it's only the bullets that are slowing down?"

Yes and I think it was only the enemy bullets...

Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi,

Okay, the update took a little longer than expected as real life keeps getting in the way.

http://www.mediafire.com/?w6rqmij7qlvg47a

This should hopefully fix the strange issue with alien bullets.
Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
*Bump*

Can anyone tell me if this has solved the speed issue with the alien bullets please?
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2010 12:12
I just tried it and yes it seems fine now but I'll try it at home too to make sure tonight!

Looking good by the way!!

Sorry I forgot to check it earlier I've been a bit pre-occupied with my Intel Competition entry...

Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for looking @baxslash. Updates have again been slow as I've been out of the country and currently have limited internet access, but will hopefully have further improvements by early next week.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 00:48:17
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 00:48:17