Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Game Design Theory / Audio-based Game(s)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2010 10:58 Edited at: 5th Aug 2010 13:41
Being a fan of Text-based games, I started looking into the development of a interactive audio text adventure that uses recorded voice/voice synthesis/music/sound fx, and voice recognition for command input. The original idea was to create a immersive interactive experience through true verbal storytelling without the use of any animated graphics, or keyboards/mouse.

I've pondered over this concept in the past, but, the desire to actually develop such game was solidified this weekend after listening to 16 hrs of Stephen King's Under the Dome, Read by Raul Esparza. Google Re-search has lead to me sites like:

http://www.voxforge.org/home
http://www.audiogames.net/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_game
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_Sound:_Kaze_no_Regret
http://www.cs.unc.edu/Research/assist/et/2005/SoundsLikeFun.html
http://www.audiogamemaker.com/

I'm also researching various methods of audio input/output as I own a pair of eDimensions Audio FX headphones. I would be interested in any discussion on this topic.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2010 17:32
I'm looking into speech recognition at work - operators using microscopes, going back and forth to a PC, so we want them to just speak the information, and it'll parse it and store it in a database. Will probably save a lot of time.

There was a blind guy on the forum, coding in DBPro while blind, pretty scary stuff - no idea how that went though. I did make a little example for him - a forest, with a little river etc, worked out pretty well. I think I ended up adding to the 3D sound in DBPro, using a multiplier thing so that the range of a sound can be controlled. I'll see if I can find it and post it up here - it was very cool, like the start of a text adventure.

There's actually a strong market for these things, and you'd be amazed how much support you can muster for a game that benefits disabled people.

Health, Ammo, and bacon and eggs!
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2010 21:26 Edited at: 4th Aug 2010 21:33
Quote: "There's actually a strong market for these things, and you'd be amazed how much support you can muster for a game that benefits disabled people."

Van B,

My ultimate goal was to create a eye/hands-free interactive adventure for mobile devices, going beyond the typical requirements hand/eye coordination and stimulating more powerful imagery of the mind's eye. I didn't realize the potential for the visually impaired market until I started to dig deeper for interactive audio adventures and games. This discovery has fueled my interest even further and I'm seeking out methods to support multi-player.

Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2010 03:02
Am I right in thinking that this would essentially be a text adventure, but where the text is read aloud to the player, and sound effects and music cues are used to enhance the experience?

I think this could work well. It's difficult to make completely realistic 3D graphical environments but audio can be both more immersive and less difficult. Let's say you want to make a forest in a 3D game: you make the skybox, model lots of trees, sculpt the terrain, add bloom etc. For an audio game, all you need is to leave a microphone in a forest and voila, you have an instant 100% realistic audio forest.

Secretary of Unknowable Knowledge for the Rock/Dink administration '08
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2010 14:18 Edited at: 5th Aug 2010 14:33
Quote: "Am I right in thinking that this would essentially be a text adventure, but where the text is read aloud to the player, and sound effects and music cues are used to enhance the experience?"
Yes. Some of the most immersive games that I've played were text-based, simply because you can describe in text a physical world that effects all senses not just sight. I believe the adage "A picture is worth a thousand words" has mislead many game developers, which a great majority are obsessed with graphics.

`As the Chinese say, 1001 words is worth more than a picture. - John McCarthy, Computer Scientist`

Devonps
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2010 16:03
One of the products we use at work is Dragon Naturally Speaking which may be of some use as reference material for you guys.

Marriage is a circle of rings....
Engagement ring, Wedding ring, Suffering!
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2010 22:48
Quote: "One of the products we use at work is Dragon Naturally Speaking which may be of some use as reference material for you guys."

Microsoft also has a FREE SDK.

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2010 08:10
Quote: "For an audio game, all you need is to leave a microphone in a forest and voila, you have an instant 100% realistic audio forest."

Yes, and if you leave it in a bustling city you get commotion capture, bahahaha, you could write a book with all the terrible jokes on this forum.

This sounds like a great idea. While sound is easier to generate it is hard to record properly, I think that will be the most difficult part of this project.
Good luck with it TechLord.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 01:11:50
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 01:11:50