Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Work In Progress / [LOCKED] [x9] Seclusion WIP

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2011 05:16
Just a quick bump to let people know this isn't dead!

mgarand
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2011 13:19
your posting too much in a row, just edit your old post

bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2011 17:29
And how would an edit bring it to the forum's attention? That's the whole point of a 'bump'.

mgarand
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2011 20:12
by adding screenshots, videos and wait.

bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2011 20:31
And in the meantime it gets pushed further and further down the page by all the guff that's been appearing in the WIP section lately.

Thanks for the input, but until a mod tells me to cease and desist, I'll continue to 'bump' every now and then. Besides, it's not like I bump it every other day, the last post before I bumped it was on the 12th December.

Nbt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2011 18:04
bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2011 19:36 Edited at: 6th Jan 2011 19:37
lol @ nbt, I can always rely on you to lighten the moment!! BTW, how's things, haven't seen you around much lately?

Oops, now I'm going to get flamed for messaging lol

I used to be bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Some info from bruce3371, I've had to set up this 2nd account because I think my main account (bruce3371) got hacked after my PC picked up a virus.

I can no longer access my bruce3371 forum profile from that account as it seems to have been removed somehow, and, as far as I know, I haven't earnt a ban of any sort!!

I've contacted a MOD to try to shed some light on the situation, so, until I can get my other forum profile back up and running, I'll be using this one!
The Storyteller 01
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2011 02:46
Quote: "I think my main account (bruce3371) got hacked after my PC picked up a virus."

Hm....I just hope the virus didn't pick out your 15-level game and destroyed it...

In case you find my grammar and spelling weird ---> native German speaker ^^
bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2011 18:27 Edited at: 20th Feb 2011 18:29
lol, it was just me having a blonde moment! Although the virus was genuine, the 'hacking' was purely a mistake on my part.

Oh, and BTW, this is not a 'screenshot-only' WIP I am currently waiting on the final release of 1.18 as it is utterly pointless releasing my 5 shareware levels using un unstable beta engine. I'm well aware that some forumites have previously used dead computers, or viruses as an excuse for stopping development of, and/or giving up on, their games, however I'm not one of them.

The remainder of the 15 levels are still at an early stage of development, so it's pointless posting screenshots of them.

As I've said countless times in the past, this WIP is not dead, it is still actively being worked on, and will continue to be worked on until completion.

The Storyteller 01
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2011 18:30 Edited at: 20th Feb 2011 18:31
Quote: "I'm well aware that some forumites have previously used dead computers, or viruses as an excuse for stopping development of, and/or giving up on, their games"

There are also a lot of dead WIP threads from developers, who are still waiting for a "stable" FPSC engine

bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2011 18:37
So you think it's acceptable to release a game using an unstable beta version?

I don't, and, therefore won't!

You can lump me in with the rest of 'em if you want, but I'll have the last laugh when I'm proven right and my game is released!!

The Storyteller 01
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2011 20:38
Quote: "So you think it's acceptable to release a game using an unstable beta version?"

No.

But I think it's even more unacceptable to continously feed a thread with screenshots or simply bump it just to avoid getting it (your quote: pushed further and further down the page by all the guff that's been appearing in the WIP section lately" (which you are the first one to do on this board)if you aren't able to make a stable build.

You call other WIPs guff???

But please, make it work! Ican't wait to review your shareware release

bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2011 22:33
Quote: "continously feed a thread with screenshots"

Sorry, I must be on another planet to the rest of you then, because I thought the idea of a WIP board was to show progress, and in order to show progress, one shows screenshots!!

Quote: "You call other WIPs guff???"

Yes, because, after all, we are all entitled to our opinions, and IMO a lot of the WIPS on here are Guff!!

Quote: "which you are the first one to do on this board"

I like to be a pioneer

Quote: "if you aren't able to make a stable build"

Do, please, give me the benefit of your expertise and tell me how to make a game from an unstable beta version of an engine.

TBH I thought it was common sense to release a game that uses a stable engine, that way, as many bugs as possible are eliminated from a game before release. Then, when a game is released, any remaining bugs that are found, are due to mistakes or problems in the game's development.

I'll finish by quoting something I said in Anayar's free media thread;

Quote: "Seclusion is still currently waiting for full releases of FPSC 1.18 and WASP mod. Don't worry it's most definately NOT abandoned!

I just don't want to release it with potentially unstable beta versions of the engine and mod; I'd far rather wait for any bugs to be ironed out, so that there are fewer bugs to iron out in the finished game itself!

I'd also rather be in a position to release something that I can be proud of, rather than just release something that looks like it's been rushed, just so that I can say "Look everyone, I've released a game, aren't I clever" lol

I may not be a professional game developer, but that doesn't mean I can't strive to be professional in the way I go about game development!"

That should, hopefully, provide a better worded/phrased explanation as to why I'm waiting for 1.18 final, before I release my game.

anayar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2011 04:54 Edited at: 21st Feb 2011 04:55
Hey Bruce,

Good to hear that Seclusion isnt dead! Really looking forward to playing it (though I have numerous other commitments here in the forums itself, Seclusion takes priority on my list )

If you have any new screens (that you havent posted), id love to see 'em either here or you can send them to me. And again, as I have said numerous times before, if you need anything at all "you have my email "

Good luck and Godspeed(to the release of the stable build),
Anayar

@Storyteller: I respect you for the way you honestly tell people theyre mistakes and give them crits. More often than not people tend to sweeten their words in consideration of others feelings... its refreshing to see someone who tells it as it is!

Note: ^^ The above comment is not referring to you Bruce, but to numerous other W.I.P's... this has nothing to do with Storyteller's comment in this thread (which I dont exactly agree with)

For KeithC
Zealot Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2011 11:58
All this looks very good. Can't wait to play the shareware. Your level design is great, but I want to see how well the combat pans out. You need a good mix of atmosphere and gameplay.

I despise emoticons.
bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2011 13:59 Edited at: 21st Feb 2011 14:00
@ Anayar, thanks. I'm just in the process of taking some new screenshots. So far I've done sets for levels 1 & 2. As soon as I've done a set each for the other 3 levels, I'll post the highlights here and send you a full set!

No worries, I didn't think those comments were aimed at me anyway

@ Zealot Studios, thanks. I've tried to incorporate a mixture of atmosphere, combat, exploration and puzzle type gameplay. My only worry, now that you mention it, is that I've spent too much time on the level geometry and not enough on gameplay. Oh well, we shall have to see once I have the stable build and the shareware levels are released!

bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2011 01:30 Edited at: 7th May 2011 20:34
It's aliiiive, but having teething problems!

I can't get my 'smallfire' decals to work I'm using 1.18.14 and the decalparticle.fpi. I've tried fiddling with all the x,y,z settings and have it set to 'custom settings', but I only get sound and no flames.

I can get smoke working for my chimney with no problems, but I just can't get the flame decals working, any ideas?

This is really frustrating, I've come so far with my game, to the point where I'm very close to passing it on to my play testers, but I can't until I get all the little teething problems sorted.

I would really appreciate any help with this, thanks a lot in advance

NVM, after a lot of fiddling around, and help from a number of people (wolf, rolfy and scene commander), I found the problem. It was caused by the 'repeatsound' script of the fire and steam decals, I had to add 'runfpidefault=1' to the end of the 1st line of the script

bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2011 19:35 Edited at: 26th Jun 2011 02:50
Quick update and (shock, horror), new screenie!!

I've sorted almost all the niggling little problems I've had and have now been able to concentrate on things like the hud and menus at long last!

The new menu I've made fits in with the theme of the game, in particular, you may have noticed that it uses a texture from the medical scanner made by Anayar for level 2 (which is now level 3, after I had to split level 1 in half to cut the polys!).

Here is a screenie of the current version of main menu;

Ignore the quality of the image, that's the screen capture software that I use.

There's a strong chance that this version of the menu will be changed, so I'll post a new screenie if it does.

In the meantime, what do people think of the menu?

[Edit]Yeah, I'm aware that the colour of the cursor doesn't match, I'm working on that right now![/edit]

[2nd Edit]Just found a new cursor to use (thanks to Shadow heart), and have completed a succesfull build! The game has now been passed on to my play testers, before being released [/2nd Edit]

anayar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2011 12:06
Well, I guess its my job to let everyone know that this project is active and well Bruce is doing a lot of finishing touches and the play-tester (hopefully) are going to receive a beta version soon (Bruce... hint, hint).

Anyways, for those that dont believe me take a look:
Last Month

This month

So... hopefully you guys give this project a bit more attention and end poor Bruce's triple posting spree

@Bruce: The menu buttons are looking great... Just got to tweak a bunch of stuff. Ill post a screenshot when thats done

Cheers,
Anayar

For KeithC
bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2011 16:16 Edited at: 1st Aug 2011 16:19
Thanks Anayar! I was getting a bit frustrated with the lack of interest in my game. Maybe it's because it's not a modern warfare or zombie/horror game? lol

@Everyone else - the game has certainly come alive since Anayar has kindly agreed to work on the Menu and other 2D Art for me. I feel like it is finally starting to come together, and it won't be long now until the shareware levels are play tested then released

Once that's done, I can then make a serious start on the full version of the game. I've already made some plans for the full game, and I'm quite excited about it! There will be some good puzzles as well as exploration, story-telling and combat.

The plot is getting fleshed out more, and will include a bit of a twist right at the end of the game. Obviously I can't say too much about that at this stage!

Anyway, this game has taken just over a year to get this far, and although I haven't always kept this thread up to date, I'm still working on it, and will continue to do so. As Anayar said, it's far from being dead!

Butt monkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2011 13:40
Quote: "Thanks Anayar! I was getting a bit frustrated with the lack of interest in my game. Maybe it's because it's not a modern warfare or zombie/horror game? lol"

I think it's more because the thread was on hiatus for a good while. While it's back now, the only new screenshot has been of a menu. While yes, the WIP forum isn't all about screens, it's a fact of life - people like visual references, whether it be a video, screens or any other media form. I think if you post some new images or gameplay videos, you'll start getting interest again.
bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2011 15:25
Fair comment, however, even when I have posted screenies or videos, I've had very little feedback, apart from the same 2 or 3 people who have commented right from the start. The game hasn't really been on hiatus, I've been steadily working on it, adding the final touches to turn it into a playable game.

Admittedly I have made quite a few changes (albeit minor ones), to some of the levels, mostly just little cosmetic changes here and there, with one or two slight gameplay changes.

Having said that, I need to weigh up the pros and cons of showing any new screenshots. Although there has been some changes made, they're only minor changes, and aren't really worth taking screenshots of. Also, I run the risk of showing too much of my game and giving away the plot/story.

I've had this discussion elsewhere on the forums, about showing too much in screenshots.

However, if it's screenshots people really want, here is a couple of shots of some custom models I've made for the game;

The first shot is a satellite communications dish I made for the 1st level. The 2nd shot is an old style cast iron radiator I made for the interior of the mansion. I've been learning how to model with Milkshape, courtesy of some very usefull tutoring and plenty of encouragement from Anayar.

bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2011 19:48 Edited at: 22nd Aug 2011 20:06
Quick update, and a little something for you all to play!

Here's the training level that I've been working on;

Training Level

It's a standalone level, but will be fully incorporated into Seclusion when I eventually release it.

It took me a little longer to work on than I thought it would, because I decided to remove all HUD prompts for doors and switches etc. I've also done this with the game itself.

Now, the only HUD messages that show up are instructions for each 'lesson' in the training level.

C&C are welcome, I'm particularly interested in what people think about the flow of the lessons, if they're in the right order, and if the instructions make sense.

BTW the HUD for the standalone training level, bears no relationship with the HUD that wil be used in the game proper.

anayar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2011 21:15
Wow... so tell me why this isnt at the TOP OF THE _____________ PAGE ??

LOL, anyways, Ill give it a DL and let you know what I think! Im really happy to see you havent given up on the game (though I know you wouldnt do that )

Cheers,
Anayar

For KeithC
bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2011 01:53 Edited at: 25th Aug 2011 01:56
Thanks Anayar! I'm getting really close to getting the game re-built for testing again.

I've just been writing the scripts that make the transition from the training level to the game proper make more sense. Now at the end of the training level, the armour and weapons are all reset so that you start from scratch in the 1st proper level.

I've also eliminated the horrible 'Lives' HUD element because FPS games don't tend to use Lives anymore. Now, instead of giving you mulitple lives, when you die the game just automatically loads the last checkpoint.

I've also decided to post a few screenshots to give people an idea of how much the game has changed since I last posted shots (and also to try and regain some interest in the WIP!).

These screenshots will also be used as the game's Level Loading Screens. Hopefully, they'll also give an idea of what can be achieved using a mix of stock and custom media.

With a bit of luck, this will be the last update before the shareware game is released (famous last words lol).

anayar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2011 09:42
errrm.... I like my loading screens better

I mean, the edited versions of these screenies

Cheers,
Anayar

For KeithC
bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2011 19:37 Edited at: 26th Aug 2011 21:53
Yeah, these are just the background images without your artwork, obviously I am still using your menus. I just need to hold some stuff back when showing off my progress, or where would the surprise be? lol

Again, I'm having to strike a balance between showing screenshots to keep people interested, and not showing too much and spoiling the surprise when the game is released.

Unfortunately, it would seem that I've failed to keep people interested, as you're still just about the only one commenting :s

bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2011 21:55 Edited at: 26th Aug 2011 21:56
Quick double post ( ) !

I've just made a website for my game, it can be found by clicking on the 'WEB' button beneath my posts, or by clicking here.

Butt monkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2011 23:21
It's looking better than it did - especially the first two screens, however the lab screen is a little too bloomy - It's quite tough on the eyes. I wouldn't like to play through a level where all the lights are that harsh.
bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2011 03:27
Thanks! TBH the science level is the one that's been most difficult to get the lighting right in. I want it to have that bright, white laborotory feel to it, but I've probably over done it a bit!

The level's ambient lighting is ok, so maybe I'll reduce the radius of the light markers in front of the light fittings, or change the markers' colours to grey or something?

bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2011 02:39
Quick update, after a lot of tweaking, fiddling, adding things and taking things away, I'm finally in a postion to try another build lol

I've got to say that making levels look nice and play well, is a lot easier than getting the game to a playable, distributable state! In fact, the tweaking and fixing stage has taken a lot longer than the game design and development stage!

But, hopefully, I'm finally in a position where I can say that the shareware levels are finished, and that, bar any other unexpected bugs that might crop up, I can finally send the game to my playtesters.

Yes, I know I've said that plenty of times before, but this time, I'm feeling quietly confident!

To be honest, the bugs that have plagued me during the game's development, have largely been my own fault. Very few have been due to any problems with FPSC itself.

bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2011 00:05 Edited at: 10th Nov 2011 01:23
Can a MOD lock this please; due to recent developments, I'm having to do a major re-work of Seclusion. By the time I'm finished it will probably be a completely different game.

Thanks to everyone who showed interest in the game, and thanks to all who helped and supported me.

anayar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2011 00:42
Quote: "Can a MOD lock this please; due to recent developments, I'm having to do a major re-work of Seclusion. By the time I'm finished it will probably be a completely different game."

Cheers,
Anayar

For KeithC
bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2011 17:05
MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT

Seclusion in its current form is now cancelled. I have sent an email to Keithc, requesting that he lock this thread.

I may, or may not, revive the game in the future, but it will be substantially different, and therefore will require a new WIP thread.

However, I haven't yet decided wether or not I will be reviving the game.

Thanks to everyone who showed interest and who supported me during the development of Seclusion.

My efforts are now aimed towards continuing to learn 3d modelling. In fact, I have a model pack in the works, which will have a heavy industry/oil refinery theme.

I'll create a WIP thread in the relevant board, once I have something substantial to show.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 08:47:53
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 08:47:53