Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Graphics Question.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey there everybody. Lately I've been working on a game, and when I finish the graphics and save them they look great! My problem seems to be that when I load them into the game, the look pixely and low quality. Does anyone seem to have this same problem? Any suggestions?

Thanks in Advanced!

Learning C++
Proud member of www.codecall.com
Hassan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2010 01:30 Edited at: 6th Aug 2010 01:32
enable antialiasing and you will have better results, instead of dbSetDisplayMode, use dbSetDisplayModeAntialias, also you will need latest GDK update from the sticky on this board, note that after you download the attachment of the first post, you will need to scroll down to find the new patch which fixes some rendering problems

also note that antialiasing creates really massive lag on most mid-rate computers, as it's very heavy, you should make an option to choose whether enable or disable it, so low-rate computers can also run your apps

Mireben
Years of Service
User Offline
Are you talking about 2D images for sprites or 3D? If 2D, then try to load the images with texture flag 1 to preserve their quality. From the help:

TeenCHristian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2010 15:52 Edited at: 6th Aug 2010 16:01
@Hassan: thats sounds like a great idea! The problem I have is that I'm not the most experienced one when it comes to installing updates. I basically have both files (the update 7.4a and the august 2009 patch) and they are both sitting in my downloads file. What exactly to I do to get them working with the Dark GDK. A quick tutorial/link would be great

@Mireben I am talking 2d sprites, yes. So basically I would just do something like this:

Thanks for the help, Its extremely appreciated!

EDIT: I just used the

And The graphics are spot on! Thank you so much

EDIT 2: I noticed that once my backgrounds go over a certain amount in pixels in width the program compresses my background to fit a certain amount. Does anyone know how long a background can be (in pixels) before the game compresses the background? Thanks again!

Learning C++
Hassan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2010 18:04
you just replace your headers and libs with the downloaded ones, gdk include directory//include// <- place the .h files here and //lib//vs9// <- put the .lib files here

sorry if there are some mistakes in the path(s), but you can figure it out anyway

TeenCHristian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2010 20:02 Edited at: 6th Aug 2010 20:18
I just replaced all of the files. I think I did a find job. Just as a side note I have discovered the maximum (or near maximum)width of a backdrop before the Dark GDK distorts it. 2000 pixels should it.

Also is there a way to use a texture flag on an animated sprite? Thanks again!

EDIT: I got this error:

Error 1 fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'atlsd.lib' Hot Air Balloon

When trying to compile my program after replacing files. What seems to be the problem?

Learning C++
Hassan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2010 00:11
TeenCHristian
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok, I changed the runtime library to the "(/MT)" in both the properties of main.cpp and the main project. "atls, msvcrt" where already on the ignore list, and the subsystem was already windows. I seem to still be getting the error. What do you think it wrong?

Learning C++

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-02 07:27:39
Your offset time is: 2024-10-02 07:27:39