Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / RND Sprint - High-Speed Randomly Generated Neverending Platformer

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2010 23:35 Edited at: 13th Aug 2010 20:35
Hi all,

I've recently been working on a way to use multiple fullscreen shaders at the same time, and upon figuring it out I decided to try it in real-time. So I made a small game in about a week to test out the shaders, and it became this fast paced platformer. It now features lots of sound effects, high speed gameplay, a randomly-generated neverending level and a high score. See if you can beat my "benchmark" score. If you beat it a "HiScore Proof.jpg" picture will be created by the EXE, which you can then post up here to show how amazing you are . If you want to reset the hi-score, then just delete the "Hiscore.dat" file.

Here is a screenshot:

Anyway, my hi-score (I got it before I made the proof function) is about 18,443. See if you can beat it!

Last Update: August 13, 2010 <--Make sure you are downloading the latest version!

Game download is here: (11.2MB). The one attached to this post is old.

Here's a copy of the readme, it contains the controls and credits.

Guns, cinematics, stealth, items and more!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2010 23:38
Uploading screenshot...

Attachments

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2010 00:27
Wow that's addicting . I started typing this post and then went back and played for another half hour before finishing it .

Despite this, I simply cannot get over 6,000 points. Also, I had to turn off all the shaders to get the framerate high enough to play properly.

Oddly, I found it about as effective to simply turn the speed all the way up, point the character in the general direction of the path, and jump more or less at random as to actually play the game

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2010 00:45 Edited at: 11th Aug 2010 01:03
@BMacZero: Thanks for trying it out

Quote: "Wow that's addicting . I started typing this post and then went back and played for another half hour before finishing it ."

That's good, I'm guilty of the same thing

Quote: "Despite this, I simply cannot get over 6,000 points. Also, I had to turn off all the shaders to get the framerate high enough to play properly."

Hmmm, maybe I should make the benchmark score a little lower then , I must've just gotten really used to the gameplay. I'll lower it if others are having the same problem. As for the shaders, I guess it depends on the computer, it runs at 30-60fps over here. I'll have to add the option to turn them off wherever I decide to use them; thanks for the heads up. If you're still getting a low framerate though then try lowering the resolution.

Quote: "Oddly, I found it about as effective to simply turn the speed all the way up, point the character in the general direction of the path, and jump more or less at random as to actually play the game "

You found my secret

swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow this was fun! (My framerate never dropped, everything maxed out) I think the benchmark score is fine (sorry BMacZero), because it took a couple tries to beat, but wasn't imposible. I figuired you would use motion blur for this, but you don't appear to have (according to the readme), maybe that would be too confusing. Anyway great job!

swis
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2010 03:48 Edited at: 16th Aug 2010 02:13
Well, I beat it but I cheated, lol.

I think maybe your validation picture figured this out:
EDIT: image no longer needed

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2010 03:49 Edited at: 11th Aug 2010 03:53
@swissolo: Thanks for playing!

Quote: "Wow this was fun! (My framerate never dropped, everything maxed out) "

Thanks, that's good to hear

Quote: "I think the benchmark score is fine (sorry BMacZero), because it took a couple tries to beat, but wasn't imposible. "

Haha okay, I'll keep it the same for now and see what more people have to say.

Quote: "I figuired you would use motion blur for this, but you don't appear to have (according to the readme), maybe that would be too confusing."

The motion blur isn't super-present in the game, but it's a part of the Post Bloom, Soft Shadows and Depth of Field shaders. Sorry if that was unclear, the blur really evident in the screenshot but where it's coming from isn't obvious

EDIT:
@BMacZero: Sorry, I had started typing my post before I saw yours. Hahahaha the picture didn't work for you? That's strange, it works over here. It probably has to do with using shaders or not. I'll test/edit it tonight or tomorrow and post the new version. But you're probably right about it seeing you cheating. What was your final score?

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2010 03:56
9751 here .

swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
I did think it looked like there was motion blur. Actually, I tried going at max speed always jumping, and I got 14,056. I'll try to beat the highscore now.

swis
Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2010 18:34 Edited at: 11th Aug 2010 18:38
@BMacZero: Nice, whatever works

@swissolo: Nice score! You've almost caught me ...

By the way, I fixed the hi-score screenshot issue (it was a lot more difficult than it should have been ). I'm updating the first post now.

EDIT: Updated!

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2010 20:10
This looks awesome, I'll see if I can have a wee play with it when I get a moment later.

Bran flakes91093
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2010 20:25
Great game, it's really addicting!

A couple of times the buildings actually spawned in the way

My high score so far is 14,439

“C++ : Where friends have access to your private members.”
-Gavin Russell Baker

Attachments

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2010 23:19
That was a really awesome and pleasant experience with all of the shaders What would make it even more awesome would be a relief mapping shader

My score sucks, so I will go and player some more now

TheComet

spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2010 23:57
Can't play

Says I need MSVCP71.dll which I understand is some sort of C runtime file that windows 7 does not have as standard. Looks like quite a common problem for Win7 programs. I might try downloading the dll manually but suggestions on the net that there are dodgy versions of that dll on some download sites that do bad things.

Boo!
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2010 00:02
Really cool, make sure you read your email. I know you don't check the one you have listed here much. Opportunity afoot!

Bran flakes91093
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2010 04:17
Uhm... Beat this!

33,031 - Proof attached

Absolutely no cheating. (no running on top of the buildings)

-Gavin Russell Baker

Attachments

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2010 20:35 Edited at: 12th Aug 2010 20:38
@C0wbox: Thanks, let me know how you do

@TheComet: Thanks . I hadn't thought about relief mapping. That shader uses a normal map and a heightmap, right? Maybe I'll go back and add it for fun later on

@spooky: . Unfortunately I don't have Windows 7 so I can't test it there. Right now I'm actually away from my main computer so I'm using Windows 2000 . Only download the DLL if you can find a safe source

@Josh Mooney: Thanks, I responded .

@Bran flakes91093: Dude how did you manage that?! That's a crazy score, now I'll have to go try and beat it (I'm not even sure I can). As for the buildings, usually you can fly off the platforms, turn in mid-air, and get back on. But sometimes the buildings do block the path, an error on my part

Bran flakes91093
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2010 20:45 Edited at: 12th Aug 2010 20:48
Quote: "Dude how did you manage that?!"

TTYTT, I'm actually bad at the jumping part, so I just hold in the spacebar and continually jump over and over.

Oh and I don't look at my score often. It makes me nervous.

-Gavin Russell Baker
Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2010 21:04 Edited at: 12th Aug 2010 21:31
Hmmm, maybe the jumping strategy is too effective, I could halve point gain while in the air

@All:
By the way, I found a HUGE bug in the game if you choose to only use normal mapping. I'm going to go try and fix it now...

EDIT: Attaching fixed version. The first post doesn't want to edit so I'm attaching it here...

Attachments

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2010 23:04
Quote: "@TheComet: Thanks . I hadn't thought about relief mapping. That shader uses a normal map and a heightmap, right? Maybe I'll go back and add it for fun later on"

Welcome

The shader uses a normal map and a heightmap, but the heightmap is drawn to the alpha channel

As to my score, I got the following (without cheating)

BTW, how do you get up on top of the buildings? I haven't managed that yet...

TheComet

spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2010 00:28
Yay, had to download MSVCP71.DLL and MSVCR71.DLL to get it working. Appears these files are not part of Windows 7 and not part of any framework, which means downloading them off third party sites.

I presume new version of DBPro is what you compiled game in and that needs these files, which could be annoying if all Win7 users have to source these files. Not your fault though!

Anyway back to the game and have to agree it's a great looking game with all those shaders and the speed is phenomonal to boot. Well done. Will play properly at the weekend.

Boo!
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2010 00:34
Doing a forum search and it is more than likely you are using IanM's Matrix plugins and apparently that needs those two files to work, so problem solved I think.

Boo!
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2010 00:47
I have Windows 7 and I didn't need to download any DLLs. Could be they came with Visual Studio 2010?

Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
I think it's the visual basic runtime files. or something :p

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2010 02:52
@ Sixty Squares
Ok, that was fun and all, but I have sort of a complaint/request:

Can you add mouse support for turning, using the arrow keys to turn is never how my brain thinks to work in any games except racing games.
As well as this, when I'm holding jump, I want to be able to turn at the same time but my keyboard doesn't register you're pressing left-arrowkey if you're holding down space. - It's probably just an old keyboard.

Regardless, I loved it and want to play more, but I just can't stand those controls.

Please please please make a new version with mouse support as an option or something at least, so I can turn properly and get a decent score for once.

Red Eye
Years of Service
User Offline
@COwbox: That would make it WAYYY to easy... I think thats the fun part... Because really,, if u can just point with ur mouse where you want to go... it would be far to easy.

Great job on the game, but really low fps.... + you dont clean everything after quiting... Because i ran with a memory tool and after quiting it still had some left... if u get me... Anyway.. good job on this.

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2010 16:38
@ Red Eye
Well, if he doesn't want to do mouse control, can he make it WASD or something.

I just really can't turn left while pressing space - never could in any of my old games.

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2010 20:33 Edited at: 13th Aug 2010 20:35
@TheComet: If you jump while the character is auto-jumping you can get a boost. Or you could just get lucky and have the level drop down a few levels while some platforms remain high up. You can then run on those and then leap to the buildings . By the way, the picture you posted is the benchmark score . Did it not save your score? Did you quit out too early?

@spooky: Thanks. Yes, I am using the new version of DBPro and IanM's plugins. I didn't know they would cause a problem on Windows 7.. If you managed to find a safe place to get the DLL from, perhaps you could post it up on the forum somewhere for other Windows 7 users with similar problems.

@Red Eye: Low FPS even with the shaders off and a 800x600 resolution? It might have to do with two of the textures being 700x700 instead of a power of 2. As for deleting all of the media, I had been using FLUSH VIDEO MEMORY but I guess that doesn't work. I just tried to add a new function that deletes the objects/sounds/images/effects manually but my computer threw a memory error when I compiled the program (I hadn't even run the new code...). I think it has something to do with Windows 2000, so I can't really add much at the moment . Does DBP delete arrays and variables automatically upon exit, or do I have to use UNDIM?

@C0wbox: Lol, you don't really like my controls much huh . It's fine though, everyone is different. I managed to add WASD movement (luckily it didn't crash). The newest version (August 13, 2010) is attached and will be updated in the first post shortly

Attachments

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2010 20:50 Edited at: 13th Aug 2010 20:51
Quote: "By the way, the picture you posted is the benchmark score"

What? *looks at picture*

Noooooooooo!!! My beautiful score! WHY did it not save?!

Oh well... I went ahead and made another:

I was still not able to get on top of the roofs... I will try some more

TheComet

spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2010 22:38
The best place to get those files is from the IanM's matrix thread, first post where the VC++ files can be directly downloaded from this site.

Shame that as well as persuading end users to install DX9 when most think DX10 or DX11 being installed should be enough, that have to also install odd dll files if certain plugins have been used!

I might confirm these facts with IanM later on main forum.

Anyway, great game!

Boo!
Mr2Fa$t
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2010 05:31 Edited at: 14th Aug 2010 09:45
This is a very addicting game! Keep it up!

Synthol Guy says: "Para Cima, Em Baixo."

Dr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2010 05:52
This is a cool game, but I suck at it. The falling into place buildings remind me of Inception. Had to turn off the shaders to get it to run OK, but it still looked good.
C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2010 13:13
@ Sixty Squares
How are you calculating FPS by the way?

Because mine claims to be running at like 30/31... but my eyes would notice it and they say its running about 60.

I'd also be very surprised if it ran at 30/31 on a nVidia Geforce 9800 GT with 3GB DDR2 and a DuelCore...

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2010 23:29
@TheComet: Nice score

@spooky: Thanks! And thanks for helping sort out the Matrix1 + Windows 7 issues.

@Mr2Fa$t: Wow how did you even... I haven't even been able to get close to that kind of score. Did you just run on the platforms like everyone else? Great score I'll be surprised if anyone can beat it

@Dr Tank: Thanks! And you make a good point-- the falling buildings aspect is a bit like Inception. I just wanted to do something interesting with the level instead of it just appearing instantly in front of you.

@C0wbox: Did you try the WASD version?
I'm calculating the FPS with the screen fps() command, but I'm using the VSync flag on the SET DISPLAY MODE command. Maybe that has something to do with it?

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2010 00:03
Aye I tried it, but this time I got annoyed at the slow turn speed and the fact buildings kept spawning themselves in my way so I ended up making silly mistakes. (A mouse would solve both of these problems )

And I'm not sure why the screen fps() command is apparently giving out half the true value. - There should be no reason for this, the only reason I can think of would be the shaders or if you're using multiple cameras for anything. (Multiple cameras messes up the command statistic(1) for some reason.)

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2010 21:45
I think a better steering would be to actually calculate an angle from the input keys (ex. upkey+leftkey are pressed, results in a 315° angle, downkey is pressed, results in a 180° angle etc...) and add that value to the camera y angle to create an angle for the player offset by the camera, and then rotate the player in that angle using curvevalue() commands.

Much like the control of Mario in Super Mario 64, or like Conker in CBFD ^^

I think the mouse would make it too easy...

TheComet

Happy Cheesecake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2010 04:54 Edited at: 18th Aug 2010 04:54
I like the controls. In fact, I like them so much, that I played until I was satisfied with my score. Which ended up being...

Great work, it's a great attention grabber.

Attachments

Happy Cheesecake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2010 07:32 Edited at: 18th Aug 2010 07:33
God, I love this game. But it's too addicting. Is there any way to make it less fun? Maybe make it punish you the longer you play, so you'll stop playing, because man, I am wasting too much time playing it. Sorry for the double post, but I thought this extremely tedious score deserved it.

I swear, I need a life.

Attachments

darimc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2010 15:44 Edited at: 18th Aug 2010 15:45
Damn, and I thought I was good. It's so fun, I can't not play it.

Attachments

darimc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2010 18:39 Edited at: 18th Aug 2010 18:39
Alright, I did it. I go the top score . My next goal is for 100,000.

Attachments

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2010 02:03 Edited at: 10th Oct 2010 00:39
@C0wbox: Yeah, I'm using multiple cameras so maybe that's it. As for the mouse control, it'd be difficult to keep the turning rates the same for both controls, so one could have an advantage over the other... As for the buildings, that's a problem with the way I've got them set up

@TheComet: That's an interesting idea. But I think I'll leave the controls where they are for now.

@Happy Cheesecake: Hahaha thanks That's a pretty awesome score, better than I've ever done

@darimc: Thanks! Your score... is beautiful . It's over 3 times my best score; I feel bad about my skills now Looks like we could have a little competition on our hands though (you, Mr2Fa$t and Happy Cheesecake). If you reach 100,000 I'll be very amazed.

To my knowledge, you hold the highest score so far

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2010 02:27
@ Sixty Squares
xD No worries.

But I reckon if you fixed the way the buildings can do that (you know, write a special case to ensure they can't, whilst maintaining the rest of the engine's set up) you could probably make this game commercial/release it more officially.

I mean, as much as I'm no good at it, it is a good game concept.

Benjames8
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2010 03:33
Very nice.. I was the 667 person to view but I didnt get a high score mer.
Mr2Fa$t
Years of Service
User Offline
Oh, it's on!

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2010 06:40
Very fun and addicting. Got only 19,464, but I'll probably play again later.
Eminent
Years of Service
User Offline
You should enter this in the netbook competition.

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2010 15:09 Edited at: 24th Aug 2010 15:10
@C0wbox: Thanks I was thinking about that but I'd have to do a sound overhaul and change the way I'm handling the buildings. Plus the random level generator could be better than it is now. Maybe I'll remake it one day.

@Benjames8: Thanks. You'll beat the high score eventually once you get used to it

@Mr2Fa$t:

@Uncle Sam: Thanks, and nice score. Let me know if you beat it

@Eminent: I was thinking about that but I'd need to add an online high-score table, which I have no idea how to do. I'd also have to do a sound/music overhaul (and change the building generation, but that probably wouldn't be too hard.) I'm considering it though!

Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2010 13:30
This looks like a fantastic game!

Have you considered dumbing down the shaders a bit, and submitting t to the Intel AppUp competiton?

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=173613&b=40 for more information, you could win a $5000 holiday, $1000 cash prize or a new netbook.
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2010 13:04
This is very cool!

It kind of reminds me of some of the ending dream levels from Metro2033.

Like the generation effect where you can see the platforms falling in the distance!

My only real crit would be the fact that sometimes the color randomiser is too dark, and I can't see where I'm going and die!

Other than that it's top!

Sleep is over-rated.
Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2010 16:21
@Daneil TGC: Yes, I have considered it as mentioned in the previous post

@Butter fingers: Thanks! As for the sky color, that's probably the night cycle. I agree, it can be a little dark sometimes... The light blue moonlight should brighten it up though, maybe the buildings were blocking it ...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 16:46:39
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 16:46:39