Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Work In Progress / [x9] Vague - Survival Horror Game [Development Thread]

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2010 23:15 Edited at: 26th Oct 2010 22:06

Developer: Juzi

Story: Coral City is a peaceful place to live, and a profitable place for business with its idyllic neighbourhoods and sky-high skyscrapers. Children playing in the playgrounds, adults doing their every-day tasks. Located on a huge island west from California and with a reasonable 1.6 million population, Coral City is a place where everyone wants to live.

Until that one day.

Everything happened so quickly. There was a huge viral outbreak in the outskirts of the city. In just one day, the population went from 1.6 million to only a couple of thousand. Those who are still alive are desperately fighting to stay alive. Ryan Jefferson is one of these survivors. He doesn't know anything about the outbreak, because he was sleeping at work with earplugs. Talk about lazy worker.

Description: Some of you may remember the old Vague thread and the old Vague. When my PC broke down, it made me realize: "Man... this game is bad". What made me think like this was that the second demo which I made for the game was actually better than the game itself. There were around 40 levels in the real game with very, very varying quality from bad to okay all the way to really bad. Fixing a 40 level game which is basically rotten isn't a very worthwile task.

So now I'm starting a brand new Vague with a whole new concept but still the same idea. The game is a zombie game, as you may have already realized, but I'm not trying to make a typical run 'n gun zombie shooter. Most of the gameplay time is actually going to elapse in investigating the environment and immersing to the game's world. And I'm not talking about just a basic text appearing when you press "E" near an object. There will be an inventory system in the game. In the inventory you can use, examine and mix items. This system will be utilized in the puzzles and many other things. For example if you find a special key which needs one extra part to work and you find it, you can mix them together and use on a door. Or you can also make improvised weapons. For example spray can + lighter: Flamethrower!

Of course there will be fights with zombies and other monsters to keep the player on their toes. And of course horror hasn't been forgotten. Expect some crazy hallucination effects!

Screenshots:

Features:

- 100% custom media
- Investigation system featuring inventory and more
- Some of the features from the official FPSC updates like iron sights, steady framerate and talking NPCs
- Some of the Project Blue features
- Professional soundtrack

Videos:

First level. Click

Small Credits:

Project leader, level designer and soundtrack composer: Me
3D Artist (entities): Kravenwolf and mgarand
3D Artist (characters): Decneo
Shader coder: Creator of Zombies
Segment textures: Wolf and Azekriel
HUDs, menus and art in general: MetalDevil123
Scripter: Kinda open but maybe Marc Steene
Sound engineer: ArmageddonGames
Overlays: anayar and PW Productions

Deflate the mystery of living in the most heartless fashion I could ever imagine. No pretense of decor.
Bootlicker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2010 23:24
Quote: "- Some of the features from the official FPSC updates like iron sights, steady framerate and talking NPCs
- Some of the Project Blue features"

hmm, how you gonna get PB and an update in one?

Juzi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2010 23:27
Well this game is going to take long to make so I'm pretty sure that Project Blue will be coded to 1.18 (or beyond) while I'm making this game

Deflate the mystery of living in the most heartless fashion I could ever imagine. No pretense of decor.
SekoIdiootti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2010 00:14 Edited at: 21st Aug 2010 00:14
Those two screenshots just are! It's REALLY comepwaompwaomzombombering!
Nothing to criticise, except that the table in the second screenshot seems to have no shadow? It might be my eyes though, that cause that.

And the story is awesomorsoe!

2 Rogues
Years of Service
User Offline
Ahhh, my #1 most anticipated horror game of all time is back. good work Juzi!
michael x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2010 00:20
this is going to be good finally get what you have been up to.I can only guess who the character are. maybe a attack dog. hummm.

more than what meets the eye

Welcome to SciFi Summer
DarkJames
Years of Service
User Offline
Amazing Work

PW Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2010 07:26
Wow! Finally you released another WIP, was actually waiting a bit since your last

If something is perfect, it probably doesn't work. -PWP
charger bandit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2010 10:16
Oh yea one of the coolest horror games is back. Awesome.

Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2010 11:57
That's a very nice logo you got on your post! The guy who made it must have been a genious... and damn handsome too! :-P

But the screens are awesome!
Quote: "- 100% custom media"

Cool! This is what will make this game even more... umm... cutom!

My old YouTube account got deleted. My new account is called MetalFPSC. thanks for your time!
AbdulAhad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2010 12:11
This is absolutely amazing! The screens are flawless and very realistic!

Abdul Ahad
Juzi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2010 13:48 Edited at: 24th Aug 2010 14:04
SekoIdiootti: The table certainly has a shadow because it's not dynamic. Haven't yet heard about a bug that static entities don't cast shadows with ligthmapquality at 50

2 Rogues: Aww. Thanks

michael x: Mmm... maybe

DarkJames: Thanks mate!

PW Productions: Thank you! And I thought I was forgotten around here

charger bandit: If you thought like that about old Vague, I'm sure you'll gonna love this one

Metal Devil123: Yeah I wonder that too . He's really good with HUDs and all that

AbdulAhad: Thanks! I was actually aiming for a realistic look rather than skeletons hanging from walls and stuff like that . There will be sick parts in the game though, I can reveal that much

Thanks for all the comments! Keep 'em coming

EDIT: To show you guys how far Vague has come, here's a small comparison on the old Vague, and the new Vague. You'll never guess which one is the old

Decneo
Years of Service
User Offline
I was waiting a long time to see the WIP thread of the Vague-game now it's awesome.

Personal 3D Modeler for your game.
Johnski
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2010 16:04
They look awesome!! well done dude

[img]
[/img]
Soviet176
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2010 18:56
Woot! very good looking, screens make the office atmosphere look real. Will we be seeing a tech demo soon?

Putting fear back into sliced bread since 4th May 2010
michael x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2010 20:13
the first pic is the old one.wow that a big improvement.your lights in the new one fits better. the detail on the floor very nice. it brings this game to life. I cant wait to see more this is very good work.

more than what meets the eye

Welcome to SciFi Summer
Juzi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2010 23:25
Thanks for the comments!

Soviet176: I have no plans for a tech demo. I will publish a real demo which shows all the features used in the game and overall introduces the player to the "world of Vague". This is far in the future though.

The game's websites are under development though I can't give exact dates yet when it's going to be up. In the websites you can read all kinds of interesting and less interesting stuff about Vague and the development process.

Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2010 23:30
Quote: "I will publish a real demo which shows all the features used in the game and overall introduces the player to the "world of Vague". This is far in the future though."

Slow good progress is better than fast bad progress.

And the Old vs. New screenies. I think the older one has alot more atmosphere you know. The bland blue floor and the no detail anywhere just amazes me! The hell with the new shot. :-P

No, really, the new screenie rocks! My vote still goes to that screenie!

My old YouTube account got deleted. My new account is called MetalFPSC. thanks for your time!
Juzi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2010 23:37
Quote: "Slow good progress is better than fast bad progress."

My thoughts exactly. I have same kind of principles as Remedy: I will do everything with love and precision and the game comes out when it's ready. No silly publish dates or anything.

Quote: "And the Old vs. New screenies. I think the older one has alot more atmosphere you know. The bland blue floor and the no detail anywhere just amazes me!"

Why you little...!

Thanks for the comment

PW Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2010 23:38
Are you using my Cracks n' Blood Overlays Pack? If not, you might want to check it out, I think it'd be perfect for you

Link:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=173265&b=24

Juzi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2010 23:39
Wow! Those are really high quality! I will definately use some of them. Thanks

Zay
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2010 23:55
Hmmm...What can I say!
The old/new comparison really reflects the on what a better designer you've became.I'm looking at these pictures and really trying to find something wrong,but no luck so far .
I really adore the 100% custom approach and that really gives this game that unique feeling.I would like too see enemy's in the future snapshots if that's ok?

Cheers!

Contact me in Skype,name- nejcplan
PW Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2010 00:40
Quote: "Wow! Those are really high quality! I will definately use some of them. Thanks "

Awesome! Thought you could use them

And I agree with Zay's comment, I'd like to see enemies and I like the custom approach as well. Nice work

da2020
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2010 05:32
that looks astonishing! but I agreed with Zay I'd like to see enemies as well
Decneo
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "that looks astonishing! but I agreed with Zay I'd like to see enemies as well "

you will see it soon.

da2020
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2010 07:10
@Deceneo ohhh so you're the one that was modelling the characters for this game?
Decneo
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "@Deceneo ohhh so you're the one that was modelling the characters for this game? "

yes,the whole characters enemies is mine

Juzi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2010 13:21
Yep! I'm happy to announce that Decneo is modelling all the characters for this game and is supporting me to make this game as good and polished as possible!

He has already made some characters for me, like the dogmare and a couple of monsters called "Unerrings" in the game, but they will be retextured to look more... ferocious. Check this thread for work in progress zombies and here for the dogmare

PW Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2010 19:56
What is your ambience setting at? It's hard to tell, I don't think it's at 0.

The Master Dinasty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2010 20:28
Quote: "What is your ambience setting at? It's hard to tell, I don't think it's at 0."

I think it is but its so lighted up (which is good) that when players enters a un-lit room you will notice that its set to zero.

Screens looks like a huge improvement! keep it up!

-Massap2

We are the magnificent Masters, builders of pyramids.
AlanC
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2010 06:43
I love the layout of the rooms, it looks good.

Juzi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2010 09:57 Edited at: 23rd Aug 2010 17:10
PW Productions and The Master Dinasty: I adjust the ambience in the test game (thanks to 1.17, the settings stay) so I'm not quite sure about the exact number but I think it's somewhere near 3-5. I'm not a big fan of 0 ambience because it produces unrealistic pitch black shadows, which are kinda rare in real life.

Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
Despite the real cheesy storyline, which is most common in Zombie games. The Level Design looks nice, and at least realistic, as most zombie games, you always have the one really grungy building, where as this it feels as if everyone just picked up and ran. So nice work on that.

PW Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2010 05:43
What you need now is missing ceiling panels

creator of zombies
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2010 12:53
Great work Juzi! I wondered what had happened to those shots after I saw them on MSN all that time ago. Glad to see your still 'devving'; keep up the good work, I look forward to seeing more! Small tip: Try changing your light hex code to '575757' and see how that alters the mood of the white lighting for your scene (You may like it. It's a favourite hex code of mine)

CoZ

-Demon Sun: Lead Developer-
Dead Man's Cradle: Lead Developer
Juzi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2010 13:27
Deathead: Thanks for the compliments! And I do know well that the basic story is very well... basic and cliché and all that, but the story will get alot deeper and it has some interesting twists and all that with characters with interesting personalities and background stories. What I'm trying to achieve with the story is that the fates of the characters really interest the player

PW Productions: That's a really good suggestion and in fact I originally tried to make some of the tiles missing, revealing the ventilation system above the ceiling, but I couldn't get it to look good because the segments overlapped my ceiling ENTITIES. Yep, I've made the ceiling with entities and the segment above overlapped it with really ugly fashion. I can make a little less interesting version with just missing tiles revealing complete blackness above though.

CoZ: Thank you! I've actually used a subtle blue color for the office lights to simulate a.. well officeish look. I have a text file in my Vague-folder called "HEX-Codes for Vague" and it actually contains colors similiar to what you suggested. A nice addition to that list so thanks

vortech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2010 13:38
Very nice looking. Fourth screenie was best.

Check for pure horror.
Juzi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2010 21:17
Thanks vortech

I fixed the overlapping problem and was able to make a pretty nice looking scene with ceiling tiles missing and revealing a ventilation system above them. Taking a screenshot doesn't really do it justice, you have to see it in motion

AdrianMa
Years of Service
User Offline
Very nice, a game with 100% custom media is a heck of a challenge. But judging from your progress, you are completely capable of making an amazing game with nothing but your own work.

-Adrian

Rest in peace Heltor. God bless you.
Karezma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2010 21:52
fps creator game I want to do with how dark spooky place, but I'll do
Decneo
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "fps creator game I want to do with how dark spooky place, but I'll do "

You should do mate

Juzi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2010 10:49
AdrianMa:

Quote: "But judging from your progress, you are completely capable of making an amazing game with nothing but your own work."

Actually I'm "just" the project leader/organizer, level designer and soundtrack composer. I have lots of talented people helping me out here. Actually I'll put a small credits list to the first post

Red Eye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2010 12:17 Edited at: 26th Aug 2010 12:17
Looks great, keep thisup!!

Quote: "Actually I'm "just" the project leader/organizer, level designer and soundtrack composer. I have lots of talented people helping me out here. Actually I'll put a small credits list to the first post "

Is that just me, or does that change my view on the game. , It looks great tho.

Karezma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2010 14:45
decneo help me fix the program for days trying to find it there or something
Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2010 15:23 Edited at: 26th Aug 2010 15:26
Quote: "HUDs, menus and art in general: MetalDevil123"

W00T!!
Quote: "Is that just me, or does that change my view on the game. "

I think it's still as cool... and I hope your computer wont come too rebellious to you now! Or that you remember to save to a memory stick or so...

And I am excited abotu the enemies, but am I the only one that's excited about the guns too? And who the hell makes them?

Juzi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2010 19:25
Red Eye:
Quote: "Is that just me, or does that change my view on the game."

Heey, don't judge me (joke). Anyways, If I made all the media myself, the game would literally take... ten years to develope or even more. That's why I have people helping me to get this game out in some reasonable timeline.

Metal Devil123:

Quote: "And I am excited abotu the enemies, but am I the only one that's excited about the guns too? And who the hell makes them?"

The weapons and who makes them are still kinda open. If I won the lottery, I could have 20 ErrantAI's weapons, but I am just a student with limited resources so I'll have to find another way of getting custom guns. Most likely there will be small amount of fully custom weapons, and the rest of them re-textured versions of current (or upcoming) EAI's weapons.

teamhalo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2010 22:57
Wow these screens just blew me away they look great all of you guys are doing a great job, that media is just awesome. Keep up the good work all.

NEW EMAIL: tony.gaglio@yahoo.com
Juzi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2010 05:26
Thanks teamhalo

UPDATE

Here's a video of the first level. It's just made to show the level design and media used in the game, there isn't any gameplay stuff yet, like fighting with monsters or exploring the environment.

Enjoy

Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2010 05:48
I really should've been commenting on this thread more often. this game looks truly incredible and something definately noteworthy!

are those valve pipes in the little maintencance gantry?

imageflock.com/img/1272671763.jpg[/img]
skype = isaacpreston. I want to talk to YOU
Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2010 11:54
Nice video And BTW, I checked the old Vague video too, that was uploaded by Arziekel or something like that...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 00:13:19
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 00:13:19