Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Shapes: In Action - A Multiplayer Action Game

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2010 01:58 Edited at: 22nd Aug 2010 02:00
Hello, this is my first W.I.P. and started as a project to help me learn how to use DarkNet properly. The basic idea behind this game was to create something which used NO external media, so that I can create a purely gameplay based experience.

This, when finished, will be multiplayer action game based entirely on game play and hopefully will work across the internet, and although I still need to do a fair bit of work on it, I feel it is ready for W.I.P thread.

Networking wise, the server software is at about 80-90% and the client is at about 50%, I need to allow for the server to send custom maps and real-time settings manipulation, as well as some lag compensation. The client currently only needs to have attack functions written and a couple for dead reckoning and character creation as well as a bit more on the gameplay.

Pretty much the entire world is dictated by the server, including objects, size of the player and colours. I hope to add more power to the server so that people can make their own game as such from my software.

Here's a list of things I need to do or wish to do:
Lag Compensation/dead reckoning
Attack functions and improved gameplay
Match making server
High scores

I'm afraid it's not quite ready to release a demo yet, but hopefully by the end of this week, if that cant hold you over here's a video.

and the obligatory pic:

All comments welcome, and thanks in advance

BASIC programmers never die, they GOSUB and don't RETURN.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2010 03:18
It's interesting so far.

Perhaps a description of what is what would help to clarify whats going on.

Are you sending movement commands to the server, and the larger cone is then moving in response to what the server tells it?

Is the smaller cone only reacting to the local client's commands?

Interplanetary Funk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2010 10:01 Edited at: 22nd Aug 2010 10:03
The purple cone is representing the player, the player will be able to choose a shape once I have completed it and each shape will have its own ability. The client is sending information to the server about the players current position, target position, speed etc, which the server then processes and decides what information to send to the other players.

I plan on having a TDM style of game, where most information is declared through the colour and shape of an object (red for enemy, green for ally and purple for the player or whatever the server decides these colours should be). As well as that the server will have the majority of (if not full) control of the feel/atmosphere of the game. In that video all the changes were made on the server running the same client software.

The small sphere you see moving about is the cursor, at the moment it's there for debug purposes, but I may leave it in.
The control system is currently designed so your shape will move towards wherever you click (the cursor) and you hold right click to rotate the camera. I plan to implement WASD controls too and let the server decide on which control scheme to use.

For the attacks, at the moment I am considering particles, but may use other methods as I have never used them before.

I'm hoping that much of the gameplay will be decided by the people actually playing, which will hopefully either lead towards a team tactics based gameplay, such as that you find in TF or CS, or a fast paced gameplay where the fastest player is king, but that will completely depend on the people playing.

BASIC programmers never die, they GOSUB and don't RETURN.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 15:13:45
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 15:13:45