Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

2D All the way! / Artist's Hello!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2010 07:40
Oh hi!

I'm a musician and artists, currently looking into programming and there's something about dB that's very appealing

I've seen a couple of topics with art in it, so I thought I'd post a couple of pics here from a game I'd like to make at some point:

Rhea Jackson and Captain J. Splinter:

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2010 10:52
I like the design, very monkey island. So whats your game?

tunners
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2010 20:46
sort of a platform-shooter with a twist.

you control two characters at once (sort of )

you control Rhea, she's very athletic so can jump high etc, but she has no offensive capabilities whatsoever. she's controlled with WASD.

in terms of weapons, you control a magic picture frame (which was made out of Captain Splinter's pegleg after he died) with the mouse. it can only move in a small circular zone around Rhea but can blast magic in the direction it's facing.

you can also double jump by pointing the frame downwards and firing a blast.

of course, i'm completely new to programming, so that pipe dream is up there with my plan to open a bakery
LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2010 02:38
Looking very cool. May I ask what program you used to draw them? Have you used 2D animation software?

So many games to code.......so little time.
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2010 03:26
Actually sounds like an interesting idea. Would be cool to see in action. I think if you break everything down and work on each function separately it's possible to build. DB is easy to learn as-well so it's closer to possible then impossible.

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2010 15:21
Charming graphics.

luskos
Years of Service
User Offline
Very good work!What software you used for making?I'm targeting to something similar and i'm new with the brush.Mainly i'm interested what do you use to animate characters in 2d?

Coding is My Kung Fu!
And My Kung Fu is better than Yours!
tunners
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2010 07:32
hey thanks a lot for the nice comments

LBFN and luskos: I first did some sketches on graph paper, then scanned in the best one. Then I used Photoshop and the pen tool to draw out the main lines and added details using my old wacom graphire 3. Then I just used the brush tool and tablet to colour everything in.

About animating, for sprites I use GraphicsGale and for bigger drawings I use Toon Boom Studio. I do need more practice at animation though
LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2010 16:34
You obviously have artistic talent to be able to draw/fill like that.

I have the free version of Graphics Gale, but I have only drawn a couple of things with it. It seems the free version does not allow for animation.

Since I lack the talent you do, sometimes I will create a 3D model, texture it, grab a screen pic of it and make adjustments to it in order to make 2D stuff. It makes for better images than I could draw. Anyway, good going. Looking forward to seeing them included in a game.

I'm not really a programmer.....I only play one on TGC.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 16:02:49
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 16:02:49