Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPS Creator X10 / Shader Reflections Question

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi @ all,
I have a little question and you might help me with that.
Ok, lets build a room in FPS Creator X 10 two segments high and for example 4 x 4 segments
large. So, then we add a light with and range of 300 at the middle of our room and at the first
segment, i mean the floor. After that i add some cool space doors
from the scifi pack that comes with the fps creator x 10. So now we build the game/or the preview with
everything at high and full shader effects. Now i got these cool shader reflections at the door, looks realy awesome. BUT i didn´t got them at my
segment walls, floor etc... ( I build them in Firma V2.2). I searched through the files of the other segments (for example the armory) or the doors and
find out that there are some "normal map textures" in dds format that got these
violet blue colour. How can i made them cause i think these are the reason why the door and the other segments got these cool shader reflections.
And if i know how to made them, how can i add them to my segments i build with the firma v2.2???
Is there a programm with that i can convert my texture for the wall to an normal map, i mean these violet blue colour textures?
I realy hope someone here can help me to made my game full of shader reflections =)
Soviet176
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2010 06:20
They segments do not work with shaders because no shaders have been applied to it, as far as I know you must specify the shader in the .FPS files of the segments, but you might also have to make a normal map for the texture for the shaders to work.

Putting fear back into sliced bread since 4th May 2010
The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2010 12:34
You must have a normal map for the shader to work with out one it will default to just using the D2 texture.

Mystic Mod - Putting the fear back into sliced bread since 4th May 2010
Windows 7 Pro, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.8Ghz, 4GB DDR3, Dual nvidia SLI 9800GT 1GB, 1.5TB Hard disk
Squalker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2010 13:43 Edited at: 7th Sep 2010 13:44
Yes there is a great app called "CrazyBump" it will make normal maps from you texture files for you..

Also there a tutorial available for setting up textures... here is a link..

Texture Tutorial
The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2010 16:32
Crazy bump is an amazing program and so simple to get started with too.

Windows 7 Pro, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.8Ghz, 4GB DDR3, Dual nvidia SLI 9800GT 1GB, 1.5TB Hard disk
jules
Years of Service
User Offline
ok cool i will try this programm^^
jules
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok yeah i´ve got a normal map from my wall texture "white brick" now but what must i paste in the fpe that it will work? my normal map calles white_brick_N.dds
here is my fps
Gencheff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2010 20:20
You have to add the effect.

effect1 = path to normal mapping effect.

effect15 = ...

And so on.

Same with texturen0(1,2,3,etc.) = path to normal map.
textures = Specular Map

Yeah I said it.FIRST PERSON SOCCER!
jules
Years of Service
User Offline
where did i add the path to my normal map? whats a specular map? i´m sorry this is new for me =)
jules
Years of Service
User Offline
i´m working on a commercial game, is there a freeware program that can do normal maps like crazy bump, cause the price for commercial use is very very high...
science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
ok it is in the texture tutorial what is needed to be done.

and it says what a spec map is but for the meantime i will tell you

ok a normal map is that bluey purple type thing which creates the bumps in the object

then

you need a spec map

the specular map is the layer that makes things shinier or more brighter so if you want a part of whatever your texturing you would have it whiter and to be less bright or shiny go to black.

to do this copy the d2 texture
then desaturate (no colour black and white) and play with the brightness etc. then create an alpha chanel mask then fill the whole area with black so the image looks blank then apply the mask

then you have your spec map.

so for textures
do 2 of the origi9nal texture

ie.
wooden hut wall_D.dds
wooden hut wall_D2.dds
wooden hut wall_N.dds
wooden hut wall_S.dds

so this is how many textures you need to get the effect

then go to fpe and just under the texture

will see a line saying

effect= (insert the effect here)

so here is how should look

but this is for animated moving entities

;visualinfo
textured = wooden hut wall_D2.dds
effect = effectbank\bumpbone\bumpbone.fx

;decals

if doing a static entity or segment should be

;visualinfo
textured = wooden hut wall_D2.dds
effect = effectbank\bump\bump.fx

;decals

hope this helps

an unquenchable thirst for knowledge of game creation!!!
jules
Years of Service
User Offline
at first thanks for the nice help i understand all and everything is clear only i´m wondering why there is this wooden hut wall_D.dds i meand for what is this texture?
The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2010 23:00 Edited at: 9th Sep 2010 23:00
The _D textures are used for creating the dynamic textures in-game these work side by side with _N and _S.

If you are not using a shader you use the _D2 texture that already has things like shadows and shader effects applied, this is a static texture and the game engine cannot do anything more with it so if you _D2 texture is very light then even a very dark game will have light textures as the light objects do not effect the texture colours.

If you are using a shader the game engine requires 3 files _D _S and _N this will then produce the same type of file as _D2 with shadows and shader effects on it. But it will be real time (dynamic) and will change depending on level lighting and so on so you can much more accurate colours on textures and can apply shaders to them without the need for compiling a _D2 before hand.

That is the very basics it does get more complicated i hope that helps you understand.

jules
Years of Service
User Offline
ok i got it. now i got shader reflections on my segments i create with firma v2.2 but there i have another question. i only place one light in the room i got reflections and everything but everything is very bright. I put bloom of and the ambient light on 0 but there is still everything very bright, i mean i got no "black" corners and everything...what can i do?
jules
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2010 19:25 Edited at: 20th Sep 2010 20:34
Can anyone please help me? I got a screenshot here of my problem:
http://www5.pic-upload.de/20.09.10/jg46ku9fbgib.jpg
Squalker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2010 05:55 Edited at: 21st Sep 2010 05:57
Quote: "Can anyone please help me? I got a screenshot here of my problem:
http://www5.pic-upload.de/20.09.10/jg46ku9fbgib.jpg"

this is caused by the Specular Maps alpha channel being white.. In FPSC X10 having white the specular maps alpha channel makes things appear lite like a light in the game... to correct this you need to edit the alpha channel of your _S file.... you edit this channel in Photoshop or gimp...

Make sure the alpha channel is all black even if you have to paint it black in the program then resave your _S file..

make sure to run fps cleaner before you retest the segment to get rid of the old DBO and BIN files... so it make new ones with the new spec map...

Hope this helps

Squalker
jules
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2010 20:20 Edited at: 21st Sep 2010 21:54
how can i make the alpha channel black with gimp? and gimp didn´t export .dds files. is there a program who convert jpg to dds? can someone please write me a little "tutorial" how to made a specular map in gimp and convert this jpg to dds for a working specular texture for fps creator?
How can i made it that the specular map looks transparent as a picture?
i made a screenshot that you know what i mean:
jules
Years of Service
User Offline
ok i got everything working woth the tutorial you gave me =)
I now made D, D2, N, and S Maps in Gimp like tutorial said. All my files have a size of 2 MB isn´t that a little bit to big? How can i made the dds files smaller in gimp 2? please help me =)
seth zer0
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2010 10:33 Edited at: 6th Oct 2010 10:36
Quote: "Crazy bump is an amazing program and so simple to get started with too."

Isn't Crazybump like $300.00 dollars though. Shadermap pro works grate and its only $20.00 dollars or gimps/nvidia's photoshop plug for normal maps are also good and there free.
I just think $300.00 is a little to steep for most fps creator user when there is cheap alternatives out there that work just as good..

Quote: "All my files have a size of 2 MB isn´t that a little bit to big? How can i made the dds files smaller in gimp 2? please help me =) "

@jules
Try scaling down your images to something like 1024x1024 or 512x512. that should help that part out.

jules
Years of Service
User Offline
i already hace 512 x 512 but gimp makes so big files (d, d2, n, and s textures i mean!)
seth zer0
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2010 07:39
You are saving them as .dds right. and you did install the plug-in(.dds) and all that good stuff for gimp right. All my 2048x2048 are 2.00mb or a little more. But a 512x512 in dds format should only be around half a mb or slightly more but not much..

jules
Years of Service
User Offline
is it so bad that i have 1,5 mb per texture? i mean can i build a game without any performance problem (if the computer is kick ass ^^)
seth zer0
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2010 12:27
Yeah it not a prob at all in X10. Cause you need a good card to run it anyways so a 1.5mb texture is not a problem. Heck most of my texture in my x10 game are at least 2mb or more...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 16:09:52
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 16:09:52