Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Zelda clone

Author
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2010 00:29 Edited at: 21st Nov 2010 07:49

I've been toying around with this idea for awhile, finally got off my butt and started it. I'm actually making this for a remake competition but using DBP for quick prototyping.

I used my tilemap editor(see my other WIP page) to create the overworld map, which took me about 4 hours of my sunday morning. I made the map weeks ago when testing my editor, however, the initial image I used as a reference to the overworld was inaccurate and so I had to remake it by looking at the original game. (emulators are great, and yes I do owe a legit copy of zelda)

I have the screen transitions complete and collision system as well as an animated Link. Attack animation is only partially complete, he can swing a sword but not shoot. Basic menu is complete, but not the secondary screen (where you view inventory and triforce).

I guess this is more of a showcase of how quickly my editor can help you make 2D games, as this was done in half a day, not counting the time to gather resources.

I found the graphics online somewhere, but the hearts I made with photoshop. I would like to make updated graphics for the game with a size of 48x48. If anyone fancies themselves an artist and willing to do a little artwork then let me know.

Here's the demo: Oct.5 [5:39pm]
http://zimnox.com/zelda/zelda.zip

Controls
- Arrow keys to move
- X is the A button (sword)
- Z is the B button (bombs)
- `(tilde) to toggle HUD

Nov. 20
- Added store purchasing
- Implemented stepladder (buggy)

Oct. 4
- restructured the map scrolling
- Added map secrets

Oct. 1
- Add ability to shoot sword

Sept. 30
- Finally added cave enter/exit animation
- Added selection to HUD items

Sept. 29
- Boomerang has been added, it will hit enemies and pickup items
- Enemies can now drop hearts, bombs, both rupees, and clock.
- Bug fix in the ztm tilemap
- Additional sound effects added
- New movement algorithm to help prevent getting caught up on tiny corners, Link will now slide a small amount to align with tile upon collision.

Also, I've exported the tilemap as a single image, so if anyone wants a copy of the entire overworld, here ya go. It's been zipped to about 3MB, the original JPG is over 12MB using the 32x32 tile size.
http://zimnox.com/zelda/zeldamap32.zip

"Only the educated are free" ~Epictetus
"Imagination is more important than knowledge..." ~Einstein
Dodga
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey, it's really nice man, looks pretty faithful to the original. It'd be nice to see updated graphics and maybe different character classes.
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2010 21:39
nice start. curious why the fps drops, tho. starts ~850 and then settles in somewhere ~750 about 30 seconds after launch. once or twice it dipped sub-700 than back to the 750 mark. it doesn't appear related to anything i'm doing (unless there's some key-press back-buffering or timer events going on) including screen-transitioning. the only thing i can think of is the midi loop/start/stop? it's ~750 and i'm not complaining or concerned, just curious.

Virtual Nomad @ California, USA . DBPro V7.5
AMD Phenomâ„¢ X4 9750 Quad-Core @ 2.4 GHz . 8 GB PC2-6400 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 3650 @ 512 MB . Vista Home Premium 64 Bit
LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2010 19:42
It has been a long time. Very nicely done so far. It seems like you have the screens setup very well. I kept going into caves hoping a new screen would pop up and tried to push the rocks, etc. Collision was a little sticky at times (trying to go up ladders, for example, was tough to get it lined up just right) but not too bad.

Computers do exactly what you tell them.........don't you hate that sometimes?
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2010 23:02
I haven't had any trouble with the collision, but Link's speed is also a lot higher than it would be in the actual game. It'll probably be easier after I slow him down.

No secret rooms or burning bushes yet, but that's coming soon. First I had to figure out a way to manage all the different caves, which is complete. I have about 7 of the caves done, I just have to finish inputting that stats of each one which requires me to go back and play the actual game some more. By the time I finish this I'm going to be real sick of playing zelda!

I've completed the HUD display and it slides down like it does in the actual game.

Virtual Nomad, I'm not sure why the frame rates jump around like that, could just be system related as other processes do stuff, I dunno. Be nice if DB had a profiler or something.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" ~ Arthur C. Clarke
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2010 22:17
Updated the download, lots of changes this time. You can place bombs (but no dmg is done), jab enemy octoroks with your sword and collect rupees. Managed to find the original music, so no more crappy midi. The smoke left from the bomb explosion and the tiny graphic shown when killing enemies I had to draw myself, couldn't find them online. Oh, and Link can take damage now if he walks into an enemy. Enemies don't move or shoot yet, but it's getting there. I have the stairs sound when walking into a cave, but the animation isn't there yet so you'll just see a pause.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" ~ Arthur C. Clarke
Profit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2010 21:35
It's looking very nice, Phaelax!

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2010 03:14
Came across an interesting article describing how Link moves in the original zelda game. At first I thought, duh isn't it obvious. But it does something I hadn't really noticed before, Link auto-adjust to align with the grid over time so when moving you're less likely to get caught up on objects. I'll definitely give a whack at implementing this, plus the technique could be useful for any tile-based game.

http://troygilbert.com/2006/10/the-movement-and-attack-mechanics-of-the-legend-of-zelda/

leo877
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2010 07:49
do you have the forest part were there a certain pattern in the forest to reach the graveyard. if you messed up you just go in circles. i remember that in the originalgame.

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2010 05:27
no not yet, still gotta work in a system to handle that.

Pilz X Schizo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2010 22:03
Great work, This is one of the projects I allways wanted to do. I Thought that article on how Link moves was fantastic, never realized that much went into it.

A site I happened across about 10 years ago called Zelda Classic is basicly the same thing as what your doing, only difference is it has mod support for making custom graphics and quests, may be of some interest for you to check out.
http://zeldaclassic.com/

Also here are a few Sprite Sheet Sites which may be of use to you, not sure if they are free to use, but they may be good for testing purposes.
http://tsgk.captainn.net/?p=showsheets&t=sr&sr=214
http://www.zeldac.com/sprite-sheets-and-tilesets/

If you havn't found anyone yet interested in doing some updated graphics I wouldn't mind giving it a shot. I'm not the best artist, but should be able to make something decent.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2010 03:16
If you want, you can use the original sprite sheet for the map as a template. If you follow that basic structure of tiles, then we can simply rename the tilemaps and view the new graphics. I have a few tiles made, but I'll be drawing a new overworld map for them. Larger tile size and more tiles per screen at a higher resolution. Code name for that project is Zelda:Return of the Dark One, but that's months away.

Thanks for the links, I had most of the sprites I needed but was missing a few of the special effects like the sword shooting.

I've updated the game (see 1st post), same download link.

Pilz X Schizo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2010 04:36 Edited at: 30th Sep 2010 08:40
It is coming along very good. I like the boomerang in action. There is some sort of problem with the collision though, going left and right into things doesn't seem work right. Not sure if you know about it or not.

I'll start tinkering away at the graphics, seems lately i'm more in a pixel artist type of mood than programming.

EDIT: Nevermind about the collision for now, can't seem to re-create it.

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2010 03:36
Quote: "do you have the forest part were there a certain pattern in the forest to reach the graveyard. if you messed up you just go in circles. i remember that in the original game"

I finished writing that part today, it was a big headache too. I spent a couple hours just trying to figure out how to manage it. First, I had to rework how the map was drawn as to allow for a zone to basically scroll into itself. I'm aware of two such secrets in the map, both have been added successfully and was probably the hardest part of this project so far.

Pilz X Schizo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2010 09:55
How is everything progressing? Just wanted to say the tile set is half complete. I also got a tile set going for the dungeons that I had to grab out of the game since there were none in the game folder. Hope things are going well and I also hope to post the tile sets here soon.

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2010 02:16
It's still coming along. I'm also make the game in GLB as well, so I'm trying to keep both at a somewhat similar level of completion. I have the cave stores completed in GLB, but I'll have to design a new system for them in DBP since it doesn't allow for arrays within UDTs. Very close to start working on the enemy AI, and then the overworld should be complete.

kenmo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Whoa! When I stumbled onto the forums for the first time in ages, I did not expect to see new projects from Phaelax!

Good to see you're still around somewhere and still making games.

Demo plays pretty smoothly, how far do you plan to take it? (I know you mentioned it's for a remake contest...)
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2010 02:01
long time no see kenmo!

well the contest ended sept 30, it was just for bragging rights no actual prizes. I plan to finish it with all 9 dungeons. I'm still added all the caves/secrets right now. There's more than I remembered.

kenmo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Good luck man, sounds like a hefty undertaking.

If I had the time (or talent?) I'd help with graphics, but in any case, let me know if you need some gameplay testing!
Pilz X Schizo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2010 04:26
Thought I would post the modified tile set, still needs work but been busy lately so progress slowed to a crawl. Still working on it when I have time. Hope progress is going good and can't wait to see next demo.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2010 03:09
Very cool, looked nice in the game. I liked the new rocks. Might wanna add a little more contrast to the white trees, the graveyard seemed a little bland.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 03:24:24
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 03:24:24